Suns @ Hawks Tuesday game thread 1-14-20

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When I said that upon his acquisition last year, I was crucified on this board for saying so.

Heck, there were a number on this board who insisted he was a viable option as our starting point guard.

He player WAY better last season. I have no idea what is going on with him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way - someone’s gonna have to be super desperate to trade for Tyler Johnson. Like, get out of an awful long-term deal bad. TJ doesn’t even provide value as a back-end rotational player.

That's the value of Tyler Johnson, a team that wants out of a long term contract. Why the Suns play him I'm not sure while other guards get limited playing time.

Tyler played better last season when he received regular minutes.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Just watched the game and I am in disbelief at how terrible the Suns were. Booker, Bridges, and Ayton played very well, and Cam was decent. This team needs an average backup point guard. I'd also like to see Diallo paired up with Baynes in the backup unit instead of Saric. Baynes looks slower than Saric out there. Without Rubio, this team looks like the team from last year.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He player WAY better last season. I have no idea what is going on with him.

While he had a few good games last year, this is pretty much the norm for him and has been since the second year of his current contract.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The suns commentators pointed out that three of the hawks were relentlessly trash talking oubre. But we got all the techs?

Lots of trash talking tonight. Why the Suns got the short end I'm not sure.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think that blow to the head had more of an effect on Oubre than he let on. He was clearly shaken up and after that point his shots looked like he had noodle arms.
We’ll find out when the next injury report comes out

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched the game and I am in disbelief at how terrible the Suns were. Booker, Bridges, and Ayton played very well, and Cam was decent. This team needs an average backup point guard. I'd also like to see Diallo paired up with Baynes in the backup unit instead of Saric. Baynes looks slower than Saric out there. Without Rubio, this team looks like the team from last year.

A backup point guard and a power forward who can defend is needed. Ty Jerome saw only 1 minute of action for a +0. He is better than some of the guards the Suns are playing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am amazed that the Suns don't double. Team have done that to Booker for years.

That's why I gave you an alert because I knew you wanted Young double teamed.

It works so I'm baffled why the Suns did not do it. Sometimes the defense was so loose it looked like no one was guarding him.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A backup point guard and a power forward who can defend is needed. Ty Jerome saw only 1 minute of action for a +0. He is better than some of the guards the Suns are playing.

Ty Jerome is awful. He doesnt look like an NBA player, he cant even pass the ball without turning it over. He is completely overwhelmed out there. If he cant get that mental side and decision making right then he has a less than zero chance in this league with no athleticism or physical abilities.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Anyone who saw Ayton at Arizona and expected Embiid or AD I’m not sure what you were watching. His comp is much closer to Towns, although not a perfect one but closer than the two way guys that anchored teams defensively in college.

I’m not sure why I wanted to believe in Jerome. It’s clear the 2019 draft from Jones perspective was to add older players and vets; Saric, Cam and Ty. I hope he was informed that Clarke was also “old” for a lotto pick...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone who saw Ayton at Arizona and expected Embiid or AD I’m not sure what you were watching. His comp is much closer to Towns, although not a perfect one but closer than the two way guys that anchored teams defensively in college.

I’m not sure why I wanted to believe in Jerome. It’s clear the 2019 draft from Jones perspective was to add older players and vets; Saric, Cam and Ty. I hope he was informed that Clarke was also “old” for a lotto pick...

It's pretty darn clear that the common element (even dating back to last year and trading for Tyler Johnson while trying to trade for Dillon Brooks) are players whose game and approach emulate his. As a GM, Jones has been quite the Narcissist.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Everyone remembers that the Suns only won 19 games last year right? This notion that because they didn’t transform from an 19 win team to a great team in one offseason they are complete failures is laughable. The Suns were epically bad last season. They were arguably the worst team in Suns history. I think the hot start distorted what this team is, which is a bad but improving team. We are 2 wins away from equally last seasons win total. Now don’t get me wrong, I am not happy about were the Suns are. I am frustrated as hell that we ended up in this position in the first place. But I am also realistic that it is going to take some time to dig us out off the massive putrid hole that we started from.

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone remembers that the Suns only won 18 games last year right? This notion that because they didn’t transform from an 18 win team to a great team in one offseason they are complete failures is laughable. The Suns were epically bad last season. They were arguably the worst team in Suns history. I think the hot start distorted what this team is, which is a bad but improving team. We are 2 wins away from equally last seasons win total. Now don’t get me wrong, I am not happy about were the Suns are. I am frustrated as hell that we ended up in this position in the first place. But I am also realistic that it is going to take some time to dig us out off the massive putrid hole that we started from.
I think the Suns 5-2 start raised expectations.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Everyone remembers that the Suns only won 18 games last year right? This notion that because they didn’t transform from an 18 win team to a great team in one offseason they are complete failures is laughable. The Suns were epically bad last season. They were arguably the worst team in Suns history. I think the hot start distorted what this team is, which is a bad but improving team. We are 2 wins away from equally last seasons win total. Now don’t get me wrong, I am not happy about were the Suns are. I am frustrated as hell that we ended up in this position in the first place. But I am also realistic that it is going to take some time to dig us out off the massive putrid hole that we started from.

It's also going to take a GM who actually realizes that power forwards are necessary in the NBA, as are players who can do more than just shoot.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyler was complete trash, and here imo he's our next best and most experienced guard to fill Rubio's shoes. Yet he can't even be a backup to the backup, in Okobo. We seriously need a pg off the bench. Lonzo or Fultz would have been a good gamble. Would have been nice to sign Derrick Rose too. We are missing TJ Warren tbh, too bad it didn't work our for him and the suns. I think right now we can only hope to get an athletic forward finish out the season via trade. Tyler, Okobo, Carter and Jerome are garbage.

Monty is also to blame. Ayton and Bridges should sub in the game together, instead Saric stayed in too long while providing nothing. Also the lack of double teaming, Ayton is long but that doesn't bother Young when he's on fire, needed to disrupt him sooner than later.

Booker was annoying in that he was complaining all night to the refs, maybe that led to our crappy calls all night and his eventual ejection. I wish Monty would show a little fire and let him handle the refs. Also why do we use a challenge early in the games only to lose them, i mean the player should know if it truly was a violation or not.

Ayton had more dumb decisions on help defense again, no show in the 4th. The team just showed any sense of urgency in the game until it was on the line, then they started hustling and going for the ball. This team isn't prepared to do what it takes to win all four quarters.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My god what an embarrassing loss... im just shocked....

Trey young smoked suns also seemed like any open 3 a hawks player got went in....

Just not sure what to this think of the future for this team.... rubio is a aging pg baynes is old

I still have hope suns can have a decent season in near future with Booker and ayton but a lot n
Of work needs to be done

Obure kilked suns last night ugh

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My god what an embarrassing loss... im just shocked....

Trey young smoked suns also seemed like any open 3 a hawks player got went in....

Just not sure what to this think of the future for this team.... rubio is a aging pg baynes is old

I still have hope suns can have a decent season in near future with Booker and ayton but a lot n
Of work needs to be done

Obure kilked suns last night ugh
Maybe Kelly should not have stayed in the game after the blow to the head in the first quarter.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Kelly should not have stayed in the game after the blow to the head in the first quarter.

It did something for sure, even his very close shots such as dunks and layups were off.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While he had a few good games last year, this is pretty much the norm for him and has been since the second year of his current contract.

No it isn't if you look at historical stats - last year was actually a bad year for him, this year he has completely dropped off the cliff.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ty Jerome is awful. He doesnt look like an NBA player, he cant even pass the ball without turning it over. He is completely overwhelmed out there. If he cant get that mental side and decision making right then he has a less than zero chance in this league with no athleticism or physical abilities.

I haven't seen enough of Jerome play to reach that conclusion. What I do know, he was a solid shooter and distributor in college. Nothing I have seen of Jerome over 11 games with limited minutes has changed my mind. He has at least a 2:1 assist turnover ratio. He should minimally be a solid shooter in the NBA.

Note this is coming from someone who was highly critical of Kendall Marshall and Tyler Ennis for their lack of athleticism. At least Jerome can shoot and IMO a better distributor. There is no denying that Jerome is not athletic.

If Jerome plays terrible after being given a fair chance I will gladly admit he is "awful."

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see more athletic players besides AD, Bridges and Ourbe. Next year

Frank the Tank would have been nice off the bench even if he not athletic

I was thinking about this earlier this morning as well. For all the criticism Kaminsky received from fans, the team could certainly use him, especially his ability to stretch the court.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Hollinger‏Verified account @johnhollinger

that's a bad L for Phoenix .. but Hawks also a lot tougher with a secondary threat on the court. Kevin Huerter went 23-15-8 and Hawks didn't have to run every single action thru Trae, as opposed to Suns who were all Booker all the time because they had no other dribble threat.

6:56 PM - 14 Jan 2020