Josh Jackson update

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I guess he is in the G league with Grizz who the Suns play tomorrow. They decided yesterday not to pickup his 8.9m player option so he will be a FA after this season.

i dont think this guy will ever have a role in the league mostly for three reasons:

1. His basketball IQ is 0/100
2. He thinks hes Kobe and he needs to emulate a shawn marion type instead
3. His work ethic is probably not there but he should be humbled a little now

lets all have a moment of silence and thank Josh for leaving and not subjecting our eyes to that horrid basketball any longer.

thats all.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could’ve sworn he tried a 720 layup for Atlanta last night..

Interesting comparison. I wasn't very impressed by him at Duke but I gave a little credence to the speculation that he had to play a different game because of Barrett and Zion.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably the most wrong I have ever been about a pick. Thought he was the best player in that draft, but that was obviously a long way off.
Yeah. Me too on that one. I think the sad thing is that he could have been the best player in that draft. There is no substitute for shooting for a wing in today’s NBA. That’s not the only issue but it’s a major one.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto. I laughed at Boston taking Tatum over JJ. Whoops.

There were 2 players talked about as potential top 5 picks that I wanted no part of, Josh and Fultz. I liked Ball a lot and thought he'd be great but I took him off my wish list because of his father. As most here know, if I'd been picking, we'd have Markkanen but knowing we weren't taking him, I was hoping Tatum would be there for us. But as bad as Jackson was, I think I'd be even more depressed if we had taken Tatum and had to pay him as the star he'll likely never become.

And the funny thing on Josh was, despite not liking his game at Kansas, I actually became a huge supporter of his that first offseason so I can easily understand how we made that mistake. I'm still struggling to understand why we took Len, Chriss or Bender. At the time, I wasn't against or for Bender but I did assume (mistakenly, obviously) that the front office had real intel on him and his game. Len was a horrible pick in a horrible draft so we get a little bit of a pass there. Chriss was just proof that our decision makers were scouting via highlight reels.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were 2 players talked about as potential top 5 picks that I wanted no part of, Josh and Fultz. I liked Ball a lot and thought he'd be great but I took him off my wish list because of his father. As most here know, if I'd been picking, we'd have Markkanen but knowing we weren't taking him, I was hoping Tatum would be there for us. But as bad as Jackson was, I think I'd be even more depressed if we had taken Tatum and had to pay him as the star he'll likely never become.

And the funny thing on Josh was, despite not liking his game at Kansas, I actually became a huge supporter of his that first offseason so I can easily understand how we made that mistake. I'm still struggling to understand why we took Len, Chriss or Bender. At the time, I wasn't against or for Bender but I did assume (mistakenly, obviously) that the front office had real intel on him and his game. Len was a horrible pick in a horrible draft so we get a little bit of a pass there. Chriss was just proof that our decision makers were scouting via highlight reels.

This is what happened with the player I wanted, De'Aaron Fox. It became apparent before the draft the Suns were not going to draft him. I tried to like Jackson. The difference between the two was the Suns needed a point guard. Although Fox was not a great shooter, he would always be able to get to the rim and create. Markkanen would have been a great pick as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I liked Tatum more....because he had real, definable skills instead of "amazing athlete who sucks at shooting".
You were right. It’ll be interesting to see how he advances. His numbers are up but his 3 point shooting (18/37) likely isn’t sustainable and he’s shooting sub .400 from 2 this season.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I was really high on Jackson. I still maintain that he has what it takes to be a very good NBA player, but he is just not all there mentally. Perhaps he'll figure it out in a couple of years?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked Tatum more....because he had real, definable skills instead of "amazing athlete who sucks at shooting".

Shooting is one of the reasons I'm keeping my eye on RJ Barrett of the Knicks. Thus far his shot has been fine but I thought this could give him trouble. He is a tremendous athlete otherwise.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was really high on Jackson. I still maintain that he has what it takes to be a very good NBA player, but he is just not all there mentally. Perhaps he'll figure it out in a couple of years?
Physically I think there’s no doubt. But if the brain and skills never catch up to the physical abilities it’s a never-gonna-happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think Josh Jackson is a taller version of Archie Goodwin. I kept waiting for Archie but it never happened.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sometimes I think Josh Jackson is a taller version of Archie Goodwin. I kept waiting for Archie but it never happened.

I’ve been calling him Archie Goodwin for a year plus. People we’re drunk on his athleticism thinking it would translate to upside.

I was pretty adamant against dumping Melton to get rid of him but so far it looks like Jones knew what he was doing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been calling him Archie Goodwin for a year plus. People we’re drunk on his athleticism thinking it would translate to upside.

I was pretty adamant against dumping Melton to get rid of him but so far it looks like Jones knew what he was doing.

And you were right! :cool:

Melton may yet be a good player.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
So far the Carter for Melton swap seems to be a steal for us. Melton hasn't played much for the Grizz.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And you were right! :cool:

Melton may yet be a good player.

Jackson was also a year and a half older than Goodwin their respective freshman seasons. Archie was 18 when drafted while JJ was 20 and played on an experienced team with Frank Mason, Devonte Graham and Svi Mykhailiuk... Goodwin was on a bad team full of freshman. He would’ve blown up into a top-10 pick had he gone back to UK so I don’t blame McD for taking a shot on him.

What you couldn’t project was how big a knucklehead JJ would be.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackson was also a year and a half older than Goodwin their respective freshman seasons. Archie was 18 when drafted while JJ was 20 and played on an experienced team with Frank Mason, Devonte Graham and Svi Mykhailiuk... Goodwin was on a bad team full of freshman. He would’ve blown up into a top-10 pick had he gone back to UK so I don’t blame McD for taking a shot on him.

What you couldn’t project was how big a knucklehead JJ would be.

Archie was drafted where he should have gone (29). Can't fault the Suns on that.

Wish we could go back in a time machine and and trade down from #5 (Len) and draft Giannis (15) and Gobert (27).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is why all the handwringing about drafting a guy way ahead of where all the media types slot him is unfounded. That get it wrong a lot.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The draft is always guesswork and I don't think anyone who had Jackson rated above Tatum should be embarrassed. What I found absurd on this board was the narrative that the Suns had outsmarted Danny Ainge and hid Jackson from him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The draft is always guesswork and I don't think anyone who had Jackson rated above Tatum should be embarrassed. What I found absurd on this board was the narrative that the Suns had outsmarted Danny Ainge and hid Jackson from him.
In the end McD outsmarted himself because if we do allow JJ to work out with the Celtics maybe they really like what they see and they decide to draft him and we get "stuck" with either Tatum or Fox.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
God I was so hyped when Jackson “slid” to us at 4. A lot of guys were. What a waste

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Did that rumour originate here? I thought it was from a real life source or an article in the newspaper.

I liked Fox a lot but I thought Jackson could be the Pippen to Booker's Jordan. I was against picking Ball but I was okay with Jackson. Looks like the new scouts/FO values NBA skills and experience (based on one draft, doh) -- which is good news.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose