Deandre Ayton facing 25 game suspension

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the players association did rush the appeal? Where have you heard otherwise?

And, no, that's not proof that he wasn't trying to mask pot. You're assuming he knew the rules on pot, knew the rules on diuretics and understood the consequences. Maybe you're right but unless you've come across something new, we're still in the dark.

It's also my understanding (and I know very little about this) that had he been taking a PED traces of it would have still shown up during the more involved testing that would have been done on the B sample yet nothing else was found.

I agree with all this. What puzzles me is how long the appeal process is taking. The NBPA can expedite two cases per year and I understand Ayton is one of this.

I haven't heard anything new about John Collins appeal for a 25 game suspension.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree with all this. What puzzles me is how long the appeal process is taking. The NBPA can expedite two cases per year and I understand Ayton is one of this.

I haven't heard anything new about John Collins appeal for a 25 game suspension.
I think we can stop hoping for anything less than 25 games. Expedited or not, he’s not here. Is what it is. He either did something wrong or did something accidental, either way it was stupid, it hurt the team, it hurt the fans, and it hurt his development. That’s all there is.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we can stop hoping for anything less than 25 games. Expedited or not, he’s not here. Is what it is. He either did something wrong or did something accidental, either way it was stupid, it hurt the team, it hurt the fans, and it hurt his development. That’s all there is.

I'm not expecting a lesser suspension for Ayton although one can always hope. However, I was expecting to hear the results of the appeal. Of course if it is denied maybe it's better not to announce it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the players association did rush the appeal? Where have you heard otherwise?

And, no, that's not proof that he wasn't trying to mask pot. You're assuming he knew the rules on pot, knew the rules on diuretics and understood the consequences. Maybe you're right but unless you've come across something new, we're still in the dark.

It's also my understanding (and I know very little about this) that had he been taking a PED traces of it would have still shown up during the more involved testing that would have been done on the B sample yet nothing else was found.

I guess it could still happen but I heard on the radio that usually the decision is swift if it’s a clear case of an accident.

Also I call bull. NBA players and especially rookies are very well versed on these rules before they ever play a game.

In terms of masking it’s whack a mole. New synthetics comes out all the time. Sports leagues are constantly updating testing as new things come out. He could have been masking something new and it wouldn’t show anything else in his system. I think cycling is one of the few sports that keeps old samples for future testing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it could still happen but I heard on the radio that usually the decision is swift if it’s a clear case of an accident.

Also I call bull. NBA players and especially rookies are very well versed on these rules before they ever play a game.

In terms of masking it’s whack a mole. New synthetics comes out all the time. Sports leagues are constantly updating testing as new things come out. He could have been masking something new and it wouldn’t show anything else in his system. I think cycling is one of the few sports that keeps old samples for future testing.

You should probably watch more of his interviews. I don't find it difficult at all to believe that he waltzed through all the sessions explaining the big boy risks and consequences without learning a single thing. As has been said, he's an overgrown lovable kid and kids often think they are immortal and invulnerable.

To be clear, I certainly don't think he's above taking something to make his life better/easier on the basketball court, I just don't believe we have enough evidence to confidently say what he was actually trying to do.

And back to the "masking", are diuretics really the masking agent of choice for all these new untestable PEDs? I don't think so. And, again, when they tested his B sample it was clean of everything illegal except diuretics and that's supposed to be highly unlikely from what I've read.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should probably watch more of his interviews. I don't find it difficult at all to believe that he waltzed through all the sessions explaining the big boy risks and consequences without learning a single thing. As has been said, he's an overgrown lovable kid and kids often think they are immortal and invulnerable.

To be clear, I certainly don't think he's above taking something to make his life better/easier on the basketball court, I just don't believe we have enough evidence to confidently say what he was actually trying to do.

And back to the "masking", are diuretics really the masking agent of choice for all these new untestable PEDs? I don't think so. And, again, when they tested his B sample it was clean of everything illegal except diuretics and that's supposed to be highly unlikely from what I've read.

They are. At least according to the interviews I heard. That is typically what they are used for. Masking other substances.

The NBA makes all rookies attend mandatory transition classes that covers all of that. It’s a paper thin excuse.

Unless his appeal is approved it looks bad. If so? Then maybe he is just dumb.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are. At least according to the interviews I heard. That is typically what they are used for. Masking other substances.

The NBA makes all rookies attend mandatory transition classes that covers all of that. It’s a paper thin excuse.

Unless his appeal is approved it looks bad. If not? Then maybe he is just dumb.

I think he's just dumb enough to panic and take a diuretic to hide the fact he's been smoking pot. But I have never thought he had a real chance to get his suspension altered. And if it turns out that he was taking the newest PED, that won't surprise me either.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's just dumb enough to panic and take a diuretic to hide the fact he's been smoking pot. But I have never thought he had a real chance to get his suspension altered. And if it turns out that he was taking the newest PED, that won't surprise me either.

I could buy that except the NBA does nothing until you test positive 3 times. It doesn’t even go public.

The guess at the end of the day it’s worrisome if he feels he needs to take PEDs. If he is just dumb and took this by accident? Well we have see lots of dumb athletes over the years I guess.

Still hoping for a miracle and a reduced suspension. The team needs him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could buy that except the NBA does nothing until you test positive 3 times. It doesn’t even go public.

The guess at the end of the day it’s worrisome if he feels he needs to take PEDs. If he is just dumb and took this by accident? Well we have see lots of dumb athletes over the years I guess.

Still hoping for a miracle and a reduced suspension. The team needs him.

And what if he's tested positive for pot a couple of times already? Perhaps that's why he tried to hide it.

I've seen it mentioned a few times how he should have just tested positive for pot, like that was the reasoning behind taking the diuretic, since there's no punishment for your first couple of failed tests but we don't know if he's tested positive for pot already. I can't see him or the Suns volunteering that information because it only makes him look bad since he's been in the league for a single year.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what if he's tested positive for pot a couple of times already? Perhaps that's why he tried to hide it.

I've seen it mentioned a few times how he should have just tested positive for pot, like that was the reasoning behind taking the diuretic, since there's no punishment for your first couple of failed tests but we don't know if he's tested positive for pot already. I can't see him or the Suns volunteering that information because it only makes him look bad since he's been in the league for a single year.

That's possible but then you have to question how REALLY dumb he is to test positive twice then use a masking agent to cover it up knowing that he would likely get caught.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's possible but then you have to question how REALLY dumb he is to test positive twice then use a masking agent to cover it up knowing that he would likely get caught.

If he's that dumb then maybe he needed this crack on the knuckles to wise up and stop screwing around. The punishment is severe but maybe so is his arrogance or stupidity. I dont know...its pure speculation what is going on in his head but the punishment is real.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've given up on any hope of his suspension being reduced. I'm sure it was appealed, and whether it was the fast track appeal or not, it would have been heard by now and presumably rejected.

The NBA has never been big on transparency.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's that dumb then maybe he needed this crack on the knuckles to wise up and stop screwing around. The punishment is severe but maybe so is his arrogance or stupidity. I dont know...its pure speculation what is going on in his head but the punishment is real.

I've seen nothing from Ayton to suggest that arrogance is a problem for him. And while I think he did something very stupid, I don't think he's actually stupid either. In many ways he's just very young, far younger than his age IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've given up on any hope of his suspension being reduced. I'm sure it was appealed, and whether it was the fast track appeal or not, it would have been heard by now and presumably rejected.

The NBA has never been big on transparency.

True although I would say it's less true under the Silver regime, he's been fairly forthright especially if you compare him to Stern.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I keep coming back to this thread hoping to get some new news.

This whole thing is really hurting the team. It also shows a lack of maturity. He obviously did something wrong. If not there would be an effort to defend him.

It just confirms the worries many of us had when he talked about making big bucks at the draft instead of playing basketball like everybody else.

I hope this is a wake up call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep coming back to this thread hoping to get some new news.

This whole thing is really hurting the team. It also shows a lack of maturity. He obviously did something wrong. If not there would be an effort to defend him.

It just confirms the worries many of us had when he talked about making big bucks at the draft instead of playing basketball like everybody else.

I hope this is a wake up call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones and Monty probably just want to keep things internal and neutral to the public as much as possible. Jones did step in and say that they were disappointed in his actions, so most likely Ayton is in the wrong.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Over 30% of the season...... Gone. For a guy who needs all of the reps he can get.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Anyway you cut it, we need him out there and for whatever reason he broke the rules and now he suspended.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I've seen nothing from Ayton to suggest that arrogance is a problem for him. And while I think he did something very stupid, I don't think he's actually stupid either. In many ways he's just very young, far younger than his age IMO.
Management plays a role in it, whatever the explanation.

Or at least they should.

With Sarver filling key positions with inexperienced people,
apparently so he can try to be more than the manager of
the investors, he therefore becomes more responsible for
the results of that inexperience.

Such as losing the services of our #1 pick for a long time.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

He needs to mature up. He can't do anything he wants to. He's a centerpiece of the franchise and owes his best to the Suns, his teammates, all the supporters. Kid days are over, time to treat this like it's a priority over anything distracting from it or preventing him being his BEST.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure he feels bad. Let's just hope he's all fired up when he gets back. Good news is the suns arent floundering without him and have a decent shot at the playoffs. He still will have plenty of time to get his groove on before a playoff push.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not expecting a lesser suspension for Ayton although one can always hope. However, I was expecting to hear the results of the appeal. Of course if it is denied maybe it's better not to announce it.
I am wondering if the players union decided not to pursue after getting more facts.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
As a strong Ayton supporter, I do have to admit he has been disappointing in terms of his maturity/mental approach, and he must know that he has hurt the team with this selfish and irresponsible behavior. Hopefully, it's only due to his youth, and he will grow out of it sooner than later.

And the good thing about Doncic's quick start - and the growing popular opinion that the Suns messed up by not taking him instead - is that it should provide lots of motivation for Ayton to step up his game. Or at least one would hope so, if he has any competitive pride and drive, at all. We shall see.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
As a strong Ayton supporter, I do have to admit he has been disappointing in terms of his maturity/mental approach, and he must know that he has hurt the team with this selfish and irresponsible behavior. Hopefully, it's only due to his youth, and he will grow out of it sooner than later.

And the good thing about Doncic's quick start - and the growing popular opinion that the Suns messed up by not taking him instead - is that it should provide lots of motivation for Ayton to step up his game. Or at least one would hope so, if he has any competitive pride and drive, at all. We shall see.

Agreed. I just don't think he is wired that way though. Time will tell.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose