Free Agency 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although it's fun to look at the draft, the group of 2020 free agents will provide plenty of help for teams with money to spend. The Suns are one of those teams.

Often this class is criticized for lacking star power but lots of good players will be available.

It appears the exact dates have not been announced but it will occur sometime after the June 25th, 2020 NBA draft.

Here are a couple of links that can prove helpful to see what players are available.

https://hoopshype.com/2020/01/20/nba-free-agency-2020-the-top-players/

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The first time I really have looked at this list - and it is as bad as has been reported.

My first choice would probably be van vleet - but he is probably too expensive when we already have rubio.

Jerami Grant or Bertans or Favors I guess might be more likely targets.

I would like Fournier or Bogdanovich, but they probably don't want to be a sixth man.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first time I really have looked at this list - and it is as bad as has been reported.

My first choice would probably be van vleet - but he is probably too expensive when we already have rubio.

Jerami Grant or Bertans or Favors I guess might be more likely targets.

I would like Fournier or Bogdanovich, but they probably don't want to be a sixth man.

Suns have lots of options to strengthen the point guard position such as Teague and Augustin. I thought Clarkson might fill a couple of needs.

Jerami Grant is one of my favorites at power forward. Harrell is also available. No one would kick dust in the Suns face with him.

I think the Suns should keep Diallo as a third center. The price is right.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team isn't going to get it done through free agency anyway. This team's only hope is to pull off a trade which I this FO seems inept at or through the draft. I hate to say it. This team's only hope is to revamp it's scouting department and build through the draft which means who know how many years more of ineptitude. This next draft sucks by all accounts so unless this team makes some serious strides in the FO I am predicting at least another 5 years of similar play.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team isn't going to get it done through free agency anyway. This team's only hope is to pull off a trade which I this FO seems inept at or through the draft. I hate to say it. This team's only hope is to revamp it's scouting department and build through the draft which means who know how many years more of ineptitude. This next draft sucks by all accounts so unless this team makes some serious strides in the FO I am predicting at least another 5 years of similar play.

Well, they are going to sign a free agent or two. I think that is a given.

I am also pretty sure they are going to trade our pick for a player. Maybe they would not do that if we won the lottery, otherwise I am sure they are trading it.

I think our best hope would be to trade our pick with filler for either Markannan or Gordon, and then sign in free agency some bench scoring.

If not we will do it the other way, and sign our PF in free agency and get a scorer like Kennard with our pick.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they are going to sign a free agent or two. I think that is a given.

I am also pretty sure they are going to trade our pick for a player. Maybe they would not do that if we won the lottery, otherwise I am sure they are trading it.

I think our best hope would be to trade our pick with filler for either Markannan or Gordon, and then sign in free agency some bench scoring.

If not we will do it the other way, and sign our PF in free agency and get a scorer like Kennard with our pick.

That wasn't my point. I didn't say they couldn't sign a free agent. I said they are not going to change the team through free agency (meaning signing a super star). I think they may even make trades but for someone who is going to change the team around? I doubt it.

The problem is we go into every free agency period with high hopes we will land someone who is a game changer and it never happens. Season after season the Suns fans overestimate the value of players on this team and dream of fantastical trades. It's not realistic IMO unless something unforeseen happens and that is a major player decides they want to play here for some reason.

The only real way to completely turn a franchise around is through the draft by drafting a generational player. Even the draft isn't a guarantee by any stretch but the only real way. I just don't see us landing another Barkley or Nash in our near future. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That wasn't my point. I didn't say they couldn't sign a free agent. I said they are not going to change the team through free agency (meaning signing a super star). I think they may even make trades but for someone who is going to change the team around? I doubt it.

The problem is we go into every free agency period with high hopes we will land someone who is a game changer and it never happens. Season after season the Suns fans overestimate the value of players on this team and dream of fantastical trades. It's not realistic IMO unless something unforeseen happens and that is a major player decides they want to play here for some reason.

The only real way to completely turn a franchise around is through the draft by drafting a generational player. Even the draft isn't a guarantee by any stretch but the only real way. I just don't see us landing another Barkley or Nash in our near future. Just my opinion.

I don't think the Suns need a game changer if that means acquiring a star.

The Suns have a nice core of players with two stars (Booker and Ayton), another player that is near or at that level in Oubre, an adequate point guard in Rubio and two more wings that have bright futures in Bridges and Cam Johnson. That's a solid six players.

What the Suns lack is a power forward and quality depth. Those needs should be able to be filled in free agency, draft or trade. Saric, Baynes and Kaminsky were not adequate pieces upfront. Tyler Johnson's contract did not prove to be an asset in trade but it does hold valuable salary space for free agency as does some of the other players with contracts that are not guaranteed.

The Suns have more money to spend this summer than most teams so they should be able to fill their needs in addition to the draft if they keep the pick.

Players like Jerami Grant, Montrezl Harrell or Jordan Clarkson would do wonders for the team and they are not stars. Those are only examples.

If a trade that works comes along then that's an option as well.

Suns can't settle for non-athletic players though.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I would throw a good offer to Harrell. As for point guards, I'd see if Mr. Dragic would come back. Outside of that, just try to get an average backup PG.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would throw a good offer to Harrell. As for point guards, I'd see if Mr. Dragic would come back. Outside of that, just try to get an average backup PG.

Lots of guard depth available in free agency.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns need a game changer if that means acquiring a star.

The Suns have a nice core of players with two stars (Booker and Ayton), another player that is near or at that level in Oubre, an adequate point guard in Rubio and two more wings that have bright futures in Bridges and Cam Johnson. That's a solid six players.

What the Suns lack is a power forward and quality depth. Those needs should be able to be filled in free agency, draft or trade. Saric, Baynes and Kaminsky were not adequate pieces upfront. Tyler Johnson's contract did not prove to be an asset in trade but it does hold valuable salary space for free agency as does some of the other players with contracts that are not guaranteed.

The Suns have more money to spend this summer than most teams so they should be able to fill their needs in addition to the draft if they keep the pick.

Players like Jerami Grant, Montrezl Harrell or Jordan Clarkson would do wonders for the team and they are not stars. Those are only examples.

If a trade that works comes along then that's an option as well.

Suns can't settle for non-athletic players though.

I think we do. We need someone of the caliber of AT AND quality depth. That’s a very tall order based on the Suns track record.

The Suns have had a ton of cap space multiple times. We either didn’t get the players we needed or overspent on ones we didn’t.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we do. We need someone of the caliber of AT AND quality depth. That’s a very tall order based on the Suns track record.

The Suns have had a ton of cap space multiple times. We either didn’t get the players we needed or overspent on ones we didn’t.

Suns have to win before they can attract stars. I'd settle for the goal of making the playoffs.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

well I mostly agree with you, but James Jones doesn’t.

he has made it clear he does not want to rely on a draft pick to upgrade the team.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don’t necessarily think we need a game changer.

just the improvement of our young core along with a few role players is definitely enough to get us into the playoffs, but probably not enough to realistically contend.

but Toronto did just win the title with one star so although unlikely it is not impossible to win a title.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t necessarily think we need a game changer.

just the improvement of our young core along with a few role players is definitely enough to get us into the playoffs, but probably not enough to realistically contend.

but Toronto did just win the title with one star so although unlikely it is not impossible to win a title.

They also had one of the most consistent rosters top to bottom. How did they get that way?

VanVleet, Powell, Siakam, Wright G-League talent. Ujiri built through setting up a foundation of evaluating talent (scouting). Which is what I am saying. This team needs better scouting regardless.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They also had one of the most consistent rosters top to bottom. How did they get that way?

VanVleet, Powell, Siakam, Wright G-League talent. Ujiri built through setting up a foundation is evaluating talent (scouting).
And they played in the East.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Jordan Clarkson as a 3rd guard to backup both Booker and Rubio. He can handle both positions, especially in a backup role, and can provide a scoring punch off the bench. He doesn't have bad knees like Kennard but he doesn't have Kennard's shooting ability either. I like him more than Kennard though since he has proven he can play PG. I wouldn't want him as our full time starter but primary backup is fine.

If we could trade for Gordon or Markkannen during the draft, I'd be happy. I like Gordon more but Lauri would only cost 1/4 of what AG would, salary wise. That would allow the Suns to go after someone like Favors also.

That would give the Suns a starting 5 of Rubio, Booker, Oubre, Lauri, Ayton with Clarkson, Bridges, Cam, and Favors off the bench. That should be 9 solid players, 8 plus Cam, who looked really good versus LA. I think that's a playoff team. It's not a title contender but I like that more than any team in the West not in LA or SF. Denver would also be ahead of the Suns but I think that team is better than the Mavericks, top to bottom, as well as Houston. Who knows how either team will be next season. Of course Luka and Harden are the driving forces of those teams and given they're so reliant on 1 player to carry them, I wouldn't put them ahead of the Suns until they make it through the season healthy.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I like Jordan Clarkson as a 3rd guard to backup both Booker and Rubio. He can handle both positions, especially in a backup role, and can provide a scoring punch off the bench. He doesn't have bad knees like Kennard but he doesn't have Kennard's shooting ability either. I like him more than Kennard though since he has proven he can play PG. I wouldn't want him as our full time starter but primary backup is fine.

If we could trade for Gordon or Markkannen during the draft, I'd be happy. I like Gordon more but Lauri would only cost 1/4 of what AG would, salary wise. That would allow the Suns to go after someone like Favors also.

That would give the Suns a starting 5 of Rubio, Booker, Oubre, Lauri, Ayton with Clarkson, Bridges, Cam, and Favors off the bench. That should be 9 solid players, 8 plus Cam, who looked really good versus LA. I think that's a playoff team. It's not a title contender but I like that more than any team in the West not in LA or SF. Denver would also be ahead of the Suns but I think that team is better than the Mavericks, top to bottom, as well as Houston. Who knows how either team will be next season. Of course Luka and Harden are the driving forces of those teams and given they're so reliant on 1 player to carry them, I wouldn't put them ahead of the Suns until they make it through the season healthy.

DA’s abilities on the defensive end have made more open to a Markkanen trade and it would definitely prevent @AzStevenCal from taking another winter vacation from the board. I like Gordon too but as others of mentioned he needs to Taylor his game after Marion and not a guy that goes ISO and jacks up shots.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Injured team. Toronto would have struggled to get to the finals in the east.

You can't put it all on that. Raptors were deep and played great defense. Sure injuries were a factor but even without them Raptors make a series of it. You are acting like they didn't deserve to be there.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can't put it all on that. Raptors were deep and played great defense. Sure injuries were a factor but even without them Raptors make a series of it. You are acting like they didn't deserve to be there.
Injuries happen. You never take diminish a championship because the other team had injuries. I am just saying that when you are looking at the team talent wise independently, being in the east makes a big difference.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Injuries happen. You never take diminish a championship because the other team had injuries. I am just saying that when you are looking at the team talent wise independently, being in the east makes a big difference.

You have veered off course a bit. Back to my original point. Scouting makes all the difference in the world and the most likely way the Suns get it done. Since you brought up Golden State, they also drafted Curry, Thompson and Green. No?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have veered off course a bit. Back to my original point. Scouting makes all the difference in the world and the most likely way the Suns get it done. Since you brought up Golden State, they also drafted Curry, Thompson and Green. No?

I believe that the Raptors won that title without a single player drafted higher than like... 13 or something being on their roster. A remarkable achievement in scouting and player development.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose