The Young Receivers

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
As of now the #8 pick is really a moving target based on what success the team has in Free Agency. I could see Keim bringing in a boatload of FAs to see what might stick to the wall regardless of whether they are defensive players or offensive players. We all know the top tier of FAs are already leaning toward certain teams or have quietly had some conversations with teams even though we know this is out of bounds but it's happening or they have at the very least weaned their favored places down to 2 or 3 destinations. The second tier are going to make multiple visits to see what the market can support in terms of money. Money will probably dictate their landing places along with some preference of location. The rest are a crap shoot who are almost definitely settling for the best contract.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Brown (DL) got a lot of love, on this board, early on, but now I see very little posted about him. Is he a defensive difference maker?
Yes, he’s the real deal but he’s likely gone before the Cards’ pick.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Keim strategy was to hit on 1 out of 3 receivers, that’s ignorant.

The Cards are likely taking Lamb if Kyler wants him. They’ve invested their whole franchise on Murray. They’re going to give him what he wants.

For the Murray fanatics, that’s not a rip on Murray.
Not buying that. Kyler made a case for Cody Ford after he was drafted and Keim took Murphy.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Not buying that. Kyler made a case for Cody Ford after he was drafted and Keim took Murphy.

That's funny, really like dude just gets drafted and is going to tell the front office who to draft after him the next day before ever proving himself or signing a contract... this draft, that's different :)

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's funny, really like dude just gets drafted and is going to tell the front office who to draft after him the next day before ever proving himself or signing a contract... this draft, that's different :)
Well sometimes teams like to pair their top draft picks with their former teammate (thats highly rated)

Colts drafted Colby Fleener from Stanford the next round after drafting Luck.

Even after a year in the league I don't think Kyler has the pull to get Keim to draft who he wants. Its already rumored that the Cards favor Jeudy over Lamb.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Well sometimes teams like to pair their top draft picks with their former teammate (thats highly rated)

Colts drafted Colby Fleener from Stanford the next round after drafting Luck.

Even after a year in the league I don't think Kyler has the pull to get Keim to draft who he wants. Its already rumored that the Cards favor Jeudy over Lamb.
I don’t see Murray making the choice but I’m hearing Lamb over Jeudy. Rumors are everywhere, it’s far to early to be certain.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I will be shocked if we don't draft a WR in rounds 1 or 2 unless we make a trade for a WR pre-draft.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I will be shocked if we don't draft a WR in rounds 1 or 2 unless we make a trade for a WR pre-draft.
I know you're more hopeful for the Oline than most. I do agree that Kyler certaintly was the reason for a lot of his sacks.

However, I'm banking on coaching development. Butler, Johnson and Isabella HAVE to be better next year.
I'm going Oline with the first two picks. Fill the RT spot and get an upgrade at C in the 2nd round. Everywhere else is solid enough.

There's going to be a day 2 or day 3 WR that surprises. Time for Keim to find that guy.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I say that because I don't expect us to be high flying on offense next year anyway. Lets get the run game going. We've got backs and a QB who can move. Think we win games that way.

Hopefully Kyler can improve so he can one day carry the load like Kliff wants in a few years.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I say that because I don't expect us to be high flying on offense next year anyway. Lets get the run game going. We've got backs and a QB who can move. Think we win games that way.

Hopefully Kyler can improve so he can one day carry the load like Kliff wants in a few years.
I like SF's three back system. One goes down you don't need to revamp your whole game plan.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm happy with either guy I think you generally would pick who you think is going to be best not who will have the most instant rapport but I agree that we're building around Kyler so it makes sense to pick the guy he's most comfortable with. I think Jeudy is the better WR now and the better prospect(faster I think) but I don't think there's such a big difference you don't just go with who Kyler wants.

I'll be happy with either kid

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I don’t see Murray making the choice but I’m hearing Lamb over Jeudy. Rumors are everywhere, it’s far to early to be certain.

I think one will do well with Jeudy or Lamb, though I prefer Jeudy... let's just hope Temple does not have a WR which is invited to the combine lol

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am hoping the three young receivers will have some personal development during the offseason. Now that Kliff has been a coach for a year, I really hope he can better utilize these guys. He seems open to adapt his plays to the talent he has. Hoping he can design plays that suit these guys skillsets. Just a thought.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm happy with either guy I think you generally would pick who you think is going to be best not who will have the most instant rapport but I agree that we're building around Kyler so it makes sense to pick the guy he's most comfortable with. I think Jeudy is the better WR now and the better prospect(faster I think) but I don't think there's such a big difference you don't just go with who Kyler wants.

I'll be happy with either kid
I think both will underwhelm to be honest. Historically speaking, only 4 WRs drafted in the top 10 since 2005 have not been busts. Mike Evans, Julio Jones, AJ Green, and Calvin Johnson. All physical freaks. Neither Jeudy or Lamb fit that criteria.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think both will underwhelm to be honest. Historically speaking, only 4 WRs drafted in the top 10 since 2005 have not been busts. Mike Evans, Julio Jones, AJ Green, and Calvin Johnson. All physical freaks. Neither Jeudy or Lamb fit that criteria.

Ok but that doesn't guarantee anything. We're literally about to go into another year with Fitz as our best Wr. We have to upgrade their. I'm not saying either of those kids will be Fitz, I'm just saying because it hasn't happened in recent years doesn't mean it can't this year. There's been 3 WR's drafted in the top 10 in the last 4 drafts, all in 2017, Mike Williams, Corey Davis and John Ross. That was a crazy draft the best player, Mahomes, went 10th, Watson went 12th, Adams at 6 was the best of the top picks(Fournette has been good not great). It was a bad draft with 4 great players in the first round(McCaffrey at 8 too).

Jeudy and Lamb would have been the first WR taken in every one of those drafts IMO.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no much confidence in our young receivers

The Isabella and Johnson regressed during the year and they have been invisible

Kirk is just what he is, at best a third WR, has below average hands and use to drop crucial catches, so maybe concentration is another issue

About Butler they were eager to put him on IR even if he had a non ending season injury,
It should speak for itself (I still hope he can turn in to the next Galloway)

I see us getting a WR again in this draft, hopefully in the first 2 rounds

If Simmons isnt there at 8 I would go with Lamb, otherwise I ll be happy to get one between Ruggs Higgins Shevault in round 2

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think you’re both right. Juedy/Lamb are the best prospects since Amari and Amari was the best since Julio/AJ. But all were a significant step below those two...

There have been a lot of #1 or borderline WR’s not picked in the first rd..

Alshon Jeffrey
TY Hilton
Keenan Allen
Davante Adams
Jarvis Landry
Michael Thomas
Tyreek Hill
Juju Smith-Schuster
Chris Godwin
AJ Brown
DK (maybe)
Deebo (maybe)

Just guarantee me Reagor or Aiyuk at #40 and I would be happy with almost any guy at 8 but I don’t like WR as a huge need compared to other spots. We’ll see how position of need affects their big board.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I have no much confidence in our young receivers

The Isabella and Johnson regressed during the year and they have been invisible

Kirk is just what he is, at best a third WR, has below average hands and use to drop crucial catches, so maybe concentration is another issue

About Butler they were eager to put him on IR even if he had a non ending season injury,
It should speak for itself (I still hope he can turn in to the next Galloway)

I see us getting a WR again in this draft, hopefully in the first 2 rounds

If Simmons isnt there at 8 I would go with Lamb, otherwise I ll be happy to get one between Ruggs Higgins Shevault in round 2

Oh come now, at best he is a number two but surely never will be a number one. "If we did not have Fitz", think about that sentiment, shows how we need a strong WR to this group... but with Fitz we can function as a offense, but this defense is another story

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh come now, at best he is a number two but surely never will be a number one. "If we did not have Fitz", think about that sentiment, shows how we need a strong WR to this group... but with Fitz we can function as a offense, but this defense is another story

As much as I like Fitzgerald should have a limited role on the offense next year
He doesn't get separation and 80% of the interceptions were thrown made to him

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
at best he is a number two but surely never will be a number one.

really?

because Kirk in his first two years has had two rookie QBs throwing to him.

my comp (i.e. the kind of player I think he can become) for Kirk is Tyler Lockett.

Locketts first three years he average less than 600 yards

last two, 950 and 1050

Lockett has grown into Sea's No. 1 option at WR, and has delivered. no reason Kirk cant

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you’re both right. Juedy/Lamb are the best prospects since Amari and Amari was the best since Julio/AJ. But all were a significant step below those two...

Alshon Jeffrey
TY Hilton
Keenan Allen
Davante Adams
Jarvis Landry
Michael Thomas
Tyreek Hill
Juju Smith-Schuster
Chris Godwin
AJ Brown
DK (maybe)
Deebo (maybe)

Just guarantee me Reagor or Aiyuk at #40 and I would be happy with almost any guy at 8 but I don’t like WR as a huge need compared to other spots. We’ll see how position of need affects their big board.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alshon Jeffrey
TY Hilton
Keenan Allen
Davante Adams
Jarvis Landry
Michael Thomas
Tyreek Hill
Juju Smith-Schuster
Chris Godwin
AJ Brown
DK (maybe)
Deebo (maybe)

Agree there if you can guarantee me Reagor in the 2nd round I will shut up about WR at 8. Everything I've seen has him going later in the first and after he runs at the combine he might move up

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching a few of the training camps last year I remember seeing Fitz really working with Butler one on one. It just seemed that Fitz had really taken Butler under his wing last offseason. I'm curious to see how Butler does in year two. He could be a matchup nightmare if he can improve his route running.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching a few of the training camps last year I remember seeing Fitz really working with Butler one on one. It just seemed that Fitz had really taken Butler under his wing last offseason. I'm curious to see how Butler does in year two. He could be a matchup nightmare if he can improve his route running.

When you are 6'5" with 35.25" arms you don't need to be a great route runner, in theory if he can improve his hands there aren't many DB's in the league can fight that.

Routes wouldn't hurt to have too though :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose