Steelers' 3rd string QB

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Steelers third string QB, Duck Hodges, will start against the Cardinals this Sunday. I am getting flashbacks to a few years ago when Roethlisberger was on IR, and back up QB, Michael Vick, got hurt during the game against the Cards. They brought in their third string QB and STILL beat the Cardninals!!!

Who was that QB? I can't remember.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Steelers third string QB, Duck Hodges, will start against the Cardinals this Sunday. I am getting flashbacks to a few years ago when Roethlisberger was on IR, and back up QB, Michael Vick, got hurt during the game against the Cards. They brought in their third string QB and STILL beat the Cardninals!!!

Who what that QB? I can't remember.

or just think about this year when Carolinas back up shredded us apart. Ever QB has looked elite vs us really. Qbs and TEs.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This game is on Kyler. He needs to show he is special and get a win vs a 3rd string QB. No excuses on this one.
I don’t understand this.

It’s not 1v1 out there. What about the 11 players Hodges will be actually going against out there?

You telling me that if Kyler put up a statline of 4:0 TDs/INTs with 386 yards against a great defense with two potential DPOY candidates while Hodges puts up 2:1 against this porous defense with 288 yards, but still wins, you hold that against Kyler?

Like what?

OP
OP
Cardsmasochist

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Landry Jones

Thank you, cardcrazy! Couldn't remember Landry Jones' name. And this loss against the Steelers was in 2015 when the Cardinals were actually a good team. Let's see how the Cardinals respond this Sunday after getting embarassed by the Rams. As BigRed pointed out, we don't play well against back up QBs like the game against the Panthers.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The best unit in this game is Pittsburgh's defense. The worst unit in the game is AZ's Defense.

the game will be won by the team who can move the ball the best and control the clock the best.

With that being said:
They have won 7 games and are in the AFC playoffs right now.
They have a Coach of the Year candidate.
They are 7-2 in their last 9 games. All with a Drew Stanton Level QB starting.
They have been without Conner or JuJu in last two or three.
They barely lost to Baltimore in OT with a Drew Stanton level QB.
They won last week with an undrafted rookie QB from Samford college and a 3rd string Rookie 4th round RB.

We are 3-6 in our last 9 and have lost 5 straight.
We have the worst defense in the league and the worst secondary of maybe the past decade in AZ.
We will also be a road team in our own stadium this weekend.

If we win...... This would be a shocker IMO.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

Who was that QB? I can't remember.

Landry Jones i think was his name.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if he played against the 3rd string QB on the field that would make sense. This game is on the defense to show they can stop a 3rd string QB.
We know the defense can’t stop any QB. Kliff, K1 and the offense need to step up and put up 40+ if we want to win. The online and running backs need to step up and help us win the TOP battle. If we give any offense the ball, they’re going to score. That’s a given. Our defense this year is as pathetic as our offense was last year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand this.

It’s not 1v1 out there. What about the 11 players Hodges will be actually going against out there?

You telling me that if Kyler put up a statline of 4:0 TDs/INTs with 386 yards against a great defense with two potential DPOY candidates while Hodges puts up 2:1 against this porous defense with 288 yards, but still wins, you hold that against Kyler?

Like what?

Same argument I had before. Plays well and loses, he needs to win, he's our QBoF.
Plays average and wins, he needs to play good and win.

Can't win for losing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best unit in this game is Pittsburgh's defense. The worst unit in the game is AZ's Defense.

the game will be won by the team who can move the ball the best and control the clock the best.

With that being said:
They have won 7 games and are in the AFC playoffs right now.
They have a Coach of the Year candidate.
They are 7-2 in their last 9 games. All with a Drew Stanton Level QB starting.
They have been without Conner or JuJu in last two or three.
They barely lost to Baltimore in OT with a Drew Stanton level QB.
They won last week with an undrafted rookie QB from Samford college and a 3rd string Rookie 4th round RB.

We are 3-6 in our last 9 and have lost 5 straight.
We have the worst defense in the league and the worst secondary of maybe the past decade in AZ.
We will also be a road team in our own stadium this weekend.

If we win...... This would be a shocker IMO.

Really, Tomlin as coach of the year? Who has said that?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Really, Tomlin as coach of the year? Who has said that?
It was debated on ESPN on Monday. He really has done a good job this year with everything that has gone on.

Ben & now Mason
AB
Lev Bell
Minkah trade
Conner injuries.
JuJu concussed
Currently the 6th seed.

I bet he's top 3 or 4 right now.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This game is on Kyler. He needs to show he is special and get a win vs a 3rd string QB. No excuses on this one.

There’s no excuses to have another sub-200 yard game or not throwing a TD. You can’t expect him to win a game by himself but FFS this is the era of inflated passing stats.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was debated on ESPN on Monday. He really has done a good job this year with everything that has gone on.

Ben & now Mason
AB
Lev Bell
Minkah trade
Conner injuries.
JuJu concussed
Currently the 6th seed.

I bet he's top 3 or 4 right now.

Bar is low I suppose. Based on that, Arians should have won COY on his final year for somehow bringing this team to 8-8. He didn't get a single vote.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bar is low I suppose. Based on that, Arians should have won COY on his final year for somehow bringing this team to 8-8. He didn't get a single vote.
Wasn't he just coming off winning it two years earlier? That always hampers people.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't he just coming off winning it two years earlier? That always hampers people.

It was. I think his 8-8 year was just as impressive, if not more than when he actually won it.

Unfortunately, that isn't how the voting seems to go.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bar is that he can't look so completely overwhelmed as he did last week. Pitt has a good defense, but SF had the best defense in the NFL and Kyler didn't look overmatched in either game against them. Baltimore has a great defense, he put up nearly 350 yards passing although he had INT's. Last week low passing yards and very easily could have had 5 picks. IT was by far his worst game.

He's got to play much better this week to show he can respond to adversity, not being 100% healthy, he can't look that uncomfortable in the pocket this week.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bar is that he can't look so completely overwhelmed as he did last week. Pitt has a good defense, but SF had the best defense in the NFL and Kyler didn't look overmatched in either game against them. Baltimore has a great defense, he put up nearly 350 yards passing although he had INT's. Last week low passing yards and very easily could have had 5 picks. IT was by far his worst game.

He's got to play much better this week to show he can respond to adversity, not being 100% healthy, he can't look that uncomfortable in the pocket this week.

I think he flat out panicked at the offensive line and that got into his head. Not that the o-line is at fault. He was terrible last week.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he flat out panicked at the offensive line and that got into his head. Not that the o-line is at fault. He was terrible last week.

I forget which game it was but Tony Romo worked a game recently, might have been Thanksgiving the Dallas game(?) and he said in his experience nothing bothers a QB more than constant pressure up the middle because you're taught to step up and when you can't it messes everything up. I feel like that sort of happened to Kyler he didn't trust that he was going to have a pocket, especially after Donald hit him hard twice and then the bad habits came in backing up, trying to leak out the side, the sidearm throws without looking etc.

SF pressured him too but I never got the impression in those games he didn't trust his OL. Of course in game 1, we got a great run game from Drake, and in game 2, Murray had a great run game, which wasn't likely to happen last Sunday because of the hammy.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Couldn't disagree more with whatever point you're trying to make. Kyler won't be running away from Pittsburgh's 3rd string QB. The Steeler's D is one of the best in ALL of football & will make our OL look ridiculous. This game will hinge on whether our pathetic D can keep a very average Steeler offense in check.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Actually, Duck started as 4th stringer...remember the immortal Josh Dobbs?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

One thing that jumped out to me was how quick the edge rush got to Murray against the Rams. Fowler and Matthew's got deep into the backfield and that really seemed to mess with Murray quite a bit.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Aaron Donald clothes-lined him with one paw. That ish takes some getting used to. haha