Seriously though, fire Joseph

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And Bettcher wasn't all that either. He basically inherited TBs defense. He's going to get canned in NY. He isn't here anymore because Keim cut him loose because he didn't fit Wilks defense style. So either way you look at it Keim screwed the pooch.

OP
OP
cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kingsbury hasn't done squat yet as a HC. You are your record. As a OC his made an improvement but the bar is low being the worst offense the year prior and spending most of the draft capital on offense.

Arians assembled his own crew, not Keim and it wasn't like he found Arians in obscurity. There was all sorts of talk of him getting a shot at HC after his interim performance.
Bahahahahahahhha. Maybe the most self-contradicting post I’ve ever read lol. Keep up the good work.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Talent AND coaching are both bad. Ultimately both things land on Keim since he hand picked all of the players and the coach.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Keim and Joseph both need to go. I was holding on to give them a chance to rebuild this offseason but I cant take anymore. Our d just gets shredded, constantly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Joseph obviously needs to be fired ASAP. This pass defense is on the verge of setting records for futility, and he seems to have the same failed gameplan for every game.

However, the lack of defensive talent on this team cannot be overstated. Who is Keim's best defensive draft pick? Baker, who has now gone almost 3 YEARS without an INT. Badger? Golden? Both are playing for other teams already. Murphy has shown some promise, but he has been pretty average as far as rookie CBs go.

16 players recorded defensive stats today. Only 5 of them were drafted by Keim, and none of them were the 3 defensive players he drafted in the first round over the past 6 years. This is not normal. No successful team can survive this level of ineptitude. The fact that more people aren't calling for Keim's job at this point is frankly shocking. Vance is bad, but Keim is debilitatingly destructive.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joseph obviously needs to be fired ASAP. This pass defense is on the verge of setting records for futility, and he seems to have the same failed gameplan for every game.

However, the lack of defensive talent on this team cannot be overstated. Who is Keim's best defensive draft pick? Baker, who has now gone almost 3 YEARS without an INT. Badger? Golden? Both are playing for other teams already. Murphy has shown some promise, but he has been pretty average as far as rookie CBs go.

16 players recorded defensive stats today. Only 5 of them were drafted by Keim, and none of them were the 3 defensive players he drafted in the first round over the past 6 years. This is not normal. No successful team can survive this level of ineptitude. The fact that more people aren't calling for Keim's job at this point is frankly shocking. Vance is bad, but Keim is debilitatingly destructive.
Pretty sure a lot of people are calling for both.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Between Arians, Wilks and KK no one managed a winning season in the last three years. And it is all Vance Joseph's fault?

Slingshot this thread using Jupiter's gravity into the far reaches of solar system.

Sent from my 6060S using Tapatalk

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Lol. Some of the common themes on this board are laughable. Buddha Baker and Hicks are both very good, above average starters. We have the best pass rusher in the NFL. We have strong veteran leadership. This crap d will likely have 4 guys in the Pro Bowl and would’ve had 5 if 21 wasn’t a cheater and our DC could hike his skirt up and play man occasionally. Corey Peters is a legit starter. Suggs is no longer a PB’er but he’s a legit starter. So is Brock as a nickel. It’s late in the season. Everyone can’t be a star and every team has injuries. To blame this on lack of talent is a joke.

I’m truly not sure if this is sarcasm or a real analysis. Five pro bowlers? Baker, Peters, Suggs , Brock and PP are hangers on at this point. There is very little talent on the defense and when the offense is ineffective they are even worst. This lost was on the defensive talent first, then the offense who leaves the defense on the field too long.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I'm not ready to fire Joseph until the end of the season. There are a lot of young players who have not improved. Is it lack of talent or coaching?
I don't pretend to know, but something is rotten in Denmark or is it Arizona?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scheme, not talent? Could be.
Or not.

One thing I noticed: Cardinal defenders usually played 3 or 4 yds off their man. Ram defenders were glued to their man. On average - our defenders were conceding nearly a half-dozen yards per play - prescription to lose.

Another thing - if you tally up all the one-on-one battles (i.e. jump balls, open field tackles, 1 hand catches, blitzer vs. pass blocker etc.) we lost about 90% of those. Scheme? Technique? Athletic Ability? That's for smart, committed football minds to determine; but what you don't do is continue to watch it happening while doing nothing.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scheme, not talent? Could be.
Or not.

One thing I noticed: Cardinal defenders usually played 3 or 4 yds off their man. Ram defenders were glued to their man. On average - our defenders were conceding nearly a half-dozen yards per play - prescription to lose.

Another thing - if you tally up all the one-on-one battles (i.e. jump balls, open field tackles, 1 hand catches, blitzer vs. pass blocker etc.) we lost about 90% of those. Scheme? Technique? Athletic Ability? That's for smart, committed football minds to determine; but what you don't do is continue to watch it happening.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What I know is this...our players do not have a clue where they are going and who they should be covering. IMO, that is coaching. You either can't translate the message or you can't identify players who get it. Maybe this is outside of Vance's control. Maybe Keim is forcing him to play certain players.

All I know is that I can stomach getting beat because we don't have enough talent.

I can stomach getting beat because we have to blitz to generate pressure.

What is tough for me to stomach is no defensive identity and players not knowing where they need to be.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What I know is this...our players do not have a clue where they are going and who they should be covering. IMO, that is coaching. You either can't translate the message or you can't identify players who get it. Maybe this is outside of Vance's control. Maybe Keim is forcing him to play certain players.

All I know is that I can stomach getting beat because we don't have enough talent.

I can stomach getting beat because we have to blitz to generate pressure.

What is tough for me to stomach is no defensive identity and players not knowing where they need to be.

Like I said in another thread, I can literally ID where teams are going with the ball on almost any play.

Joseph's defense is the worst kind of defense: a soft zone defense that gives the offense tons of room to catch passes and run for YAC. Rarely do you see DBs in the receivers face challenging them. I'd much rather a DB get beat doing that then watch how often you see completely open receivers catch easy passes.

I watched this game with a Rams fan, and I told him I probably saw ONE difficult pass from Goff all game long.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I am Kilff, I would go up to Micheal (screw Keim and his backed in illogical corner) and say get rid of Joseph because my career has no hope with him controlling the defense

Kliff has no frame of reference for how bad this defense is. Compared to his defense at Texas Tech, the Cards defense is the iron curtain. Also, he is so detached from what is even going on with the defense he has no credibility

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Like I said in another thread, I can literally ID where teams are going with the ball on almost any play.

Joseph's defense is the worst kind of defense: a soft zone defense that gives the offense tons of room to catch passes and run for YAC. Rarely do you see DBs in the receivers face challenging them. I'd much rather a DB get beat doing that then watch how often you see completely open receivers catch easy passes.

I watched this game with a Rams fan, and I told him I probably saw ONE difficult pass from Goff all game long.

Have you ever considered the defensive personnel is so weak there is nothing VJ or Wilks could do in either 4-3, 3-4 or 4-2-5?