OT: Yea Jordan was the best and this seals it lol

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I remember stories of him playing golf in Vegas between days off in the finals in Salt Lake City. He’s very lucky he didn’t play in the age of social media and camera phones.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There are tales of Wilt Chamberlain, several ladies, booze, marijauna, and then doing way more 50 point games than Jordan ever did!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are tales of Wilt Chamberlain, several ladies, booze, marijauna, and then doing way more 50 point games than Jordan ever did!

Yeah... but he also lost a lot more than Jordan did.

Jordan's vices were part of what made him great. He stayed up all night gambling and played golf because he was a competitor, he wanted to beat people at everything. Wilt was immensely talented... but his vices were just plain vices, beating people was not his top priority.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wait, did JR just throw down on the record that not only did Jordan bet on a basketball game he played drunk, in but also that JR had a "bookie" while he was an active player? lol

Snitches get Stitches JR!!!!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jordan really is not a good human being.

But he is the best player to have ever lived - and I don't think it's that close.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Jordan really is not a good human being.

But he is the best player to have ever lived - and I don't think it's that close.
Most of the time, it takes an outrageous personality to rise to the top.

Or one who rises to the top develops an outrageous personality.

Not always. There are many exceptions.

But fame and a driven personality seem to go hand-in-hand.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wilt Chamberlain was drafted by the Chiefs as a tight end. He ran a 4.4 forty. Arnold said that Wilt did 170# tricep extensions. He benched 500 pounds, and 450 pounds when he was 59 years old No one will ever dominate specific seasons like Wilt did.

Stamina? In 1962 he sat out for 8 minutes--of the entire season.

Just sayin.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nevermind. Just let Wilt make his own case.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad, he couldn't make a free throw.

He was a horrible free throw shooter but to be fair, Paul Pierce, for example, only made 900 more foul shots than Wilt did and Paul played in 300 more games. And Shaq made even fewer than Wilt did. Plus when Wilt played he was protected somewhat from intentional fouling because the league penalized intentional fouls back then not to mention the 3 to make 2 and 2 to make 1 rules which were in force during his career.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wilt Chamberlain was drafted by the Chiefs as a tight end. He ran a 4.4 forty. Arnold said that Wilt did 170# tricep extensions. He benched 500 pounds, and 450 pounds when he was 59 years old No one will ever dominate specific seasons like Wilt did.

Stamina? In 1962 he sat out for 8 minutes--of the entire season.

Just sayin.

I can't find it but there was a story about Wilt showing up at UCLA one offseason wanting to run with the guys. They for ages had these famous runs on campus where college and HS kids would play against NBA legends, magic played regularly, often ran the games. Wilt was in his 50's and people laughed and told him you're too old you can't play. So he got on the court and then dunked something like 5 straight times down, I forget who but the other team had a couple of current NBA bigs on the court at the time and people there insisted Wilt was just toying with them.

The other freak was Bill Russell. When he was coaching in Seattle he got fed up with his players so he went out on the court stood at the foul line and challenged the whole team to come at him one at a time and score on him. They'd drive in and he'd swat their shot, they'd pull up he'd block it, just over and over none of them could even get a shot off let alone score.

I know it's also probably hype but with those 2 I'm tempted to believe much of it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I remember when Wilt was playing in a professional volley ball league that visited Phoenix. Jerry C. was there, and visited with Wilt afterward. Wilt had not been retired that long from the Lakers. The Suns had very good players at every position but were missing a center. Jerry C. talked Wilt into playing for the Suns. I believe there was even an article in the AZ Republic about it, which is how I knew about it. When Wilt retired, there was one year left on his contract. Of course the Lakers stepped in, who had Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and said if Wilt played for anyone, it had to be the Lakers, period. No trades, nada. Wilt retired because he didn't want to split time with Jabbar, and the Lakers knew that. Thus ended the great Wilt to Phoenix era!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I remember when Wilt was playing in a professional volley ball league that visited Phoenix. Jerry C. was there, and visited with Wilt afterward. Wilt had not been retired that long from the Lakers. The Suns had very good players at every position but were missing a center. Jerry C. talked Wilt into playing for the Suns. I believe there was even an article in the AZ Republic about it, which is how I knew about it. When Wilt retired, there was one year left on his contract. Of course the Lakers stepped in, who had Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and said if Wilt played for anyone, it had to be the Lakers, period. No trades, nada. Wilt retired because he didn't want to split time with Jabbar, and the Lakers knew that. Thus ended the great Wilt to Phoenix era!
That would have been something. And would have increased attendance.

It also, of course, would have increased the revenue of every ********** in Phoenix. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave