Hypothetical: Starling Marte vs Jackie Bradley Jr

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
2019: (31 years old)
Marte - 132 games - .295/.342/.503 - 31 2B - 6 3B - 23 HR - 82 RBI - 25 Steals - 6 CS - 2.9 bWAR - 3.0 fWAR

Salary:
2020 - 11.5m
2021 - 12.5
2022 - FA

2019: (29 years old)
Bradley - 147 games - .225/.317/.421 - 28 2B - 3 3B - 21 HR - 62 RBI - 8 SB - 6 CS - 2.0 bWAR - 1.4 fWAR

Salary:
2020 - 11m
2021 - FA

Marte is the more complete player and under control for two years but he’d cost more to acquire. Likely Corbin Carroll and one of Thomas, Varsho or Perdomo IMO (Robinson is untouchable).

Bradley is a defensive wizard but poor offensive player (can’t hit lefties). He would make us better defensively and move Marte back to 2B. He wouldn’t cost any of our good prospects and doesn’t affect payroll after next season.

IF you had to choose which guy would you prefer?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Marte, and it's not even close. And I don't think it would cost us Robinson, Carroll or Perdomo. I think that at most, it would cost us Varsho and lower level prospects.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Marte, and it's not even close. And I don't think it would cost us Robinson, Carroll or Perdomo. I think that at most, it would cost us Varsho and lower level prospects.

Well Varsho is in that same tier of prospect those I mentioned (minus Robinson) I just figured they’d want a CF prospect. If the asking price from Pittsburg was low he’d be somewhere else right now.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well Varsho is in that same tier of prospect those I mentioned (minus Robinson) I just figured they’d want a CF prospect. If the asking price from Pittsburg was low he’d be somewhere else right now.

It has been reported all along that Pittsburgh's top priority is netting a young soon-to-be-MLB-ready catcher. In my opinion, Varsho fits the bill to a tee.

Interesting question is whether they would want Thomas or Carroll as well. I think I would include Thomas but not Carroll.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It has been reported all along that Pittsburgh's top priority is netting a young soon-to-be-MLB-ready catcher. In my opinion, Varsho fits the bill to a tee.

Interesting question is whether they would want Thomas or Carroll as well. I think I would include Thomas but not Carroll.

Varsho and Thomas would be tough but I’d probably do it... Bumgarner, Peralta and Escobar are in their 30’s so it’s time to win.

I’d still feel good about the farm with Robinson, Carroll and Perdomo.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? Supposedly, Carson Kelly is our catcher of the present and the future, and Varsho isn't a better outfield prospect than Robinson and Carroll.

I don't believe Starling Marte is the difference between the Dbacks winning a championship next year at this point. So 6 years of team control on your top prospect > a two year rental

I get that Carson Kelly is supposed to be our catcher of the present and future but that can change through injury, poor play, ect...

Catcher is a tough position on the body and as an added bonus he can play outfield.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have to think more like Tampa does and continue to build from within. That is how a mid market team stays relevant

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We have to think more like Tampa does and continue to build from within. That is how a mid market team stays relevant

We have a golden opportunity here, though, not to mention a gargantuan hole at center field, and Varsho and Kelly are superfluous. Only one can be our full-time catcher, and the other is wasted if relegated to back-up catcher duties for the better part of his career.

We have plenty in our farm system to deal for Starling Marte and be relevant now while at the same time preserving enough of a farm system to stay relevant in the future.

I would argue that if we go into the season with Ketel Marte starting at center field while mixing and matching the sub-par Rojas, Young, Leyba and Vargas at 2B, as well as Escobar occasionally at 2B with the sub-par Lamb starting at 3B, we lose our current relevance.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't believe Starling Marte is the difference between the Dbacks winning a championship next year at this point. So 6 years of team control on your top prospect > a two year rental

I get that Carson Kelly is supposed to be our catcher of the present and future but that can change through injury, poor play, ect...

Catcher is a tough position on the body and as an added bonus he can play outfield.

I do believe that Starling Marte is the difference between the D-Backs competing for a playoff spot and winning 75 games, not to mention a major potential health difference for Ketel Marte (who then absolutely would not be shifted constantly between 2B and CF) and Eduardo Escobar (who then absolutely would not be shifted constantly between 3B and 2B) and you never know what happens once you make the playoffs, particularly with the deep starting pitching rotation we have.

We have Vogt available if Kelly gets hurt, and there are still serviceable stop-gap catchers in the event Kelly gets hurt. An extra young catcher is a luxury compared to a starting center fielder (and an elite level starting center fielder at that).

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just disagree here then. I would rather spin Ray into a CF or an asset that is used for acquiring the CF.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We just disagree here then. I would rather spin Ray into a CF or an asset that is used for acquiring the CF.

If it will get the deal done, I am fine with that. What I am not fine with is keeping Ketel Marte at CF with the mix and match of sub-par options at 2B.

And I think Starling Marte is 100 times better for us than Jackie Bradley, Jr., cost notwithstanding. The last thing we need is yet another semi-automatic out in our line-up. We can get the same thing as Jackie Bradley, Jr. by re-signing Jerrod Dyson.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I would’ve agreed before the Bumgarner signing. Barring getting blown away in an offer the signing of Madbum locked in Ray for his last year here. They are trying to win now.

Trading Varsho is definitely risky as he could fill in for several positions though.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would’ve agreed before the Bumgarner signing. Barring getting blown away in an offer the signing of Madbum locked in Ray for his last year here. They are trying to win now.

Trading Varsho is definitely risky as he could fill in for several positions though.

But the positions Varsho could fill are occupied by Carson Kelly, David Peralta and Kole Calhoun now, and in the future by Kelly and any number of Carroll, Robinson, Thomas and Pavin Smith.

Varsho is a luxury. A legitimate starting CF or 2B is a necessity.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
But the positions Varsho could fill are occupied by Carson Kelly, David Peralta and Kole Calhoun now, and in the future by Kelly and any number of Carroll, Robinson, Thomas and Pavin Smith.

Varsho is a luxury. A legitimate starting CF or 2B is a necessity.

Guys regress and get hurt. Happens every year...

Varsho had impressive numbers for the Southern League (Beer went from raking in the Texas League to not hitting at all in the Southern). He’s got the athleticism to play 3-4 positions but lacks a great arm. His bat should be good enough right away.

THAT said for a legit CF it’s hard to pass up.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Marte had a -11 DRS in 2019. Worst in MLB among CF’ers. Yikes.

Wow. His defense has fallen off of a cliff. I probably still take my chances with him, though, as he really is the best option out there for us. We really can't afford to put even more hitters who can't hit into our line-up.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. His defense has fallen off of a cliff. I probably still take my chances with him, though, as he really is the best option out there for us. We really can't afford to put even more hitters who can't hit into our line-up.

We have hitters all over the lineup. We ranked 12th in hits last year

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We have hitters all over the lineup. We ranked 12th in hits last year

Right now, there are only four guys in the line-up projected to bat at least .250, and one of them is Christian Walker at .253.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now, there are only four guys in the line-up projected to bat at least .250, and one of them is Christian Walker at .253.

I understand but that is every team. That is why we were 12th in hits with what I would consider a bad batting average

Everyone is playing for the lifted ball

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I understand but that is every team. That is why we were 12th in hits with what I would consider a bad batting average

Everyone is playing for the lifted ball

I am just tired of going to Chase Field and seeing a bunch of numbers like .238, .224, .209, .188, etc. next to our line-up...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I am just tired of going to Chase Field and seeing a bunch of numbers like .238, .224, .209, .188, etc. next to our line-up...
And, even worse, watching popups and strikeouts or grounding out into the shift all game long.

It is as bad as watching the Suns settle for 3-point shots every trip up the court.

It gets boring.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Better than we both thought. Luckily there wasn’t much of a market for him with spring training around the corner.