Let’s Talk About Kirk

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Give him another year? Jesus people act like he’s a bust lol.
I mean he hasn't exactly been impressive either. So yeah I think it's fair to see it as a situation where he has one more year to prove that he can be at least the number 2 guy before finding someone better to play that role.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
TBF Houston's offense was average with Hopkins when they didnt have Will Fuller's speed on the field. It would help if Kirk was a little more dynamic. Although I'm hoping it was just the ankle injury that slowed down his progress.

Houston has allowed 3.6 sacks per game the last two years which is #32 in the league. We need to protect the franchise QB unlike the Texans have done.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Houston has allowed 3.6 sacks per game the last two years which is #32 in the league. We need to protect the franchise QB unlike the Texans have done.
Watson does hold the ball trying to do way too much at times though, but I get what you’re saying.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Watson doesn't avoid the big hits like Murray does. He takes way too many of them & unless he figures something out real quick, those hits will shorten his NFL career.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Watson doesn't avoid the big hits like Murray does. He takes way too many of them & unless he figures something out real quick, those hits will shorten his NFL career.
Yes, the future to the Cardinals' success is Kyler Murray dropping to the ground in the face of pressure, like happened multiple times this year.

Or, alternatively, protect him. Maybe let's not ask him to avoid big hits.

bennyperrin23

Veteran
Reaction score
So let’s say fitz plays this year and the next year or two then we don’t have any problems at wr. But let’s say he retires after 2020 and then we have a double team on Hopkins and a bunch of decent unproven guys. Or we play to our strength and trade down to 13 with Tampa and take one. Pick up their 3rd. Just saying. I know rt is of high importance but

bennyperrin23

Veteran
Reaction score
Look at Kc, they had little to no run game but a ton of weapons on offense. We should base our model on that. Ruggs on the outside would fit perfectly. Imagine 2 slots in fitz and Hopkins and Kirk on the other side. That’s scary.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So let’s say fitz plays this year and the next year or two then we don’t have any problems at wr. But let’s say he retires after 2020 and then we have a double team on Hopkins and a bunch of decent unproven guys. Or we play to our strength and trade down to 13 with Tampa and take one. Pick up their 3rd. Just saying. I know rt is of high importance but
So let's say Justin Murray plays this year and Kyler Murray gets injured because we chose to retain a bottom third of the league OL. Fitz retires in 2021, but it doesn't really matter anyways, because Brett Hundley played most of the year, we went 4-12, and everyone is fired.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Look at Kc, they had little to no run game but a ton of weapons on offense. We should base our model on that. Ruggs on the outside would fit perfectly. Imagine 2 slots in fitz and Hopkins and Kirk on the other side. That’s scary.
Kansas City has a top offensive line. Their main weapons are Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce - a 5th round pick and third round pick.

bennyperrin23

Veteran
Reaction score
I hear you but is a rt really going to make a huge difference? We need a quality center too. I am so tired of us hiking the ball and getting rushed up the middle cause short arms can’t hold his own. If we go rt then we must also upgrade center or the rt doesn’t do anything. Drake ran pretty good behind the line at 5.2 yards a carry. We need Simmons or a wr period. End of story

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I hear you but is a rt really going to make a huge difference? We need a quality center too. I am so tired of us hiking the ball and getting rushed up the middle cause short arms can’t hold his own. If we go rt then we must also upgrade center or the rt doesn’t do anything. Drake ran pretty good behind the line at 5.2 yards a carry. We need Simmons or a wr period. End of story
Upgrading the offensive line wherever we can with elite talent will absolutely make a difference.

The available guys are great players. We already have a great WR. Move along, build the team as a whole, not focused on fancy stats.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Watson holds the ball, but I actually think he's a far better playmaker (at this point) in terms of escaping sacks and throwing on the run. Now is it possible our wrs just arent good at the scramble drill? Idk. We'll find out this season.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kirks stats through his first 16 starts are very similar to Larry's through his first 16 baring TD's. Larry had a fair few more TDs are you would expect from a bigger RZ threat.

Where they diverted is after that. Where Fitz enjoyed a continuous run in the team and a big target share in year 2 that accelerated him away stats wise. Kirk never had that.

Injuries have played a part in that. Also, he spent his 1st year with Wilks / McCoy / Rosen and his 2nd year with a rookie HC and rookie QB and had to learn two new systems.

He would have had close to 900 yards last year had he played a full season. In his first year had he played a full season with a similar number of target he would also have had around 900.

I think we need to cut him some slack. Kirk will be just fine as a WR2.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I thought after the TB game he was going to take off? Guess the TB defense was just that bad against the pass?
It was an outlier for Kirk, which is concerning.

He has been hurt a lot, and they have all been leg injuries, which is concerning.

On top of all that, he is a smaller foitball player for the NFL, so ....that is concerning that he gets hurt a lot and the injuries can add up on his legs, and slow him down.

He is a concern, and has been for me since day 1.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Give him another year? Jesus people act like he’s a bust lol.
Between the production and the injuries you do have to start wondering if he will sign a second contract for the Cardinals. It obviously comes down to dollar amount, but Sammy Watkins and Brandin Cooks make 16 mil per season. Are you willing to pay Kirk 13? I am not.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
That's not even remotely a good analogy. Outside of 1 punt return, Ted Ginn did absolutely, positively nothing when he was with us.

I am not talking about just the time Ginn was with the Cardinals but his overall history.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to add to our wr corp. but I based that with no knowledge of what this staff feels we currently have.

I think Kirk is part of the solution. If we don’t get hooked on the name ‘ Lamb’ here’s what’s Id like to see.

Trade down and pick up a 2nd round pick( maybe more) hopefully not lower than 12-15. Take an OT. I see us taking a guy like Andrew Thomas.

Now we take our newly acquired 2nd round along with an additional pick and move back up into the first round and grab a wr.

Maybe we’d be able to get one of the top 3 wr’s.

I know you need to find a trade partner but I thing there are 4 teams that will be clamoring to move up. The Taiders, Cowboys, Browns, maybe the Jets and maybe the Broncos.

I would try like hell to trade down once then trade back up into the first or trade down twice.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want to add to our wr corp. but I based that with no knowledge of what this staff feels we currently have.

I think Kirk is part of the solution. If we don’t get hooked on the name ‘ Lamb’ here’s what’s Id like to see.

Trade down and pick up a 2nd round pick( maybe more) hopefully not lower than 12-15. Take an OT. I see us taking a guy like Andrew Thomas.

Now we take our newly acquired 2nd round along with an additional pick and move back up into the first round and grab a wr.

I know you need to find a trade partner but I thing there are 4 teams that will be clamoring to move up. The Taiders, Cowboys, Browns, maybe the Jets and maybe the Broncos.

I would try like hell to trade down once then trade back up into the first or trade down twice.

There are about 20 W/O's who have top three round grades; no need to waste draft capital by moving up.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm more than happy with Nuk, Fitz and Kirk with Isabella, Butler and Johnson developing. That's a good group.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Not to mention, what if Fitz retires after 2020. Then you have Nuk and a who, no offense to Kirk and the 2nd year kids.

Not so sure that the Cards shouldn’t double down and pick Lamb, Jeudy, or Ruggs at 8 OR trade no lower than 12. Then SF doesn’t end up with the one we like more.

I think Ruggs has better hands than Jeudy, is better outside, and can take the top off better than Lamb. I believe this is a very real possibility and the RT talk is smoke. They can easily re-sign Marcus Gilbert on the cheap to start or backup Murray worst case.
Fitz wont retire until catches Jerry Rice, what's that, 2 seasons

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I'm more than happy with Nuk, Fitz and Kirk with Isabella, Butler and Johnson developing. That's a good group.

Totally agree...for this year.

If Fitz retires next year...it's Nuk, Kirk, with maybe Isabella, Butler, and Johnson (if all three develop). That is slightly better than 2019 IMO.

I don't think we should take a WR at #8 now. But if we trade down and get one of the top 3 WR's and a 2nd round pick (like Niang)...I am happy.

Or trade down and get one of the top 3 OT's and a 2nd round pick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA