Suns @ Hawks Tuesday game thread 1-14-20

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Again I just don’t get why Carter doesn’t get more burn when Rubio is out. I thought he was nice in the few mins he played but I would have liked to see what he could’ve done with Trae. Bridges was commendable on him until they started getting the switches on him at the end but I don’t understand why Carter gets no shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meant to say “depth.” Sorry. This team is so thin. If Oubre has an average game, we probably win

I think that blow to the head had more of an effect on Oubre than he let on. He was clearly shaken up and after that point his shots looked like he had noodle arms.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People are too busy ruminating over Ayton to see that there are at least five more pressing issues for this team.

Ayton is the easy target when the Suns have many more pressing needs like a power forward that can actually play and a backup point guard.

Also shooters that can hit better than 20.0% from 3 point range.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that blow to the head had more of an effect on Oubre than he let on. He was clearly shaken up and after that point his shots looked like he had noodle arms.

Yeah. Oubre is the barometer of the team.

When he has an off game for whatever reason chances are the Suns are not playing well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meant to say “depth.” Sorry. This team is so thin. If Oubre has an average game, we probably win. But we also need another veteran or two

You are correct. Okobo is normally a bench player.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Before the huge ayton debate breaks out here was the recap of the game

Booker played good then got tossed at the end for being stupid

Oubre was basically garbage tonight and eventually fouled out

Saric was non existent

As for baynes I expected him to come back down to earth after his hot stop but not fall off a cliff entirely, he didn't deserve to be on the court tonight

Ayton had a really good 3 quarters and then nothing in the fourth

Bridges played very well , about the only one who played defense tonight

Cam played good off the bench

And the rest of the crew was a extremely detrimental to the team

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

For originally chastising my very correct observations regarding Tyler Johnson, Dario Saric, Aron Baynes, Cam Johnson and James Jones's very poor job building this roster this past offseason only to now make those very same observations in this thread...

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
you're right. he's totally blameless as the number 1 pick in the draft who puts up 2 points and 0 rebounds in the fourth quarter of a must win game when looking at the upcoming schedule which is brutal.
If you're mad that Ayton is not Embiid or AD, then you should probably also direct some animosity towards Book for not being Steph or Harden or LBJ.

Ayton is at worst the third best player on this roster and is a nightly 18/10 at 21 years old. Again - this team has much much bigger problems.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton is the easy target when the Suns have many more pressing needs like a power forward that can actually play and a backup point guard.

Also shooters that can hit better than 20.0% from 3 point range.

But, but, but...I thought Cam Johnson was the second coming of Reggie Miller and Chris Mullin..:sarcasm:.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If you're mad that Ayton is not Embiid or AD, then you should probably also direct some animosity towards Book for not being Steph or Harden or LBJ.

Ayton is at worst the third best player on this roster and is a nightly 18/10 at 21 years old. Again - this team has much much bigger problems.
Or more accurately, 15/11 with regular disappearing acts in the 4th quarter.

the hyperbole runs strong in you.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Or more accurately, 15/11 with regular disappearing acts in the 4th quarter.

the hyperbole runs strong in you.

As opposed to the disappearing acts for the entire game that are starters Aron Baynes and Dario Saric...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Book wasn't the number 1 pick in the draft... who also took a dump on the team getting himself suspended for over a 1/4 of the season and apparently needs even more time to get in shape after getting himself parked on the bench.

And, if you've followed anything I've said, I don't put Book in the Steph/Harden or LBJ level. I think he's at best a great #2 or #1 on a bad team and that's because he's limited athletically. He doesn't have the quicks and passing ability Steph, Harden do or LBJ level athleticism. There's nothing he can do about not having as much talent/athleticism as those guys. Ayton DOES have the talent AND athleticism Embiid and AD does. THAT'S the difference.

And I've said this before but I'll say it again... the fatal flaw of this team in it's foundation as a title winning team is having two "stars", neither of which look like they can be sensational 1 Alpha Dogs on true contenders. Booker has the fire, not the elite athleticism/natural passing ability to be a #1 and Ayton has the elite athleticism but not the fire to be a great #1 and I think that is always going to hold us back in the long-run.

First, Ayton has NEVER averaged 18/10. This season he's averaging 16/11. Last season he averaged 16/10. So, can you even have a conversation about what Ayton is without inflating his numbers? Also, I don't disagree that there are bigger problems. But pretending like Ayton is blameless for anything because the rest of the team has big flaws only speaks to how lame of a #1 pick he is. The number 1 pick should be able to MAKE UP for flaws on the team, especially with a guy like Booker on the team as well and especially against an ATROCIOUS Hawks team.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Book wasn't the number 1 pick in the draft... who also took a dump on the team getting himself suspended for over a 1/4 of the season and apparently needs even more time to get in shape after getting himself parked on the bench.

And, if you've followed anything I've said, I don't put Book in the Steph/Harden or LBJ level. I think he's at best a great #2 or #1 on a bad team and that's because he's limited athletically. He doesn't have the quicks and passing ability Steph, Harden do or LBJ level athleticism. There's nothing he can do about not having as much talent/athleticism as those guys. Ayton DOES have the talent AND athleticism Embiid and AD does. THAT'S the difference.

And I've said this before but I'll say it again... the fatal flaw of this team in it's foundation as a title winning team is having two "stars", neither of which look like they can be sensational 1 Alpha Dogs on true contenders. Booker has the fire, not the elite athleticism/natural passing ability to be a #1 and Ayton has the elite athleticism but not the fire to be a great #1 and I think that is always going to hold us back in the long-run.

First, Ayton has NEVER averaged 18/10. This season he's averaging 16/11. Last season he averaged 16/10. So, can you even have a conversation about what Ayton is without inflating his numbers? Also, I don't disagree that there are bigger problems. But pretending like Ayton is blameless for anything because the rest of the team has big flaws only speaks to how lame of a #1 pick he is. The number 1 pick should be able to MAKE UP for flaws on the team, especially with a guy like Booker on the team as well and especially against an ATROCIOUS Hawks team.

Ayton is indeed disappointing so far, but even Lebron or MJ in his prime couldn't make up for a team that is this flawed.

This team is going nowhere as long as James Jones is the GM.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

He really doesn't. Ayton's been playing the game for literally 8 of his 21 years on Earth years so becoming a natural player might never take for Ayton. I know Embiid picked up the sport late as well but Embiid also didn't play his first NBA game until he was 23 years old. Ayton is a big athletic (but only really in straight lines, he's not a very fluid athlete) dude that can shoot. All the millions of other things that go into being a good basketball player like footwork, timing, court vision, ballhandling, scheme, court IQ, etc. might take some time if they come at all due to his late start.

I don't disagree that there are bigger problems. But pretending like Ayton is blameless for anything because the rest of the team has big flaws only speaks to how lame of a #1 pick he is. The number 1 pick should be able to MAKE UP for flaws on the team, especially with a guy like Booker on the team as well and especially against an ATROCIOUS Hawks team.
Not his fault he was picked #1. I have already expounded on the reasons he should not have been, one of which is above. I also realize that with most guys it takes a few years to really mature both on and off the court. Ayton needs more work in the lab without a doubt and I hope he embraces the need for that. But it won't matter if we continue burning lottery equity on guys like Bridges, Cam, JJ, Bender, Chriss, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duane Rankin‏Verified account @DuaneRankin

Early takes from #Suns lockerroom.

Devin Booker explained his side of techs, saying he didn't flip off Bembry, just pointed at scoreboard on 1st T.

2nd T, said he told Bembry, I can do this every time after drive, dunk.

An upset Monty Williams said there was taunting all game.

7:36 PM - 14 Jan 2020

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Devin Booker explained his side of techs, saying he didn't flip off Bembry, just pointed at scoreboard on 1st T.

Has there ever been a mentally weaker team than this Suns team?...

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I’m less mad that he’s not Embiid and more mad that he’ll never be as good as Al Jefferson.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
By the way - someone’s gonna have to be super desperate to trade for Tyler Johnson. Like, get out of an awful long-term deal bad. TJ doesn’t even provide value as a back-end rotational player.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

The suns commentators pointed out that three of the hawks were relentlessly trash talking oubre. But we got all the techs?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
By the way - someone’s gonna have to be super desperate to trade for Tyler Johnson. Like, get out of an awful long-term deal bad. TJ doesn’t even provide value as a back-end rotational player.
Yup. I’m shocked at how flat out gawd-awful he is at basketball now. How he ever got that contract is amazing.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

When I said that upon his acquisition last year, I was crucified on this board for saying so.

Heck, there were a number on this board who insisted he was a viable option as our starting point guard.