Steve Keim Talks on 98.7 regarding state of the Cardinals

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.azcardinals.com/news/st...ohnson-kenyan-drake-contract-patrick-peterson

On David Johnson:
"Cutting him is not an option," Keim said. "Not only the cap hit, but you're still paying him the cash as well, and it wouldn't be responsible for me or the organization for me to do that."

"If David Johnson isn't the starter, he still has a significant role," Keim said. "He still creates big-time mismatches in the passing game, he still brings kick return ability. There are a number of things, and you can't just have one back. You have to have a platoon of backs. We've seen that. So there are enough carries to go around."

On DJ Humpries:
Keim said he is "very optimistic" left tackle D.J. Humphries, who is scheduled to become a free agent, will return.

"I am very proud, not only of the way he played but also his maturation," Keim said. "The way he has progressed as a worker, as a leader. ... (Offensive line coach) Sean Kugler has been fantastic for that room. It certainly was the area of the most improvement for our football team was the offensive line. They stayed healthy, we ran the football effectively this year, and D.J. Humphries was a big reason for that."

On PP:
"When you look at the body of work last year, he'd be the first to tell you he didn't play up to expectations," Keim said. "The last three games he played excellent, the way we expected him to play. I think he's got a chip on his shoulder and I think he's going to come back with a vengeance."

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And yet you cut both Bradford and Glennon with the cap hit.

The WORST part of being a Cardinals fan is having to deal with Keim as our GM.
Bradford would have been a malcontent, and we saved money on the second year of his deal by cutting him. Glennon had no role here at all.

DJ hasn't said or done anything wrong. Why cut him? Who are you going to replace him with?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not surprising. This doesn't rule out a trade, but him being outright cut makes no sense.

No one will trade for him unless we trade him with cash considerations. Tons of them.

I don't see us doing that.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bradford would have been a malcontent, and we saved money on the second year of his deal by cutting him. Glennon had no role here at all.

DJ hasn't said or done anything wrong. Why cut him? Who are you going to replace him with?

I don't want him cut. I want a new GM.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to the interview on the way into work and a couple of other things caught my attention.

Keim said he wants to re-sign their key FAs like DJ Humphries to maintain continuity. He also said it's very important to build through the draft. I got the feeling that the Cardinals won't be making a huge splash in FA this year. The Cardinals are not going to try and build the team around a bunch of Free Agents.

Regarding the Draft and BPA philosophy. Team need is obviously factored in when it comes to the pick and players are ranked closely. Also they factor in the Position with regards to how hard it is to find that type of player in FA. For example LT's rarely hit the FA markets and would be more valuable that a similar ranked safety.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I got the feeling that the Cardinals won't be making a huge splash in FA this year. The Cardinals are not going to try and build the team around a bunch of Free Agents.

Ha, how can they? Once they overpay Hump/Drake/PP there won't be much money left. On the bright side, we have draft wiz Keim at the helm, so that's where we'll see real improvement. Look at his draft "achievements" - https://arizonasports.com/story/1496254/ranking-all-42-steve-keim-arizona-cardinals-draft-picks/

Six years of drafting, and outside of drafting Kyler (which is accomplished by having the worst record in football) your best pick is an albatross, your second best pick won a championship with someone else, and the 4th best player is out of the league! Just look at the list - it'll make you ill.

It just blows my mind that people think Keim is the solution. It's not like he's inherited a mess and is cleaning up after someone else. Keim made the mess! What has he done over the last 5 years to give anyone confidence that he's going to turn things around?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Yes. This is the reality. If people don't want to live in a reality-based world, that's kind of on them.

Although putting your $16M franchise running back on kick return duty isn't a great look.
Not a great look, but DJ returning kicks and being 3rd down/passing down back will use him to his greatest strength, at this point. He can be an oversized and way over paid Brian Mitchell.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, how can they? Once they overpay Hump/Drake/PP there won't be much money left. On the bright side, we have draft wiz Keim at the helm, so that's where we'll see real improvement. Look at his draft "achievements" - https://arizonasports.com/story/1496254/ranking-all-42-steve-keim-arizona-cardinals-draft-picks/

Six years of drafting, and outside of drafting Kyler (which is accomplished by having the worst record in football) your best pick is an albatross, your second best pick won a championship with someone else, and the 4th best player is out of the league! Just look at the list - it'll make you ill.

It just blows my mind that people think Keim is the solution. It's not like he's inherited a mess and is cleaning up after someone else. Keim made the mess! What has he done over the last 5 years to give anyone confidence that he's going to turn things around?

PP still has a year on his deal, so that isn't a factor, but you can't deny the rest of the post.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not a great look, but DJ returning kicks and being 3rd down/passing down back will use him to his greatest strength, at this point. He can be an oversized and way over paid Brian Mitchell.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TBH, I don't know if you can use him on third down because he can't read the defensive front seven and identify the free rusher.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They were talking about some things before Keim came on today, and some of them were trade proposals that were thrown out for the Cardinals.

One was Trent Williams to the Cards for a 2nd round pick.....One was DJ to Tampa Bay for a 4th.

I would do both of those trades...but expecting a 4th for DJ, without some pretty massive cash considerations seem unrealistic to me.

I will still stick to my guns and say that we can trade him, but can't expect anything back...and in fact might need to attach a late round pick.

DJ + a 7th for a 6th....but we don't pay the salary.

Also, just food for though, I just read an article that had us as the #2 most logical fit for Derrick Henry.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were talking about some things before Keim came on today, and some of them were trade proposals that were thrown out for the Cardinals.

One was Trent Williams to the Cards for a 2nd round pick.....One was DJ to Tampa Bay for a 4th.

I would do both of those trades...but expecting a 4th for DJ, without some pretty massive cash considerations seem unrealistic to me.

I will still stick to my guns and say that we can trade him, but can't expect anything back...and in fact might need to attach a late round pick.

Also, just food for though, I just read an article that had us as the #2 most logical fit for Derrick Henry.

Tampa wouldn't give us a 4th for him. They would REQUIRE a 4th to take him off of our hands. DJ has negative trade value right now.

I would do the Trent for a 2nd though probably.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Non-starter.

We'd have to pick up 60%+ of his 2020 salary. IMO.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose