U of A Football - 2019

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Difference is this team has an NFL QB on the roster, good WRs and RBs, an an NFL LT. Mac had no talent. If Sumlin aggressively recruited defensive players and made a great DC hire, we’d be a competitive team. Offensively, we’re one of the best in the conference.

And yet, with all the talent, this team hasn't competed in several weeks, since the win at Colorado. Any explanation for that?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
And yet, with all the talent, this team hasn't competed in several weeks, since the win at Colorado. Any explanation for that?

The team is scoring points. The problem is it’s also allowing too many points. You put up 30-45 points a game, you should win. Simple. Arizona doesn’t even need to be a defensive juggernaut to be competitive, just be competent.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The team is scoring points. The problem is it’s also allowing too many points. You put up 30-45 points a game, you should win. Simple. Arizona doesn’t even need to be a defensive juggernaut to be competitive, just be competent.

To give up 56 at home to a bad Oregon State offense is inexcusable and would get just about any other coach fired, particularly coming on the heels of a month's worth of blowout losses.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ona-wildcats-football-todd-graham/4157241002/

If it were to happen, however, Oehler brought up a name that could be a possibility: Former ASU coach Todd Graham.

"There are a few options, like this is a name I think every Arizona Wildcats fan is going to dry heave when I mention, but honestly I would be curious to know whether you would make this decision," Oehler said. "You know who is available, who has got a career record of 95-61 and a familiarity with not only the state, but the conference. Todd Graham would probably work for free. Todd Graham would probably sign up for $1.5 million a year and I think at this point Kevin Sumlin has orchestrated this program to fall behind Oregon State. That is not a place that he is likely to come back from."

Oh my goodness.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not happening. Arizona would *maybe* consider him for their DC position.

That was my thought, no way in hell, it would just be too weird in light of the rivalry, etc.

Someone on another board said he moved back to Texas.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is starting to look more and more like the John Mackovic era. Very depressing.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Well, no longer scoring points OR playing defense. A blowout loss against ASU, and I think that might be it...

TJ

Reaction score
Well, no longer scoring points OR playing defense. A blowout loss against ASU, and I think that might be it...
Im all for getting rid of Sumlin, but financially, this AD is cash-strapped. Where are they gonna find the money to pay for his massive buyout and hire another coach?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Im all for getting rid of Sumlin, but financially, this AD is cash-strapped. Where are they gonna find the money to pay for his massive buyout and hire another coach?
As an ASU alum I have the answer, but to keep peace I will keep it to myself. :cool:

AZ Native

Reaction score
Believe it or not, but as a native Phoenician, I root for EVERY Arizona college team, unless they are playing ASU. I am an Arizonan first. Yes, I supported U of A basketball when they won it all.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This is starting to look more and more like the John Mackovic era. Very depressing.

We’ve said that about every coach since Mackovic quite honestly. It goes to crap for everyone. Even the beloved Tomey only had two 9-win seasons in 15 years. His last two were 6-6 and 5-6.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We’ve said that about every coach since Mackovic quite honestly. It goes to crap for everyone. Even the beloved Tomey only had two 9-win seasons in 15 years. His last two were 6-6 and 5-6.

Yeah, but this team isn't even competing anymore...

TJ

Reaction score

This feels different. This feels like when I was at UofA during the Mac era. Hopeless, no plan, no trust from the alum/fans, and an incompetent AD behind the controls.

Given our financial situation, I don’t know what the solution is. Sumlin’s buyout is $10mil. It goes to $5mil after the 2020 season.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I probably will not watch the entire game vs ASU. I cannot see it being close. The players have given up. It was senior night and even though Tate is not the better qb, he should of started. I am sure many of the players were not too happy with that decision.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I probably will not watch the entire game vs ASU. I cannot see it being close. The players have given up. It was senior night and even though Tate is not the better qb, he should of started. I am sure many of the players were not too happy with that decision.

This looks to me to be the worst shape in which this team has been since the Mackovic mutiny. Your thoughts?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, but as a native Phoenician, I root for EVERY Arizona college team, unless they are playing ASU. I am an Arizonan first. Yes, I supported U of A basketball when they won it all.

Me too. And I know a lot of home grown Sun Devil fans that feel the same way especially those of us that left the state after college. But most UA fans from Tucson and out of state fans from either school tend to see it quite differently.

AZ Native

Reaction score
Me too. And I know a lot of home grown Sun Devil fans that feel the same way especially those of us that left the state after college. But most UA fans from Tucson and out of state fans from either school tend to see it quite differently.
I was in San Francisco on a business trip in 97 when the Wildcats won it all. I was in watching the championship game in a bar with a colleague. We were the only two people in the bar cheering for the Wildcats. When the game finished we were the only two celebrating. I talked to some other patrons after the game and they just knew Arizona won. They didn't know the difference between ASU and U of A. I see that a lot when I am out of state.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know, Utah is a great team, they beat us (ASU) pretty handily too.

The Wildcats beat a couple of teams that we lost to (UCLA and Colorado) before the wheels fell off.

I am expecting your team will be highly motivated and we'll have a great matchup on Saturday.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
After seeing former Heisman hopeful Khalil Tate effectively flip Sumlin the bird this game, I believe it's time for Sumlin to go. The problem is that I really don't trust Heeke to hire anybody at this point.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
This feels different. This feels like when I was at UofA during the Mac era. Hopeless, no plan, no trust from the alum/fans, and an incompetent AD behind the controls.

Given our financial situation, I don’t know what the solution is. Sumlin’s buyout is $10mil. It goes to $5mil after the 2020 season.

After digesting the loss tonight, this is Mackovician. I don’t remember a team literally quitting on a coach to this level with such a negative trajectory. 0-7 after a relatively hopeful start. And the worst part is the fact that the University improved the facilities drastically over the past few years, so the “facility” and “recruiting” excuse is out the window. Like I said, better have someone lined up if you fire him. Start figuring it out now in advance of 2021. A Todd Graham level coach is not the answer.

TJ

Reaction score
After digesting the loss tonight, this is Mackovician. I don’t remember a team literally quitting on a coach to this level with such a negative trajectory. 0-7 after a relatively hopeful start. And the worst part is the fact that the University improved the facilities drastically over the past few years, so the “facility” and “recruiting” excuse is out the window. Like I said, better have someone lined up if you fire him. Start figuring it out now in advance of 2021. A Todd Graham level coach is not the answer.

Very Mackovician. I never felt that Sumlin was a stellar coach, but I did think he could bring in some top-tier recruits. He’s failed in that department. There are some nice pieces, but not enough depth on the two-deep. Without talent, Sumlin is worthless. Get a motivated coordinator or mid-major coach to put in work.

TJ

Reaction score
And Heeke just announced that Sumlin’s coming back.

Woo-Freaking-Hoo

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I just watched the interview with Tate about his career at Arizona. Pretty sad

What happened to Tate's career? I don't really follow UofA football at all and haven't seen what caused his downfall. He seemed like a world beater a few years ago and had me worried as an ASU guy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose