15 thoughts - Rams game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Kyler Murray certainly does not help the offensive line. Holds on to the ball waaaay too long, and runs backwards waaaay too often.

2 – Is the defensive coordinator the problem or is the lack of talent? Chicken and egg.

3 – Other than Fitzgerald, and to some extent Christian Kirk, no receiver regularly gets open. I looked at some lists of potential free agents coming up this offseason (I know it is cheating, since it is not directly related to the game), and it is not entirely impossible that Cowboys’s wide receiver Amari Cooper tests the market. If so, you break the bank for him.

4 – Good game from Cassius Marsh. He played a little more than Suggs, who has had a pretty big drop in snaps the last couple of weeks (and played fewer this weeks than last), while Marsh had significant more snaps this week than last. I like Marsh.

5 – They showed a stat that since week 11 the Cards has the most penalties in the league. Why week 11? I mean, that’s pretty misleading. Why not week 10? Or week 3? Or the start of the season which would actually give the right picture? The Jets scored six point, so they now have the least amount of scoring points since week 13. The penalty-thing is pretty bad, though.

6 – Dennis Gardeck is really a stud special teams player. Key player.

7 – When the doctors come on the field to check the injured players, some of them are wearing suits. Why? It happens in others sports as well, and every time I see it, it baffles me.

8 – Did you get a flashback to last year or was this worse? That’s the question, as my good friend Hamlet would say.

9 – This was a season low for the pass defense. They say something can always get worse, but no, this actually cannot get any worse.

10 – The friends Kliff Kingsbury and Sean McVay wearing the exact same shirt? Come on, guys! That’s not good enough. Tighten up!

11 – On the pass interference on Fitzgerald early in the third quarter, why would you review anything that he complaints about? He so rarely complaints, so when he finally does, he is right. Count on it.

12 – Right after halftime the stadium speaker actually could have shouted “rise up Red Sea! – to go home”, and it would have been reasonable.

13 – Do you re-sign Patrick Peterson now? Not saying he would come cheap, but has his value ever been lower? He is certainly young and talented enough to bounce back from this not-so-good stretch.

14 – I have been wondering if David Johnson’s injury was (is?) worse than we know of, and if that is why he is not playing more. Good idea to try to get him going late in the game. If healthy, he could potentially be an important weapon.

15 – Right now the Cardinals is #7 in the draft order. Do you – as a fan – start to hope for a favorable draft spot? I don’t, but I understand why someone would. I will admit that I hoped for it last year, but that was only because it was the #1 pick that was in play, and since the season had been a catastrophe, I thought it was necessary. Sometimes you have to lose to win. My main point for not hoping for it is that the team does not stop just because the season does. Things carry over to next year. I want those things to be good on-field stuff.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
I'd trade Peterson for a first, otherwise, I'd probably keep him. We have him under contract for another year, right? Players tend to play their best in a contract year.

I'll always root for a win and be disappointed if we lose, but as long as we're competitive, I'll be less disappointed with a loss knowing we'll get a good draft slot. I just don't trust Keim picking outside the top 10.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Top 7 right now..... But we may have the #5 pick at this pace.

Atlanta, Washington & Miami are all in the way of #4. Can't believe the Giants are worse than the Redskins & Dolphins now. haha

More perspective: two of our three wins are against the two worst teams in the league. The third, Atlanta..... has the same amount of wins we do.

Ugh.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
My one thought.

Haasan Reddick......played 1 snap yesterday.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
15- If losing the rest of the games gets Keim fired I hope they get torched the remainder of the season. A higher draft pick in round 1 is a bonus. I’ve been following this team religiously since they moved to the Valley but enough is enough for me and anything that increases his chances of being fired is worth it to me.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Consider it?

Hell no, we better take that ASAP.
I still hold out hope that Vance's scheme is part of Pat's problem. I do realize that I am probably wrong though.

If we give him to any NFC team I would be slightly disappointed but the pick would probably be better than our AFC options. Houston, & KC come to mind.

Philly & Dallas bidding against each other would be fun but unlikely with Howie's pedigree.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Do teams who cannot make playoffs tend to fall away late in seasons?

We looked a bit flat right from the beginning. Did the last few games where we have had chances to win against good teams, played quite well in patches but ultimately walked away with nothing take their toll? Only so often you can enthusiastically front up without any winning fuel.

To my untrained eye we seem to be a real confidence team.

If the defence gives up a pass or run (or both) early there seems to be a lot of finger pointing, panicking. Same on offence. If early drives are poor we seem to get stuck in a rut that takes a half or longer to get out of. Second guess ourselves, take too long to pull the trigger, run cautious plays, get openly frustrated with each other.

Whereas a couple of things go right on defence or offence suddenly there is swagger, better body language. We don't seem to be able to put errors behind us and focus on the next play. Some individuals lack a bit of resilience. Leads to massive swings during games.

What the individuals do in those moments/games when they're up and about and at their best vs what they do most of the time is the key. It's easy to be seduced by the former (eg Drake's first game for us) but it's the latter that ultimately delivers.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd trade Peterson for a first, otherwise, I'd probably keep him. We have him under contract for another year, right? Players tend to play their best in a contract year.

I don’t know, NM. If someone are willing to pay a #1 pick for him it would obviously be because they believe that he can get better, and if the Cards make the same evaluation, they should keep him, I think. Also, I think it is clear that they lack talent on defense. If they can again get one of the best cornerbacks in the league, I think it is dangerous to let him go.

Yes, player often plays the best in the last year of their contract, only because they are well aware it could give them a huge payday.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
Atlanta, Washington & Miami are all in the way of #4. Can't believe the Giants are worse than the Redskins & Dolphins now. haha
The Dolphins next games are the Jets, the Giants, and the Bengals. There's a very real chance that they miraculously go 6-10.

Morty

Veteran
Reaction score
1 – Kyler Murray certainly does not help the offensive line. Holds on to the ball waaaay too long, and runs backwards waaaay too often.

2 – Is the defensive coordinator the problem or is the lack of talent? Chicken and egg.

3 – Other than Fitzgerald, and to some extent Christian Kirk, no receiver regularly gets open. I looked at some lists of potential free agents coming up this offseason (I know it is cheating, since it is not directly related to the game), and it is not entirely impossible that Cowboys’s wide receiver Amari Cooper tests the market. If so, you break the bank for him.

4 – Good game from Cassius Marsh. He played a little more than Suggs, who has had a pretty big drop in snaps the last couple of weeks (and played fewer this weeks than last), while Marsh had significant more snaps this week than last. I like Marsh.

5 – They showed a stat that since week 11 the Cards has the most penalties in the league. Why week 11? I mean, that’s pretty misleading. Why not week 10? Or week 3? Or the start of the season which would actually give the right picture? The Jets scored six point, so they now have the least amount of scoring points since week 13. The penalty-thing is pretty bad, though.

7 – When the doctors come on the field to check the injured players, some of them are wearing suits. Why? It happens in others sports as well, and every time I see it, it baffles me.

8 – Did you get a flashback to last year or was this worse? That’s the question, as my good friend Hamlet would say.

9 – This was a season low for the pass defense. They say something can always get worse, but no, this actually cannot get any worse.

10 – The friends Kliff Kingsbury and Sean McVay wearing the exact same shirt? Come on, guys! That’s not good enough. Tighten up!

11 – On the pass interference on Fitzgerald early in the third quarter, why would you review anything that he complaints about? He so rarely complaints, so when he finally does, he is right. Count on it.

12 – Right after halftime the stadium speaker actually could have shouted “rise up Red Sea! – to go home”, and it would have been reasonable.

13 – Do you re-sign Patrick Peterson now? Not saying he would come cheap, but has his value ever been lower? He is certainly young and talented enough to bounce back from this not-so-good stretch.

14 – I have been wondering if David Johnson’s injury was (is?) worse than we know of, and if that is why he is not playing more. Good idea to try to get him going late in the game. If healthy, he could potentially be an important weapon.

15 – Right now the Cardinals is #7 in the draft order. Do you – as a fan – start to hope for a favorable draft spot? I don’t, but I understand why someone would. I will admit that I hoped for it last year, but that was only because it was the #1 pick that was in play, and since the season had been a catastrophe, I thought it was necessary. Sometimes you have to lose to win. My main point for not hoping for it is that the team does not stop just because the season does. Things carry over to next year. I want those things to be good on-field stuff.
Good question regarding draft position. The cards have had high picks in the last 2 drafts. How many of those players are solid picks? I does appear that the team has shifted its draft philosophy as seen in matching closely to PFF's draft board. I'm inclined to go with play a great game and loose by 1 at this point. If you shoot a basketball from 3 feet vs 12 feet which one has the best chance of going in?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your #3 explains #1. He holds the ball because nobody is open.

Having to play someone like Marsh is a big part of our problem.

Peterson may not get you a second now.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

4. I like Marsh, we should resign him. I say we should limit Suggs snaps these last 4 games. Play Marsh & Reddick, what can it hurt at this point? See if Reddick can hold up as an edge rusher? We all know he isn't an ILB.

6. Gardeck is a ST stud. We need him there.

13. I'm not so sure about what to do with PP? Does he need PED's at his age? He's approaching 30. Is he tanking it to get traded? Does he just not have it any longer?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My one thought.

Haasan Reddick......played 1 snap yesterday.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy
Yes, & on that one snap, he gave up the TD to another TE. They should do as they've talked. Put Reddick as an edge rusher & see what happens? He's not an ILB.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good question regarding draft position. The cards have had high picks in the last 2 drafts. How many of those players are solid picks? I does appear that the team has shifted its draft philosophy as seen in matching closely to PFF's draft board. I'm inclined to go with play a great game and loose by 1 at this point. If you shoot a basketball from 3 feet vs 12 feet which one has the best chance of going in?
Good question? Depends on the shooter lol. SK followed PFF draft board to a tee. If SK is kept, we can only hope he follows their board in 2020 lol. They have a better draft lined out for us than he's capable of. He did get the OL coach & QB right. KK gives me hope. Especially seeing him use 11 & 12 personnel. It's fine to use 10 personnel if we have 1 or 2 WR's that can get serious separation. He's shown me so far that he's willing to adapt. Imo, he will be hell bent in the offseason to find what works best for this team.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, that’s true, but I also think there is some rookie-learning as part of the reason.

I don’t agree. He just can’t be your next-best pass rusher.
I agree with you, Marsh isn't a bona fide #2 pass rusher but he is decent. Quality depth/rotational player & should be resigned. He would be even better with a disruptive DT playing beside him. I would love for us to draft D. Brown (DT from Auburn) dude is a stud. Some on this board like Kinlaw from South Carolina. He's good also.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree with you, Marsh isn't a bona fide #2 pass rusher but he is decent. Quality depth/rotational player & should be resigned. He would be even better with a disruptive DT playing beside him. I would love for us to draft D. Brown (DT from Auburn) dude is a stud. Some on this board like Kinlaw from South Carolina. He's good also.

I think a stud inside pass rusher would do wonders, CFL. I think it would make all the edge rushers better, which would make the secondary better. I really think it could be the key to a much better defense.

And yes, I agree with you that Marsh is a good rotational player, and I would even argue that he should be brought back before Suggs is brought back. In the start of this season I was much higher on Suggs than I am now. I think he would be wise to hang up the cleats after this season. Go out on top.

Skipper1111

Rookie
Reaction score
I trade Patrick Peterson and David Johnson for draft picks ASAP. I let Suggs retire...I trade my top pick for more picks, We have tons of needs. I don’t break the bank for a wide receiver or any player, I draft a good one

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a stud inside pass rusher would do wonders, CFL. I think it would make all the edge rushers better, which would make the secondary better. I really think it could be the key to a much better defense.

And yes, I agree with you that Marsh is a good rotational player, and I would even argue that he should be brought back before Suggs is brought back. In the start of this season I was much higher on Suggs than I am now. I think he would be wise to hang up the cleats after this season. Go out on top.

Inside pass rushers are rarer than franchise QBs. There are less than 10 in the entire league IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose