Clippers @ Suns Wednesday game thread 2-26-20

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I can’t ever recall watching a player who I thought had a much better first quarter than Ayton and a much worse second quarter. It’s amazing he’s the same player.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, is there a way for a big man to get better hands? Ayton's definitely made major progress, but his hands are infuriating. can that be something learned/practiced?

If the ball handlers didn't pass Ayton bounce passes he would do better. True of a lot of big men.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I can’t ever recall watching a player who I thought had a much better first quarter than Ayton and a much worse second quarter. It’s amazing he’s the same player.
Lack of consistency among most of the squad seems to be an ongoing problem for the Suns.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
It's true, but like I said awhile back , I'll gladly take 2 or 3 great quarters over the zero we get from half our other players

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some halftime stats.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
so, is there a way for a big man to get better hands? Ayton's definitely made major progress, but his hands are infuriating. can that be something learned/practiced?
Yes! Back in the seventies, there were all kinds of hand strength excercises. It was really rare back then to see little guys rip the ball from centers. It's almost a lost art. I remember watching a Home Run Derby where Willie Mays was talking about how he strengthened his hands. Old school atletes used to really work on this. Mpre recent Roger Clemons had vudeos showing how he worked on his hand strength.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes! Back in the seventies, there were all kinds of hand strength excercises. It was really rare back then to see little guys rip the ball from centers. It's almost a lost art. I remember watching a Home Run Derby where Willie Mays was talking about how he strengthened his hands. Old school atletes used to really work on this. Mpre recent Roger Clemons had vudeos showing how he worked on his hand strength.

You need need to apply for a job as a Suns trainer.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If the ball handlers didn't pass Ayton bounce passes he would do better. True of a lot of big men.
When I coached my rule of thumb was pass low to small players, and pass high to big guys. If you watch Ayton, when he rebounds above his head, his hands are solid. Below his shoulders he is a train wreck.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Also this half was an interesting study in how bad +/- can be as an indicator of value in the court. I thought after played great defense. He didn’t score, he has the worst +/- based more on how poor the team around him played during his time on court.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

He needs to work on his consistency. Sadly this is every game for him seemingly.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker claimed George fouled him and the video showed him holding his off arm. No call.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep feeding Ayton high passes.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
As soon as the refs intervened, the wheels began falling off

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns could bring in a point guard better than Okobo.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
End of 3rd quarter:

Clippers 76 - Suns 66

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a very easily achievable goal, although this is the suns so I'm guessing about a 40% chance they pull it off this summer

They have an open roster spot not doing them any good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As soon as the refs intervened, the wheels began falling off

the refs haven't missed a ton of wide open threes, given up a bunch of wide open threes or forced Booker to be atrocious.

It's like ever since Booker was "snubbed", he's been out there proving why that happened.

shooting 35% in his last five games and played below average before the break for the last 8 games.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton needs a running mate.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Also this half was an interesting study in how bad +/- can be as an indicator of value in the court. I thought after played great defense. He didn’t score, he has the worst +/- based more on how poor the team around him played during his time on court.
Today I used the Suns to argue against analytics. I quoted all the good analytics the Suns always quote on their website., twitter and during games. Then I said look at their record. Then I said look at the Lakers and Clippers and how they are supposedly bad in so many analytic categories and then look at their records. Throw out analytics. Just get guys like Leonard, George, James, etc.