James Dean’s “Casting” in an Upcoming Vietnam War Movie Is Probably Only the Beginning

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Dean’s “Casting” in an Upcoming Vietnam War Movie Is Probably Only the Beginning

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/11/james-dean-cgi-movie

Welcome to our uncanny future. Ever since Disney digitally resurrected actor Peter Cushing for Rogue One, it’s only seemed like a matter of time before studios found other ways to bring dead actors into new movies. Now, the latest star set to get the weird CGI treatment is...James Dean, apparently. The actor, who died in 1955 after rising to fame in three films but has had a long-lasting cultural legacy, has been “cast” in the upcoming Vietnam War drama Finding Jack, a choice that is definitely not weird or cursed!

Dean’s family gave its blessing to the “casting” choice, giving the rights to the actor’s likeness to independent production company Magic City Films. Dean’s performance will be digitally rendered by companies Imagine Engine and South African VFX company MOI Worldwide.

Finding Jack is based on the novel of the same name by Gareth Crocker, and revolves around a Vietnam War soldier who refuses to abandon the canine unit left behind during the war. Dean will play Rogan, the secondary lead.

“We searched high and low for the perfect character to portray the role of Rogan, which has some extreme complex character arcs, and after months of research, we decided on James Dean,” codirector Anton Ernst said in a press release. “We feel very honored that his family supports us and will take every precaution to ensure that his legacy as one of the most epic film stars to date is kept firmly intact.”

As any Dean fan knows, the actor only starred in three movies over the course of his life, before dying in a car crash at the age of 24. In the release, Ernst said the family views Finding Jack “as his fourth movie, a movie he never got to make. We do not intend to let his fans down.”

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is... weird. And totally unnecessary.

I can see using his likeness as a character in an animated film, but in live action? That's a dangerous game. Especially if the effect looks bad. The Peter Cushing stuff in Rogue One was good, but not great.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
weird.

Let's not give the job to living people who need to make money or anything

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is... weird. And totally unnecessary.

I can see using his likeness as a character in an animated film, but in live action? That's a dangerous game. Especially if the effect looks bad. The Peter Cushing stuff in Rogue One was good, but not great.

Carrie Fisher's cgi character was gawd-awful. IMHO.....

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using technology to bring a dead actor back to life is not surprising at all with what was done to Paul Walker's character in the Fast and the Furious series, holograms of dead singers in concerts, etc. The choice is very curious though.

Think of the field of deceased actors you could choose from and you choose a guy who made three films? SMH

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using technology to bring a dead actor back to life is not surprising at all with what was done to Paul Walker's character in the Fast and the Furious series, holograms of dead singers in concerts, etc. The choice is very curious though.

Think of the field of deceased actors you could choose from and you choose a guy who made three films? SMH

There is a big difference between spot role/finishing a film (like Carrie Fisher) in a role they were iconic in versus creating a whole new character/actor.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Obviously he’s perfect because he died long before the Vietnam War began.

#Doublethink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Evans, Elijah Wood and More Criticize James Dean CGI Casting: "This Shouldn't Be a Thing"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...i-casting-this-shouldnt-be-a-thing/ar-AAJYey9

James Dean has been cast in a Vietnam War-era action-drama 64 years after his death, creating a social media uproar with those in the industry finding the casting "shameful" and setting "an awful precedent" for the future of film and visual effects.

Magic City Films announced Wednesday that the late Rebel Without a Cause star, who died in a car crash in 1955 at the age of 24, would take the secondary lead role in their upcoming film Finding Jack.

The movie, adapted by Maria Sova from Gareth Crocker’s novel, focuses on the abandonment of more than 10,000 military dogs at the end of the Vietnam War. Dean, who died just before the start of the war, would be portraying a character named Rogan.

Despite directors Anton Ernst and Tati Golykh obtaining the rights to use the actor's image from his family, reactions to the casting have been overwhelmingly negative.

"I have talked to friends about this for YEARS and no one ever believed me that the industry would stoop this low once tech got better," tweeted Zelda Williams, whose late father Robin Williams restricted exploitation of his image for 25 years following his death. "Publicity stunt or not, this is puppeteering the dead for their 'clout' alone and it sets such an awful precedent for the future of performance."

"This is awful," Knives Out star Chris Evans wrote on Twitter. "Maybe we can get a computer to paint us a new Picasso. Or write a couple new John Lennon tunes. The complete lack of understanding here is shameful."

Elijah Wood echoed Evans' criticism, tweeting, "NOPE. this shouldn't be a thing."

Michelle Buchman, who runs social media for Star Wars, was one of several on social media who blasted the notion an actor who looked like James Dean could not be found and cast.

"There is literally a James Dean Festival held every year in Indiana where they have a look-alike contest so like if you really needed someone it's not that hard to find them," posted Buchman, referring to Fairmount, Indiana's annual festival dedicated to the late actor.

Devon Sawa, who auditioned for another role in Finding Jack, also commented on the casting of a deceased actor, tweeting, "They couldn't give this role to an actual human?"

Dean starred in three movies, 1955's Rebel Without a Cause and East of Eden and 1956's Giant, receiving best acting Oscar nominations for the latter two. He died before he could finish filming Giant.

Preproduction on Finding Jack is set to begin Nov. 17, with a goal for a worldwide release on Veterans' Day 2020.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"This is awful," Knives Out star Chris Evans wrote on Twitter. "Maybe we can get a computer to paint us a new Picasso. Or write a couple new John Lennon tunes. The complete lack of understanding here is shameful."

8/8

(Except as DBJ notes above)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

8/8

(Except as DBJ notes above)
Hey Chris, pretty sure there are computers that can paint a Picasso and write a Lennon tune. This is the reality in which we live today. I get it, no one likes the prospects of automation taking over their craft or jobs. But millions worldwide are learning that reality. And some may cry “BUT ART . . . !” And the true reality is, if it stinks it won’t fly, if it’s good or people like it, it will. These are just the technology driven times we live in.

as an attorney I worried about online legal services. I worried about algorithmic legal resources. But railing against them does no good. They growing in capability. I can’t stop it (I mean as a global society technology is pushed forward at brakeneck speed, damned the thinking about consequences). So I have to adapt work within that framework best I can. Failure to do so leaves you as an anachronistic relic.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Btw. That not me supporting this. I still think this is creepy. And I doubt it will really take off unless they can build AI that can somehow actually effectively replicate an actors individual ability to interpret a character or scenes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Btw. That not me supporting this. I still think this is creepy. And I doubt it will really take off unless they can build AI that can somehow actually effectively replicate an actors individual ability to interpret a character or scenes.
I was going to say--sounded like you are coming from a strictly non-creative perspective--and I'm not sure that is a good argument taken in context.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was going to say--sounded like you are coming from a strictly non-creative perspective--and I'm not sure that is a good argument taken in context.
It’s unfortunately coming from a realists perspective. If people will be entertained by that and it’s cheaper than paying actual people that’s what’s going to evolve.

you would think people would want flesh and blood advising them about something as important and emotional as their money, but a subset just want quick, anonymous, and cheap tech to do that. Do I think relying on that is unwise (for many reasons)? Of course. But am I realistic enough to recognize that it’s going to be hat some people want and our business is best to adapt to it? Yup. People that choose to make a living in fields of creativity often (imo) fail to recognize business practicalities or realism, or do so too late. If the tech is here, Sonia the very real possibility of this growing. It is what it is.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s unfortunately coming from a realists perspective. If people will be entertained by that and it’s cheaper than paying actual people that’s what’s going to evolve.

you would think people would want flesh and blood advising them about something as important and emotional as their money, but a subset just want quick, anonymous, and cheap tech to do that. Do I think relying on that is unwise (for many reasons)? Of course. But am I realistic enough to recognize that it’s going to be hat some people want and our business is best to adapt to it? Yup. People that choose to make a living in fields of creativity often (imo) fail to recognize business practicalities or realism, or do so too late. If the tech is here, Sonia the very real possibility of this growing. It is what it is.

We are seeing this in accounting - rote work automated (duh, I can do with a software program what it used to take a half-dozen accountants to do), plus what work not automated can be done in India, etc.

But high-level planning, interpreting, decision making - not there yet.

In the legal field, simple wills, etc can be automated. But complex decisions/research - AI can help, but a long ways from replacing that decision making