Suns @ Hawks Tuesday game thread 1-14-20

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking about this earlier this morning as well. For all the criticism Kaminsky received from fans, the team could certainly use him, especially his ability to stretch the court.

Yes, our lack of scoring is a huge problem right now.

A flame thrower off the bench would make a huge difference - a guy like Terrance Ross

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What has happened to Baynes? Dude was bully in the middle and now he isn't the same player that he was out of the gate. In addition, when Ayton wasn't on the floor things were really bad in the paint. This team is razor thing despite the roster turnover. With Rubio out, and KO having a horrible game, Booker had no help. This team is missing Kaminsky. Freaking Kaminsky!

Simply embarrassing loss. Trae Young was en fuego!

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What has happened to Baynes? Dude was bully in the middle and now he isn't the same player that he was out of the gate. In addition, when Ayton wasn't on the floor things were really bad in the paint. This team is razor thing despite the roster turnover. With Rubio out, and KO having a horrible game, Booker had no help. This team is missing Kaminsky. Freaking Kaminsky!

IMO teams are attacking Baynes and making him move his feet. Baynes couldn't keep anybody in front of him last night.:(

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I commented earlier on how Kaminsky was being missed, he was one of the top guys on the team in points made, 3pts or something like that...3 major categories.

Or TJ Warren

Also this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
John Hollinger‏Verified account @johnhollinger

that's a bad L for Phoenix .. but Hawks also a lot tougher with a secondary threat on the court. Kevin Huerter went 23-15-8 and Hawks didn't have to run every single action thru Trae, as opposed to Suns who were all Booker all the time because they had no other dribble threat.

6:56 PM - 14 Jan 2020
This is the key on which I’d been pounding for previous seasons. We have no one else who is a dribble threat. I had hoped it would be Jackson. But with that failure there’s no one else. Even more highlight by rubios absence.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Baynes is being Baynes... He's never been a reliable starter. He's a very solid Off The Bench 15 minute contributor.
Ayton, for all the rants about his lack of passion, is a very real & significant force on defense.
As for the roster... Jones made considerable effort to turn this thing over. All this shows is just how dreadful the roster has been over the past many years, that a GM can make the number of changes made by Jones, and yet it's still in dire need of upgrading across the board, especially at PF and back-up PG.

And yea... Young was hot. But really, don't all shooter get crazy hot when they play the Suns?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Trevor Ariza syndrome would be my guess...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Baynes is being Baynes... He's never been a reliable starter. He's a very solid Off The Bench 15 minute contributor.
Ayton, for all the rants about his lack of passion, is a very real & significant force on defense.
As for the roster... Jones made considerable effort to turn this thing over. All this shows is just how dreadful the roster has been over the past many years, that a GM can make the number of changes made by Jones, and yet it's still in dire need of upgrading across the board, especially at PF and back-up PG.

And yea... Young was hot. But really, don't all shooter get crazy hot when they play the Suns?

Perhaps that is because the changes Jones made are equally crap. Replace crap with crap, and you still have crap...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
John Hollinger‏Verified account @johnhollinger

that's a bad L for Phoenix .. but Hawks also a lot tougher with a secondary threat on the court. Kevin Huerter went 23-15-8 and Hawks didn't have to run every single action thru Trae, as opposed to Suns who were all Booker all the time because they had no other dribble threat.

6:56 PM - 14 Jan 2020

No excuse for that L Rubio or not.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Everyone remembers that the Suns only won 18 games last year right? This notion that because they didn’t transform from an 18 win team to a great team in one offseason they are complete failures is laughable. The Suns were epically bad last season. They were arguably the worst team in Suns history. I think the hot start distorted what this team is, which is a bad but improving team. We are 2 wins away from equally last seasons win total. Now don’t get me wrong, I am not happy about were the Suns are. I am frustrated as hell that we ended up in this position in the first place. But I am also realistic that it is going to take some time to dig us out off the massive putrid hole that we started from.

Another post advocating all-or-nothing. No one expects the Suns to become "great" in one season.

We want to see steady progress. Except for the first few games of the season, the Suns have not progressed.

How can they with an unbalanced roster? No backup Point Guard. Or backup Center. And a mediocre starting
Power Forward with no backup to count on. That is four positions in the rotation of 9 or so that are lacking.

We're a long way from "great". Especially since, with two Finals appearances in over fifty years, the Suns have
never been great. At their best, they were consistently very good. At their best! Fans are not calling for "great".

Competition is much too complex for that simple goal.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Another post advocating all-or-nothing. No one expects the Suns to become "great" in one season.

We want to see steady progress. Except for the first few games of the season, the Suns have not progressed.

How can they with an unbalanced roster? No backup Point Guard. Or backup Center. Or back-up shooting guard. And the worst starting Power Forward in the NBA, who is barely an NBA level back-up, with no backup to count on. Or anyone outside of Ayton capable of defending on the interior. Or any NBA-level athlete other than Ayton, Oubre and Diallo. That is at least five positions in the rotation of 9 or so that are lacking.

We're a long way from "great". Especially since, with two Finals appearances in over fifty years, the Suns have
never been great. At their best, they were consistently very good. At their best. Fans are not calling for "great".

Competition is much too complex for that simple goal.

FIFY.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'll buy that!

I posted Saric's disappointing stats (lifetime and this season) in the 'Suns Updates'
thread. For example, this season is the lowest scoring average of his career.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'll buy that!

I posted Saric's disappointing stats (lifetime and this season) in the 'Suns Updates'
thread. For example, this season is the lowest scoring average of his career.

He has been steadily trending downward since his second season in the league. Are you at all surprised??? For the life of me I can't fathom the ignorance it took for people on this board to claim on draft night that Saric's numbers would rebound to his one good year in Philadelphia.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the key on which I’d been pounding for previous seasons. We have no one else who is a dribble threat. I had hoped it would be Jackson. But with that failure there’s no one else. Even more highlight by rubios absence.

No doubt this is a huge issue. Suns have no backup for Rubio on their roster. It's all on Booker to create for others without Rubio.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No excuse for that L Rubio or not.

Totally concur. The Suns play was lackluster.

It's hard to see them having more than a three game winning streak when they can't consistently beat the easier teams on their schedule. Suns need a dose of talent.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Phrazbit

I believe you made the call first about Oubre having a possible concussion.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not exactly related but it does concern me when Oubre swings his head abruptly forward.

I guess I worry that it can't be good for the neck or brain.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Phrazbit

I believe you made the call first about Oubre having a possible concussion.

this is a little troubling to me. if Phrazbit could see this from thousands of miles away on TV, how is it possible that the training staff didn't?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is a little troubling to me. if Phrazbit could see this from thousands of miles away on TV, how is it possible that the training staff didn't?

Yeah, the training staff should have noticed. I agreed with Phrazbit at the time of his comment. It was surprising to see Oubre reenter the game later on.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the video of the blow to Oubre. It was concerning.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose