The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rockets have filed a protest over Harden's dunk that was not counted against the Spurs.

I'm with the Rockets on this one because the referees blew it. How do you not count a legitimate basket.

I'm mostly with the referees on this one. Yes, they made a mistake but at the time it sure looked like basket interference to me. And perhaps after all this settles they'll be tasked with correcting this kind of error on their own (without a challenge) but until then, it seems to me they followed their rules or at the worst, a mistaken interpretation of their rules. IOW, mistakes happen.

I see nothing special about this mistake as opposed to all the other clear-cut bad calls. This protest seems awfully childish to me, the ending is not going to get replayed so why bother?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm mostly with the referees on this one. Yes, they made a mistake but at the time it sure looked like basket interference to me. And perhaps after all this settles they'll be tasked with correcting this kind of error on their own (without a challenge) but until then, it seems to me they followed their rules or at the worst, a mistaken interpretation of their rules. Which means, mistakes happen.

I see nothing special about this mistake as opposed to all the other clear-cut bad calls. This protest seems awfully childish to me, the ending is not going to get replayed so why bother?
For future calls?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For future calls?

I don't see how it would factor in to future rules? There was a time when a protest was the best way to make the league aware of something like this but all these games are reviewed start to finish by fans, media and the league so it's a different world today. Sure, the league might instruct referees to make that call without a challenge (once they see it on camera) but they don't need an official protest to make that happen.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm mostly with the referees on this one. Yes, they made a mistake but at the time it sure looked like basket interference to me. And perhaps after all this settles they'll be tasked with correcting this kind of error on their own (without a challenge) but until then, it seems to me they followed their rules or at the worst, a mistaken interpretation of their rules. IOW, mistakes happen.

With instant replay I don't see any reason the basket shouldn't have been counted. Also the Rockets did every thing they could under the circumstances to get it corrected.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With instant replay I don't see any reason the basket shouldn't have been counted. Also the Rockets did every thing they could under the circumstances to get it corrected.

I'm not sure the refs did this whole thing correctly but in their opinion they weren't allowed to unilaterally correct a missed basket at that point without an actual Rockets challenge. The Rockets were arguing but I guess they didn't see definitive video of the play soon enough to make an actual challenge.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the refs did this whole thing correctly but in their opinion they weren't allowed to unilaterally correct a missed basket at that point without an actual Rockets challenge. The Rockets were arguing but I guess they didn't see definitive video of the play soon enough to make an actual challenge.

ESPN did a write-up about what D'Antoni tried to do. They were only allowed 30 seconds and it was unclear what the referees called and what to challenge.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fizdale has been dismissed from the NY Knicks

It was only a matter of time.

I wish the Suns had something to trade for one of their power forwards.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing about the Knicks, a team needs talent to win, especially a point guard.

Frank Ntilikina and Elfrid Payton are not the answer.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morris or Randle? I am being curious.:)

Well, definitely not Morris.

I've always liked Randle but I'm not sure how he fits long term. Bobby Portis might be interesting.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Knicks also have Taj Gibson. It's like they spent all of their capspace on PF's last offseason. How Fizdale was supposed to take the dozen PF's they have and turn them into a cohesive unit that wins games is beyond me.

Portis, Morris, Randle, Gibson, Mitchell Robinson, Ivan Rabb, and Kevin Knox. I know some of them play Center and some play SF but I think the majority of them work best as PF's.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in real-time, it wasn’t. Even Harden thought he had missed it and rushed back.

Harden knew he made the dunk. He immediately appealed to the referees (scorers table) to count it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well when you miss 30+ shots a game don't be surprised that the refs think you missed a dunk also.

I don't see how many shots Harden puts up has anything to do with making the right call. If the referees want respect they need to get the most fundamental calls right.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see how many shots Harden puts up has anything to do with making the right call. If the referees want respect they need to get the most fundamental calls right.

I was more making a joke about how many misses he had. When you shoot 25% for the game on almost 50 shots, it shouldn't be that surprising that people think a close call is a miss.

I didn't think it was that clear either. It should have been reviewed like they do with other shots that they need to look at to see if it was a 2 or 3.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Harden knew he made the dunk. He immediately appealed to the referees (scorers table) to count it.
He may have felt that way after the play was over, but in the moment he was hustling after the ball as if he thought he missed. That made it appear to the refs as if he thought he missed it. Had he just strutted back down the floor like he usually would after a make it may have sold the refs a little more that he did indeed make it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was more making a joke about how many misses he had. When you shoot 25% for the game on almost 50 shots, it shouldn't be that surprising that people think a close call is a miss.

I didn't think it was that clear either. It should have been reviewed like they do with other shots that they need to look at to see if it was a 2 or 3.

I missed the joke. Agree the referees should have reviewed it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He may have felt that way after the play was over, but in the moment he was hustling after the ball as if he thought he missed. That made it appear to the refs as if he thought he missed it. Had he just strutted back down the floor like he usually would after a make it may have sold the refs a little more that he did indeed make it.

It's up to the referees to get the call right not Harden. Anyway, he immediately rushed to make sure the referees counted the dunk. IMO, the protest should be upheld. There is no excuse not getting the call right in the day of instant replay.

All that being said, it should be something fair. It's not the Spurs fault.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Exactly.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's up to the referees to get the call right not Harden. Anyway, he immediately rushed to make sure the referees counted the dunk. IMO, the protest should be upheld. There is no excuse not getting the call right in the day of instant replay.

All that being said, it should be something fair. It's not the Spurs fault.
The only possible thing the league can realistically do is suspend the referee crew and possibly change rules. Though it's my understanding that they had the option to challenge it, but waited too long to make that decision. Maybe they can give the refs leeway to initiate a replay anytime there is a questionable play like that?

Also I fully understand it is the refs job to get it right, but considering none of them appeared to see the ball go through it is somewhat understandable that Harden's initial reaction might have affected their decision on the play.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone want Kevin Love's $28,942,830 salary?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media