Deandre Ayton facing 25 game suspension

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little embarrassed just to explain it, it was admittedly lame. (I live on the second floor/I live upstairs from you/yes I think you've seen me before)

And speaking of "another cup of coffee", it's probably my favorite song from Mike and the Mechanics.

I need to load some Mike & The Mechanics.

Words from another favorite song...

"And I've been waiting in the weeds
Waiting for my time to come around again and
Hope is floating on the breeze"

by the Eagles

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How many games are we into the season? It's far too early to say his numbers are the reason the Mavs are winning when the numbers are comparable to last year when they weren't. The same could be said of Booker, whose numbers also look really close to last years. His numbers don't tell the whole story, not even close.

Yes, the Mavericks have a 3-1 record right now but until everyone has played at least a dozen games then it's far too early to start saying that statistically this who people or teams are. Averages right now don't tell you much of what to expect from a player because 1 hot game could skew things dramatically. We'll see if they're able to sustain their early season success and his numbers stay where they're at in December or January. We're not even out of October yet and the season started 2 weeks ago.
I’m sorry, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!? The Mavs won NINE MORE GAMES due to his numbers last year. Your argument is let’s ignore this year because it’s a small data set and ignore last year for no reason other than to ignore it? Lol. Like I said, I’m living in a different world- where reality matters -than you seem to be in regards to doncic’s impact. Just bizarro nutso . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Back to what this thread is actually about...

Duane Rankin wrote a piece about Ayton and the Suns yesterday. Here's the link and some of it...

I'm glad Ayton has not only been working with the team right now but that he's traveling with them also.

I'd much rather him be with the team as much as possible right now but I wonder if he's allowed to play with the NAZ Suns during his suspension. That isn't something that's important right now but towards the end of his suspension if he played a couple of games there to try and get back in game shape would help his return to the main roster. I don't believe it's something that can happen but I'll see if I can find a definitive answer on that.
Best part of that article is Kerr saying we played great defense. When coaches start talking up our defense we will start gaining the reputation that will lead to better calls from officials.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luka is bigger and a better athlete and a much better ball handler and rebounder.

Comparisons are never perfect. Chris Mullin was a player that came to mind. He was a very good player.

For the fun of it, I plugged both players into the Comparison Player Finder at Basketball Reference to see how close they were.

Of course there is a huge disparity in games played. One would think Doncic would continue to improve. He has a distinct advantage in rebounding and assists as you mention.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Chris+Mullin&player_id1_select=Chris+Mullin&player_id1=mullich01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Luka+Dončić&player_id2_select=Luka+Dončić&player_id2=doncilu01&idx=players

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Comparisons are never perfect. Chris Mullin was a player that came to mind. He was a very good player.

For the fun of it, I plugged both players into the Comparison Player Finder at Basketball Reference to see how close they were.

Of course there is a huge disparity in games played. One would think Doncic would continue to improve. He has a distinct advantage in rebounding and assists as you mention.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Chris+Mullin&player_id1_select=Chris+Mullin&player_id1=mullich01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Luka+Dončić&player_id2_select=Luka+Dončić&player_id2=doncilu01&idx=players
That’s a pretty cool tool. Never seen it before. Thanks for likely causing me mUch more time procrastinating at work!!!

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OK I have not found anything stating when this process is suppose to be spend up too. but Wednesdays game showed Ayton did not play due to coaches decision, in the box score. when in previous it showed as being suspended. anyone heard anything?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I have not found anything stating when this process is suppose to be spend up too. but Wednesdays game showed Ayton did not play due to coaches decision, in the box score. when in previous it showed as being suspended. anyone heard anything?

Nothing new on my end.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I guess Monty decided to not play him because he was suspended. :)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa!

Since we were talking about Doncic I will put it here. Watching Mavericks versus the Lakers tonight.

Doncic is so much better this season I can't believe it. This kid is a going to be elite. He already dominates like few players can. He is so aggressive... an alpha player... awesome passer.... he runs that team at 20.

Huge upside.

Knicks essentially gave the Mavericks Porzingis. smh

BTW, Lakers win tonight in overtime.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa!

Since we were talking about Doncic I will put it here. Watching Mavericks versus the Lakers tonight.

Doncic is so much better this season I can't believe it. This kid is a going to be elite. He already dominates like few players can. He is so aggressive... an alpha player... awesome passer.... he runs that team at 20.

Huge upside.

Knicks essentially gave the Mavericks Porzingis. smh

BTW, Lakers win tonight in overtime.

Doncic was quite impressive although his late game decision to flop when Lebron's elbow brushed his chin probably sealed their fate (since his teammates gathered around him instead of playing on). I'm sure that reaction by his squad was due in large part to the hit he'd already taken to the back of his head. That said, even with Lebron and Davis on the court, Luka looked like one of the two best players in this game. He's not elite as a shooter or a defender but he's fantastic at most everything else. And even though he's not a great shooter, he's already shown that he rises in the big moments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doncic was quite impressive although his late game decision to flop when Lebron's elbow brushed his chin probably sealed their fate. Still, even with Lebron and Davis on the court, Luka looked like one of the two best players in this game. He's not elite as a shooter or a defender but he's pretty much fantastic at most everything else. And even though he's not a great shooter, he's already shown that he rises in the big moments.

Isn't that amazing.

Anthony Davis was playing excellent but my eyes were glued on the slugfest between Doncic and Lebron. Doncic rises to the occasion even if he did not win tonight.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Isn't that amazing.

Anthony Davis was playing excellent but my eyes were glued on the slugfest between Doncic and Lebron. Doncic rises to the occasion even if he did not win tonight.
That's because defense for the most part isn't sexy. Though including defense it would be nearly impossible to argue that LeBron and Davis weren't the two best players on the court.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Luka can play. It's crazy that he is only in his second year and not even old enough to drink. It's scary how good that kid is.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Luka can play. It's crazy that he is only in his second year and not even old enough to drink. It's scary how good that kid is.

yep. Still, i dont have many regrets as hindsight 20/20 and based on known information at the time and Suns not being in a situation to risk, they did the right the thing with Ayton. I have to tell myself that every time watching Luka play

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m sorry, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!? The Mavs won NINE MORE GAMES due to his numbers last year. Your argument is let’s ignore this year because it’s a small data set and ignore last year for no reason other than to ignore it? Lol. Like I said, I’m living in a different world- where reality matters -than you seem to be in regards to doncic’s impact. Just bizarro nutso . . .

I already went over this. Last year wasn't all Luka. He had a lot of help and once the team was stripped and all of his help was traded away (Barnes, Jordan, Matthews, and others) his numbers looked about the same and they quit winning almost right then. Raindog made a really good post about the help he had last season and how much he effected their record himself. He was not the only person responsible for their winning 9 more games than they did the year prior. They were 25-28 when everyone was traded away. Without that help they went 8-21, which isn't an improvement on their prior season when you're talking about winning percentage.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doncic has been good, no doubt, and better than I admittedly expected - I thought he would at least start out as okay, but unremarkable otherwise. But the hyperbole some of you are attaching to him is pretty absurd at this point. Any projections about his future impact are nothing more than idle speculation right now - just as they are for Ayton or anyone else from last year's draft.

Just to clarify some realities about him allegedly singlehandedly improving the Mavs last year, much of the improvement in their record came before they gutted the team in the Porzingis deal. They were 23-28 before dealing off Smith/Jordan/Matthews/Barnes, and 10-21 after the fire sale that pretty much left Doncic as the only useful player. And not coincidentally, Doncic's stats jumped quite a bit after that point - not surprisingly, since they were pretty much running the entire offense through him as the only viable option from then to the end of the season.

Additionally, the whole alleged improvement of the Mavs last season is also a matter of speculation as the 24 win season of 2017-18 has pretty much been universally recognized as a product of tanking that season to get a higher pick in that 2018 lottery - something that many teams (including the Suns) were actively doing that year, as many will recall. The Mavs had won 33 games the prior season with essentially the same core - likely indicating that their "big" 9 game improvement was more likely just a return to their normative status.

Doncic probably stands a reasonable chance of being an all-star type somewhere along the road in his career, assuming he stays the course and other factors don't interfere. Postulating him as some kind of all time great, HOFer, equaling or surpassing the games legends - at this point, is plain silly. Just as it would be with Ayton, Young or anyone else who is one season into their career at this point. For all we know, Ayton or Young (or even someone else) might end up eventually being the prize from this draft when all is said and done... or there is an even better chance that none of them end up amounting to anything all that historically memorable, as is generally what happens with the vast majority of NBA players, even when they get off to auspicious starts.

And I would still take Ayton over Doncic just based on the fact that if Ayton reaches the peak of his potential (a very BIG if, right now), he should easily surpass Doncic as an effective force. Granted, Doncic is light years ahead of Ayton on a mental scale right now, and that is a big part of achieving one's potential. But that is probably attributable to Doncic having played in a professional setting for years before he entered the league, and just the overall culture for young athletes in Europe vs. in the U.S..

I agree with everything you wrote here except the record. The last game that Barnes played with them was February 6th game against the Hornets. They were 25-28 when he was dealt. Here's a link to the box score for that game, it lists their record as well at the top. Just wanted to include that in case anyone questions it. So they were just a little better than you said.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has there been any mention that the players association is going to try and get the suspension reduced?

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder if there was any way we could have kept booker and the #1, but packaged every other asset we had to get #2 and draft both Ayton and Doncic? Would have been risky obviously. I feel like Josh actually still had value at that point. Him with multiple 1sts that we still had, future picks...who knows, but think of having a big three of Doncic, Booker and Ayton the next 10+ years.

edit: although if this scenario happens maybe Igor is still here...maybe not worth it haha

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there was any way we could have kept booker and the #1, but packaged every other asset we had to get #2 and draft both Ayton and Doncic? Would have been risky obviously. I feel like Josh actually still had value at that point. Him with multiple 1sts that we still had, future picks...who knows, but think of having a big three of Doncic, Booker and Ayton the next 10+ years.

At the time I was pushing for a similar scenario but mine involved Trae instead of Luka. It would have been a very entertaining trio to watch but good defense probably wouldn't have been in our future If I'd had my way. We somehow have latched onto a well balanced roster capable of scoring and defending so I don't feel too badly when I look back at our recent draft failures.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's because defense for the most part isn't sexy. Though including defense it would be nearly impossible to argue that LeBron and Davis weren't the two best players on the court.

I thought the best two players on the court were Lebron and Doncic taking nothing away from Anthony Davis who had a great game as well.

The reason I say Lebron and Doncic were because both players carried their team.

Doncic did it all for the Mavericks although he got some help from Porzingis although not like Davis helped Lebron.