Dear David,

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LOL... I can personally attest to the fact that he still eats beef... ;)

He does now. He went back to eating meat after his wrist injury. The concern is not just that decision but the way he makes his decisions. I am trying to be polite about this but there are two mentions of his wife in this thread now so there should be a common theme here. He is free to do whatever he wants with his life but if he can't get out of his own head because of who he surrounds himself with maybe it's time for him to pick what's most important and enjoy his life how he sees fit instead of half-ass earning his contract.

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
The question remains. If he is healthy, and not overweight…. Why has he completely lost that next gear. He’s never been fast but he looks extremely slow, hesitant, and does nothing to fight for the extra yard.

I know Patrick has the attitude where he would mail it in… But David is getting paid as best in the league and hasn’t complained

Maybe as stated above he’s just soft and doesn’t care

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oddly, his weight seems to come up on a more frequent basis... yet, he is playing at virtually the same weight at which he entered the league.
At the combine, he weighed in at 224lbs. He reportedly entered this season at 226. I attend his Mission 31 Foundation fund raiser each year. The 2019 event was held just last month. I think I'm a pretty solid judge of someone's weight...and honestly, if anything I would say he weighs less then 226. I swear his waist can't be more than a 31 or 32. And I would guess he's wearing a size 42 jacket. He is chiseled for sure... but not in any sort of blown-up/puffed-up/body-builder type of way... He is surprisingly slight when you see him up close.

After his breakout season I thought I read he tacked on about 20 lbs of muscle and after that he looked more plodding. I don't buy the weights that are reported by teams but if weight isn't party of the issue I am significantly more concerned about when his head/heart are at.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
He does now. He went back to eating meat after his wrist injury. The concern is not just that decision but the way he makes his decisions. I am trying to be polite about this but there are two mentions of his wife in this thread now so there should be a common theme here. He is free to do whatever he wants with his life but if he can't get out of his own head because of who he surrounds himself with maybe it's time for him to pick what's most important and enjoy his life how he sees fit instead of half-ass earning his contract.

I won't pretend that I'm personal, close friends with DJ and his wife... however, I have attended his Mission 31 event three times now, AND, I had the amazing experience of winning an auction where he and Meghan had dinner in a private room with me and 6 of my guests, at a high-end steakhouse in Scottsdale. Behind closed door, they spent 3 hours with us and they were fantastic.

I can attest to the fact that Meghan is an extremely prominent figure in ALL of the decisions being made at home... and, with regard to DJ himself - how he eats and exercises, she is also very much involved. She is very passionate about health and, to her credit, she is also incredibly knowledgeable. Yes, she is a vegan. But she doesn't "push" DJ to follow her.

I have zero doubt that he is wrestling with trying to find a way - mentally, where he can be a solid contributor on the field and live up to his contract, while also balancing what that means with also being a very present husband and father. To his credit, he is deeply concerned about "being there' for his wife and kids... which, unfortunately, may also be his downfall as a NFL running back.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
After his breakout season I thought I read he tacked on about 20 lbs of muscle and after that he looked more plodding. I don't buy the weights that are reported by teams but if weight isn't party of the issue I am significantly more concerned about when his head/heart are at.

Then you should be significantly more concerned. I am 5'10" and weigh about 190lbs. My guess is DJ stands at about 6'1" at most... and if you told me he weighs 210lbs, I'd believe it!

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
I hope DJ returns to form. He was dominant a few years ago and we could use a brusing rb

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
His issues are 50% between his ears and 50% centered in his heart/soul. There is nothing else at issue here. The weight room... His size... That's all ridiculous. He simply needs to get his mind right, or not...
At first I think you were going to quote Yogi.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I won't pretend that I'm personal, close friends with DJ and his wife... however, I have attended his Mission 31 event three times now, AND, I had the amazing experience of winning an auction where he and Meghan had dinner in a private room with me and 6 of my guests, at a high-end steakhouse in Scottsdale. Behind closed door, they spent 3 hours with us and they were fantastic.

I can attest to the fact that Meghan is an extremely prominent figure in ALL of the decisions being made at home... and, with regard to DJ himself - how he eats and exercises, she is also very much involved. She is very passionate about health and, to her credit, she is also incredibly knowledgeable. Yes, she is a vegan. But she doesn't "push" DJ to follow her.

I have zero doubt that he is wrestling with trying to find a way - mentally, where he can be a solid contributor on the field and live up to his contract, while also balancing what that means with also being a very present husband and father. To his credit, he is deeply concerned about "being there' for his wife and kids... which, unfortunately, may also be his downfall as a NFL running back.

I feel like it's probably one of those situations whee David is such a giving person that he ends up spreading his energies thin and he hasn't figured out how to get into the zone he needs to be in to be a monster on the field anymore, and if his wife is contributing she has no idea that she is. I really don't want to slam anyone's relationships and that's not my intent - I just know from experience how it can go.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I think this is probably the best way to describe where DJ is at. I don't believe DJ will sign another contract in the NFL. I will not be shocked if he retires at the end of the season. I think he has earned enough money to be comfortable for the rest of his life and is less concerned about any sort of legacy he may have. Physically, I think he could make it work. Mentally and competitively, I think he is washed. He has pride, but the fire is gone.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Wow that's cool that you got to hang out with him and his family. Amazing story, thanks for sharing.

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
DJ is going to have a lot of trouble not being #1.

I read a lot of "move him to WR" comments. David is a tweener. He can't get separation on cornerbacks. His bread and butter has been eating Linebackers alive. When he was a threat to run for big gains on corners or catch on linebackers he was elite. Now he's a runningback that can't run.

DJ is horrible at blocking. Do some google searches, he used to be in Arians dog house about it. Just today Kent Summers notes:
"In the first quarter, Kingsbury played Johnson and Drake together at times, including on first down from the Buccaneers’ 42.

On that play, Johnson moved to the right side at the snap of the ball, apparently trying to draw attention that way. It appears his assignment was to block linebacker Shaquil Barrett.

Drake took the handoff and gained 4 yards. But the gain could have been double that had Johnson decided to either hit, or get in the way of, Barrett.

Johnson didn’t and Barrett made the tackle."
He's not going to do well with Drake on the field or as a "tight end" if he can't or won't block.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I am enjoying David Johnson getting benched. Maybe he will listen to his wife, retire and save the team some money

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

Anybody with a brain have figured that out. Cool experience for you though, I'm jealous.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is done. Sad.. but best of luck to him and his family. It was a good year or so while we had ya. (2016 that is)

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
0..... ZERO touches today. He's toast. Only question is how?

Cutting DJ

By just wasting a roster spot DJ earns $14,250,000 in 2020

Option A: 2020 Pre-6/1 Release

2020 Dead Cap: $16,200,000 ( $-1,950,000 difference)

Option B: 2020 Post-6/1 Release

2020 Dead Cap: $13,200,000 ($3,000,000 difference, but not until June 2)
2021 Dead Cap: $3,000,000

Option C: 2021 Pre-6/1 Release

2021 Dead Cap: $3,000,000 ($9,000,000 difference from his $12,000,000 salary that year)

Trading DJ

Assuming a 2020 trade, the other team would take on this salary:

2020 for other team: $11,250,000 (fully guaranteed now as of 3/15/2019)

2021 for other team: $9,000,000 ($2.1M of 2021 salary fully guarantees on 3/20/2020)

Every year of the contract there are $1.05 million in roster bonuses tied to being active, and some potential incentives

Option D: Pre-6/1 Trade

2020 Dead Cap: $6,000,000 (A $8,250,000 difference)

Option E: Post-6/1 Trade
2020 Dead Cap: $3,000,000 ($11,250,000 difference, but not until June 2)

Sooooooo….. being the other team gets royally screwed the cards will have to pull a Leonard Williams and include money in the trade to be rid of DJ. This will significantly impact any savings as that is instant dead money. If DJ continues to suck, you may even have to include a pick to get rid of him.

It's not impossible, but will hurt no matter what. Basically your just trying to contain the damage Kiem did. You will not come up on this, just simply try to avoid a full 16 mil hit.

Last edited:

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

Cutting DJ

2020 Pre-6/1 Release

2020 Post-6/1 Release

2021 Pre-6/1 Release

2021 Dead Cap: $3,000,000 ($9,000,000 difference from his $12,000,000 salary that year)

Trading DJ

2021 for other team: $9,000,000 ($2.1M of 2021 salary fully guarantees on 3/20/2020)

Every year of the contract there are $1.05 million in roster bonuses tied to being active, and some potential incentives

Pre-6/1 Trade

Post-6/1 Trade

Sooooooo….. being the other team gets royally screwed the cards will have to pull a Leonard Williams and include money in the trade to be rid of DJ. This will significantly impact any savings as that is instant dead money. If DJ continues to suck, you may even have to include a pick to get rid of him.

It's not impossible, but will hurt no matter what. Basically your just trying to contain the damage Kiem did. You will not come up on this, just simply try to avoid a full 16 mil hit.

Mitigate the damage and do the right thing. Kliff Kingsbury seems to be very difficult to upset but David Johnson has given the road map of how to get in the doghouse of one of the most player-friendly coaches in recent-years. David Johnson loafed with the football last week and literally jogged behind the horizontally. He could get someone hurt going half speed like that. Get rid of him

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Cutting DJ

2020 Pre-6/1 Release

2020 Post-6/1 Release

2021 Pre-6/1 Release

Trading DJ

Pre-6/1 Trade

Post-6/1 Trade

Cards are gonna have to package a pick or 2 in any trade...like a 2 and a 5. Kinda like Houston did with ASU QB to the Browns.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
Cards are gonna have to package a pick or 2 in any trade...like a 2 and a 5. Kinda like Houston did with ASU QB to the Browns.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If the other team has to eat all 2 years 20 Mil, I can't see otherwise. Perhaps the cards can eat some of the money they give up less. Ugly no matter what. No matter what you are losing cap, picks, or both.

Considering they have 30+ freed up next year, maybe they should just eat the whole thing.