Nets @ Suns Sunday game thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was adamant at the beginning of the season that we should not put Book and Jerome on the floor together with their porous D. Now?...

I'm not sure where Monty hides that magic wand of his, but I hope it's in an impenetrable fortress. How in the world is he getting a bunch of poor defensive players that can shoot to ACTUALLY play great D?

Book is playing great D.
Frank is playing D.
Dario is playing D.
Cam is playing D.
Kelly is playing D.

I would venture to guess that Jerome will play D too.

By all means Monty, play Jerome, Book, Kelly, Dario, and Frank at the same time. I'm firmly in the Monty for CoY camp.

Somebody pinch me.
OK. If he can consistently get the same kind of D out of Ayton that he is getting out of the other players--well then he is a miracle-worker. THAT will not just be franchise changing, but league changing. Ayton's potential is that big.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. If he can consistently get the same kind of D out of Ayton that he is getting out of the other players--well then he is a miracle-worker. THAT will not just be franchise changing, but league changing. Ayton's potential is that big.
Funny how certain things can be a blessing in disguise. Not only should this light a bigger fire under aytons butt..it allowed other guys to flourish and mesh while he was gone. Now he has to fit in and not the other way around. I don't think monty will have it any other way regardless. Just like he did with TJ last night.. aytons head will need to be in the right place for him to earn his minutes back imo

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I can't wait for Ayton to get back. I am imagining a second unit of shooters around the Rubio/ Ayton pick and rolls. Throw TJ and CJ out there, along with Bridges (hoping he finds his shot again) to wait for wide open threes while Rubio and Ayton run a pick and roll. This team could be scary when the second unit can produce something while Booker, Oubre, and Baynes are on the bench.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Although I would like to see as many Suns as possible participating
in the All Star activity, I hope that Baines chooses not too.

The routine of training for, and performing in, the 3-point contest
has drained many players and ruined the rest of their seasons.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Would you guys say Baynes is an all star candidate if he continues playing like this?
No, because he will probably be returned to backup when Ayton returns.

If Baynes continues starting, but at Power Forward, you never know.

Still, the odds are against it.

As long as he is one of our top most valuable players.

'Sorry, mjb, for converting your post to being grammatically correct.

You can post it however you like. But, as part of my post, I choose
the way we learned it in school. :)

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I watched the end of the Lakers broadcast last night and the play-by-play guy was mentioning their back-to-back on Tuesday and Wednesday. He said "Both should be a win" (Phoenix and GS) without even thinking about it. The other guy walked it back pretty quickly saying something along the lines of "With the way Phoenix is playing, nothing is going to be easy". It actually hurt a little that the guy dismissed the Suns so cavalierly.
Let's make that b/b very hard on LA.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ty will help on offense, but not so much on defense. I would think the choice will be based upon matchups.

I think it's too early to write Ty Jerome off on defense. A lot substitutions are based upon match-ups.

My guess is he will play good team defense. His ability to play point guard (make assists), height and shooting will be assets to get playing time. Of course it may take him awhile for him to get up to speed.

I was hoping the Suns would figure out a way to draft Ty because he was on my radar pre-draft if the Suns could secure a later first round pick. I think trading the Bucks pick for Baynes and Ty (24) was quite a coup.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I can't wait for Ayton to get back. I am imagining a second unit of shooters around the Rubio/ Ayton pick and rolls. Throw TJ and CJ out there, along with Bridges (hoping he finds his shot again) to wait for wide open threes while Rubio and Ayton run a pick and roll. This team could be scary when the second unit can produce something while Booker, Oubre, and Baynes are on the bench.
Like to see how that unit would operate. No doubt they could score on most any other 2nd unit out there. Miami's was impressive. Best I've seen this season. Waiting for that rematch.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
9 games into the season and Book is still shooting 50-50-90.

To put it in perspective.

Informally, the 50–40–90 club is the group of National Basketball Association (NBA) and Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) players who have had a shooting percentage at or above 50% for field goals, 40% for three-pointers, and 90% for free throws during an entire regular season while also achieving the WNBA/NBA minimum number of makes in each category (300 field goals, 82 three-pointers, and 125 free throws).[1][2] A total of nine players have had 50–40–90 seasons. The WNBA saw its first 50–40–90 season in 2019.[3]

50–40–90 indicates a great all-around shooting performance and is considered the ultimate standard for shooters.[4] Only Steve Nash (four times) and Larry Bird (twice) have had repeat 50–40–90 seasons. Nash's lifetime 49–43–90 regular season average is the closest anyone has come to achieving a career 50–40–90 mark.[5] Nash's lifetime 47–40–90 playoff average is the closest anyone has come to achieving a career 50–40–90 mark in the playoffs.[6] Dirk Nowitzki is the only member that falls short of the updated minimum requirement for three-point makes implemented since 2013, finishing with 72 threes in 2007.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50–40–90_club
Pardon me for quoting myself, but I just saw this.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Pardon me for quoting myself, but I just saw this.

Cool to see that this is actually something that is pretty rare and something he has good company in.

He really is off to an amazing start and hopefully he can keep it going.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Cool to see that this is actually something that is pretty rare and something he has good company in.

He really is off to an amazing start and hopefully he can keep it going.

He should, barring injuries, as long as he doesn't have to force things like last season.

As EJ points out regularly, Book is shooting less and scoring more.

And his skillful assists are now luxuries rather than necessities.

Add to that replacing the tedious chore of bringing the ball up and being the only
facilitator, he has been able to use that newfound energy and improve his defense.

Oh, how we have longed for this moment. As I'm sure he has. Christmas has come
early. :)