Suns @ Pelicans Thursday game thread 12-5-19

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ego is reserved for the superstars imo. He isn't one of them. Guys that aren't as great as their ego can ruin teams..once again, imo

Buuut, we got the win.. maybe oubre can get all those emotions in check at some point with his time in PHX.. He is just that player for me currently that irks me in general. Lol

I disagree, ego drives more than just superstars out there. And Oubre makes things happen and his infallible belief in himself is a crucial aspect of his makeup. But either we are going to have to finish off games without him or he's going to need to learn the proper way to play out the closing minutes of a close game.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. Sure, he's young, but to not value possessions, to not use clock, when the game is winding down? That's not rocket science, it's something we all learned early. And he did something similar in the last minute of OT too. He made a great block and then after receiving a pass in the front court, he drives into a mess of defenders and puts up a wasted shot with most of the clock still available.

All nothing time and maturity can't fix. ;)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will take me a long time to forgive Oubre for this game. I can handle the occasional bad play, the missed shot, the turnover but those two late game decisions on his part were all ego and all stupid. No freaking excuse for it.

I'm not going to excuse Oubre's mistakes but he is super confident which makes him good. He thinks he can complete those plays. Oubre will respond to coaching so hopefully he will learn. Also he is only 23 the same age as some rookies.

He is not a big player by any stretch but he plays inside with the bigger players and always puts out a defensive effort in spite of his size. He had 14 rebounds tonight to go with his 14 points.

IMO, one has to take the good with the bad sort of like in the Hornets game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All nothing time and maturity can't fix. ;)

Let's hope. As I've said many times, he may not be a star but he impacts the game in so many ways. If he can ever learn to put an end to the unnecessary decisions that negatively impact the game, the gap between him and stardom will be too small to measure IMO.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
He's still young. He will learn to keep himself in check when it's called for. But for now, I'm cool taking the all the good he gives, with the small amounts of bad that pop up every now and then...
I love that the team now keeps players accountable. Both Rubio and Monty were talking to him after that great block -> dumb shot sequence. Hopefully he learns from these moments.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Let's hope. As I've said many times, he may not be a star but he impacts the game in so many ways. If he can ever learn to put an end to the unnecessary decisions that negatively impact the game, the gap between him and stardom will be too small to measure IMO.

I'm pretty sure he'll never be all-star caliber. But, he already is a very valuable piece. Had another double-double tonight, leading the time in rebounds with 15 (Booker was next with 8). Also had 3 steals.
His decision-making will improve with more time and more guidance from Monty...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to excuse Oubre's mistakes but he is super confident which makes him good. He thinks he can complete those plays. Oubre will respond to coaching so hopefully he will learn. Also he is only 23 the same age as some rookies.

He is not a big player by any stretch but he plays inside with the bigger players and always puts out a defensive effort in spite of his size. He had 14 rebounds tonight to go with his 14 points.

IMO, one has to take the good with the bad sort of like in the Hornets game.

I disagree. He made a lot of poor decisions in this game and I can live with every one of them, but not when the game is on the line. You just don't waste the shot clock like that when time is your greatest ally. And he did it 3 different times. Trust me, Monty was NOT happy especially that last time. To be clear, I'm okay with him taking questionable shots, I'm not okay with him ignoring the clock (repeatedly).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he'll never be all-star caliber. But, he already is a very valuable piece. Had another double-double tonight, leading the time in rebounds with 15 (Booker was next with 8). Also had 3 steals.
His decision-making will improve with more time and more guidance from Monty...

I really think that if he could minimize his stupid decisions, he's right there already.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Glad for the win, but this pattern of blowing 20-point second half leads needs to stop.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. He made a lot of poor decisions in this game and I can live with every one of them, but not when the game is on the line. You just don't waste the shot clock like that when time is your greatest ally. And he did it 3 different times. Trust me, Monty was NOT happy especially that last time. To be clear, I'm okay with him taking questionable shots, I'm not okay with him ignoring the clock (repeatedly).

I'm glad Monty wasn't happy. Those were mistakes. In my mind Oubre is a team player so he should improve the mental part of his game.

That said, I don't think the Suns win the game without Oubre's rebounding and defense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? He's averaging 17ppg, and 6 boards. That isn't all-stat caliber, is it?

Taking away his mental mistakes and considering how he impacts the team defensively, yeah, I'd say it's right there or pretty close to it. If we were winning 55 games and he was playing mostly error free ball with those numbers, I'd like his chances of making an all star team every now and then. Granted, those are big "ifs".

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
By the way, anyone notice how Booker was spectacular much of the game but disappeared completely down the stretch?

Sadly, it is looking more and more like Booker might be an empty stats guy who can't come through in pressure situations enough.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree, ego drives more than just superstars out there. And Oubre makes things happen and his infallible belief in himself is a crucial aspect of his makeup. But either we are going to have to finish off games without him or he's going to need to learn the proper way to play out the closing minutes of a close game.
Oh I agree that ego is at any level.. especially the pros where you don't get there without it to some extent. I just don't like oubres, is all. Something about his play rubs me the wrong way.. if he starts routinely putting up 20/10 a night I'll be a little more ok with him. :).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Glad they gutted out the win. Interesting to me that book was going off and then they switched Jrue onto him and he was completely shut down. Despite the fact that Jrue is elite level defender that concerns me. Good to see monty realized they had to go away from book in overtime to win.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Glad they gutted out the win. Interesting to me that book was going off and then they switched Jrue onto him and he was completely shut down. Despite the fact that Jrue is elite level defender that concerns me. Good to see monty realized they had to go away from book in overtime to win.
'Good to see that our coach negated their coach (once a Suns coach) to even the odds and get us the win.

Does anyone have a formula for minimizing the double teams against Book? Will Ayton's return help?

I wonder if the Suns are analyzing what position(s) are being switched onto him. Across the board?
Point Guard. Small Forward, Power Forward, Center?

Theoretically, whichever Sun is left open should immediately get the ball. I wonder if they practice
all of the possibilities and what type of shot each of the other position players should take while
the double team is in effect.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ugly game, but they played very well in the thirds and in OT. Book had a very good game, and a bunch of others contributed. Rubio, Frank, Cam, Oubre, Bridges. I'll take a win any way they can get it without Ayton and Baynes.

Yeah every win right now feels like a bonus without Ayton and Baynes.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s the Booker we all want to see. Decisive and aggressive not passive. He tried so hard to go at Holiday but holiday was on point last night.

I mentioned this in another thread but he’s better at iso rather than getting a screen set for him. First we don’t have the big bodies for a great screen. Second the screens only lead to him being doubled.

Bridges still looks to be more aggressive, needs to dunk that iiish instead of a weak layup. Oubre hustle and emotion, despite his emotions getting the best of him I think he was trying to put the game away. Was finally nice to see Frank have a couple of dunks, Saric was hosed on foul calls. Rubio was Rubio last night.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns didn't get win #10 until January 8th last season. They're more than a month ahead of last year's record and have done so without Ayton.

I can't wait until Ayton comes back because then we might be able to keep Baynes healthy as well since he won't be relied on for 30+ minutes a night.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose