Filling Those Holes

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Some posters seem obsessed on filling all the holes. I’ve seen scenarios focused on the number of picks acquired. Almost every team has a hole or 2, even the top teams. Big games are won mostly by great players making great plays. It’s okay if the Cards have to be pedestrian at a couple of positions. That’s part of the natural result of a salary cap. The trick is to look at holes and see which ones can be hidden to limit exposure. Take the second corner. If you have a great first CB, you move him around the field to take the opponents top receiver. Sure if would be nice to have 2 great corners, but 1 usually is enough to keep a team in most games.

Don’t get me wrong. On an earlier post I endorsed moving down if the first round went as I laid out; otherwise sit still.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
People might consider me as someone obsessed with "filling the holes," but really, I just want to make sure none of the positions end up with a starter who is a practice-squad player or cut on the final day of training camp by another team.

I normally think of a hole as a spot where someone poor could be upgraded upon, not multiple spots on the roster where we don't have a starter or even a backup.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hi I’m Zeem Freeze and I’m addicted to filling holes.

But in all seriousness, I had earlier stated there is no way we draft a WR with the 3 guys drafted last year still developing... I now have come around to think another WR is a possibility. If Brown doesn’t make it to us then I think we go with CeeDee which I would be fine with.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hi I’m Zeem Freeze and I’m addicted to filling holes.

But in all seriousness, I had earlier stated there is no way we draft a WR with the 3 guys drafted last year still developing... I now have come around to think another WR is a possibility. If Brown doesn’t make it to us then I think we go with CeeDee which I would be fine with.

Its gonna be WR, nobody panned out and Kliff uses a spread offense. Andy Isabelle seemed to small, KJ had drops and was IA and Butler missed a season.

They will get more weapons for Murray, Lamb is my guess he knows the terminology, has chemistry with Kyler and would feel Larry's spot, when he retires

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its gonna be WR, nobody panned out and Kliff uses a spread offense. Andy Isabelle seemed to small, KJ had drops and was IA and Butler missed a season.

They will get more weapons for Murray, Lamb is my guess he knows the terminology, has chemistry with Kyler and would feel Larry's spot, when he retires

Way too early to say nobody panned out but I agree, those 3 don’t look promising

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite game to play

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People might consider me as someone obsessed with "filling the holes," but really, I just want to make sure none of the positions end up with a starter who is a practice-squad player or cut on the final day of training camp by another team.

I normally think of a hole as a spot where someone poor could be upgraded upon, not multiple spots on the roster where we don't have a starter or even a backup.
Even once you meet the right person, it's hard to stop the obsession

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some posters seem obsessed on filling all the holes. I’ve seen scenarios focused on the number of picks acquired. Almost every team has a hole or 2, even the top teams. Big games are won mostly by great players making great plays. It’s okay if the Cards have to be pedestrian at a couple of positions. That’s part of the natural result of a salary cap. The trick is to look at holes and see which ones can be hidden to limit exposure. Take the second corner. If you have a great first CB, you move him around the field to take the opponents top receiver. Sure if would be nice to have 2 great corners, but 1 usually is enough to keep a team in most games.

Don’t get me wrong. On an earlier post I endorsed moving down if the first round went as I laid out; otherwise sit still.
Which ones do you think can be covered up? Can't fix them all in one off-season I know. I'm thinking OL, although the current one did play well above my expectations this past season. Some of that was the Guard signings but most of it was the hiring of Sean Kugler. Maybe CB? If PP plays the way he did in 2020 as he did the last 4 games of 2019.......? Maybe Robert Alford gets back to his SB yr form? We could draft a CB or a RT & help either of those positions, maybe both if we draft or sign wisely? WR? Draft one or go with what we have & hope Isabella & Butler pan out? KM needs better protection yes but he still lacks a true #1 WR so there is two areas right there. I truly believe the DL needs fixing the most plus we need another edge rusher, an OLB that can cover would be nice also. The next couple of months will be very interesting for sure. Lots of areas of need but which ones get fixed is the burning question?

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Which ones do you think can be covered up? Can't fix them all in one off-season I know. I'm thinking OL, although the current one did play well above my expectations this past season. Some of that was the Guard signings but most of it was the hiring of Sean Kugler. Maybe CB? If PP plays the way he did in 2020 as he did the last 4 games of 2019.......? Maybe Robert Alford gets back to his SB yr form? We could draft a CB or a RT & help either of those positions, maybe both if we draft or sign wisely? WR? Draft one or go with what we have & hope Isabella & Butler pan out? KM needs better protection yes but he still lacks a true #1 WR so there is two areas right there. I truly believe the DL needs fixing the most plus we need another edge rusher, an OLB that can cover would be nice also. The next couple of months will be very interesting for sure. Lots of areas of need but which ones get fixed is the burning question?
All that sounds terribly depressing.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't think you go in with the mentality that you can "fix" them all, as in make them strengths that fill up a playoff or championship roster, but you certainly have to find a way to put a starting caliber player in each empty spot.

I think it takes at least another offseason to get to a point where we feel like anything is really fixed.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think you go in with the mentality that you can "fix" them all, as in make them strengths that fill up a playoff or championship roster, but you certainly have to find a way to put a starting caliber player in each empty spot.

I think it takes at least another offseason to get to a point where we feel like anything is really fixed.
Putting a player in each spot (quality player) can be accomplished if done right? Finding depth at those positions will take another yr or two. If done right this offseason, we could be in the hunt for a wild card in 2020, I truly believe that. Especially if the CBA passes? Extra wild card to be had. That extra spot will take effect in 2020.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People need to give the WR's from last years draft a break (and Kirk come to think of it). It's probably the 2nd hardest position to transition after QB.

As well as adapting the the physical differences and better opponents there is a tonne of mental stuff to process. If you look at a lot of WR's in the league they have bad or non existent first years.

Add in the fact Kirk had to learn two very different offenses, and they all had a rookie HC and rookie QB with the training wheels on last year.

I think it's harsh to right them off. I see a lot of potential there (except Isabella who I didn't like before we drafted him :))

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
People need to give the WR's from last years draft a break (and Kirk come to think of it). It's probably the 2nd hardest position to transition after QB.

As well as adapting the the physical differences and better opponents there is a tonne of mental stuff to process. If you look at a lot of WR's in the league they have bad or non existent first years.

Add in the fact Kirk had to learn two very different offenses, and they all had a rookie HC and rookie QB with the training wheels on last year.

I think it's harsh to right them off. I see a lot of potential there (except Isabella who I didn't like before we drafted him :))
I still think Isabella can become a decent player, there's definitely things he can improve on which will take time. KK can get creative with him. He needs to not be put in the slot though. His speed belongs on the outside. Kirk is a good #2-3 WR but we do need a true #1 WR. Now, does that come in this draft or next? Maybe FA? I have no idea but we do need one. Many holes to fill on this team & they have to be filled in whatever order. DL is the weakest link imo. I haven't given up on Butler either, he's loaded with potential & I can't wait to see him on the field next season. KJ...............he runs good routes & catches most passes but he's slow as dog$#/+. I have no idea what the future holds for him? After the Halloween game against the 49ers he didn't see the field a lot.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think Isabella can become a decent player, there's definitely things he can improve on which will take time. KK can get creative with him. He needs to not be put in the slot though. His speed belongs on the outside. Kirk is a good #2-3 WR but we do need a true #1 WR. Now, does that come in this draft or next? Maybe FA? I have no idea but we do need one. Many holes to fill on this team & they have to be filled in whatever order. DL is the weakest link imo. I haven't given up on Butler either, he's loaded with potential & I can't wait to see him on the field next season. KJ...............he runs good routes & catches most passes but he's slow as dog$#/+. I have no idea what the future holds for him? After the Halloween game against the 49ers he didn't see the field a lot.

I still think Kirk can be a WR1.

He's had 3 OCs, 2 HCs, 3 QB's and at least 2 playbooks. He's also had 2 seasons broken up by injuries.

If he hadn't been injured in year 1 he wouldn't have been too dissimilar to DK Metcalfs rookie numbers. Even in that garbage offense.

I'm expecting a big year from Kirk if he stays fit. He's got a HC and QB that should both be better, he's in his 3rd year and 2nd year with this playbook. It shouldn't be beyond him to have a Chris Godwin type year.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here is where I am unwilling to compromise...Kyler Murray's growth and development...everything else is worth waiting on. It is why I am so focused on OT in round 1. It is not that I think OL is the biggest need, but it is something that enables Murray to develop. That said, Derrick Brown, Chase Young and Jeffrey Okudah are legit.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have to add to this defense in free agency. Olb, Ilb, De and Dt. We won’t be able to fill those 4 spots but we need to fill two of them.

in the draft we can fill a third and maybe add depth to the fourth. So what may be available in those positions?

I think there’s a chance either Brown or Kinlaw will be available. the lists I’ve looked at have both of those players as DT. So signing a guy like Harris and Judon could be a F/A target which means we may have to live with Walker as one of ilb. Or sign ilb Kwiatkoski and live with Riddick as our olb.

With that road we can take bpa in the rest of the draft. Whether it’s rb, wr ol, dl, or lb. Bottom line we need to add two quality experienced players on the defensive side of the ball and go from there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose