PFF drafting

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Scheme matters IMO. Wider OL splits combined with superior misdirection and a QB who runs well.

yes... but, if performed by a bunch of OL that cant execute the scheme ( as evidenced by below average blocking grades) you likely dont get NFL top 5 performance.

even if you back out Murray's rushes, they still finish in the NFL top 10 in avg per rush

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I usually follow NFL Draft Tracker on draft day to get an idea where a player will go based on their point system. If they put out this information earlier I would be a happy camper.

What I'm looking for is something that rates the players (besides mocks) before the draft.

Is Pro Football Focus a subscription service? Something free would be preferable.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually follow NFL Draft Tracker on draft day to get an idea where a player will go based on their point system. If they put out this information earlier I would be a happy camper.

What I'm looking for is something that rates the players (besides mocks) before the draft.

Is Pro Football Focus a subscription service? Something free would be preferable.

STATs Inc on ESPN +

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of Metcalf vs Isabella. Metcalf's production at Ole Miss was abysmal. He wasn't even their 2nd option. He had many nagging injuries throughout his college career. Yeah, Metcalf made some amazing plays downfield with one of the best passers in the NFL throwing to him. But he also had some crucial drops because he can't run over the middle and has issues catching in traffic. A physicsl freak of his caliber shouldn't almost drop out of round 2. But about 28 or 30 other teams passed twice on Metcalf. What I want to say is that Metcalf wasn't a no-brainer over Isabella. Isabella may still turn into Edelman Lite for us. Metcalf might do a Braylon Edwards, put up a decent season or two early on, suffer from bad dropsies and nagging injuries and disappear while Isabella still balls out for us...

Too early to give up on AI, but he and all the rookie WRs need to make that leap next year. If AI doesn’t after 2-3 years in the league, then you perhaps have an argument against DK and others drafted afterwards.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's free with Disney and Hulu

If I change over from DirecTV I may go with YouTube TV.

However, when my subscription runs out with The Athletic I may give ESPN+ a try. Thanks for the information.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
yes... but, if performed by a bunch of OL that cant execute the scheme ( as evidenced by below average blocking grades) you likely dont get NFL top 5 performance.

even if you back out Murray's rushes, they still finish in the NFL top 10 in avg per rush

Didn't we just have the best yards per carry in franchise history?

Our big uglies must have done something right.

With that being said..... RT & C to me are two of our 4 biggest overall needs.

My opinion:
1. WILB - Who covers TE's???
2. RT
3. DL
4. C
5. SOLB

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I change over from DirecTV I may go with YouTube TV.

However, when my subscription runs out with The Athletic I may give ESPN+ a try. Thanks for the information.

Having both, I believe the Athletic is 100x better. ESPN+ is really only good with the NFL draft thanks to McShay and Kiper.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So just for the sake of it...if we went of PFF's top 100 list right now, we would end up with Andrew Thomas #8, Zack Baun #40, and Jonathan Taylor at #72

OT, Edge, RB

We could do a lot worse. Those a 3 really solid football players.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

It’s free and available before the draft. Hit the icon by view our rating system and you’ll see what numbers like 5.57 mean. This system has been widely used by scouts for years. Joel Buchsbaum, who before his death published the most comprehensive work on prospects, used this system. It’s broad but typically decent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s free and available before the draft. Hit the icon by view our rating system and you’ll see what numbers like 5.57 mean. This system has been widely used by scouts for years. Joel Buchsbaum, who before his death published the most comprehensive work on prospects, used this system. It’s broad but typically decent.

For some reason I'm still having a bit of trouble finding it. Perhaps if you could provide a link to a current player with a numerical score it would help. Then I could work it backwards.

As a side note, I'm interested in QB Nate Stanley. I'd like your opinion. I saw him in a game and really liked him as a player.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For all the hand wringing about PFF what I personally find is this.

The grades that PFF gives, both for games and over a season, generally like up with how I think that player performed, and I find often line up with what analysts as a whole think.

I can't recall a situation where NFL media and NFL twitter have had an opinion on a player that's been contrary to PFF grades.

The main one for me has always been David Johnson. But you have to recall that PFF grade you on what you are asked to do every snap. Running a route and catching a 25 yards pass isn't weighted any more than blocking a blitzing cornerback. And DJ sucks at picking up blitzes and pass pro in general, which often means he can have 100+ scrimmage yards and a TD but a grade of 60.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, if we drsfted strictly by PFF grades and they said Andy Isabella was better than DK Metcalf, then.....well that is all that needs to be said

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

No.

That simply says college production does not always translate to production in the pros and vice versa.

No matter what system you use there are going to be exceptions - because that is the reality when you are dealing with 100's of variables being in play such as the players personal life, coaching both in college and the pro's, system usage, competition faced, personal motivation etc.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Keim want's to go pure PFF grading, Im fine with it...because IMO we have less of a chance of drafting a complete bust. We may not find the diamond in the rough, but Ill take players that actually make it to a 2nd contract on a regular basis.

It won't be perfect - nothing is - but overall I have far more faith in their grading than I do any scout or group of scouts.

Grading every play takes bias out of the equation to a large degree. Not perfect, but better than the opinion of 99% of individuals IMO

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think it goes up after the Combine. Here’s Isabella from last year

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/andy-isabella?id=32194953-4156-2722-bf26-62181351a224

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose