ARI @ NYG: Heroes and Goats

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I like these kinds of games! I became an NFL fan watching the Late 90s Tampa Bay Bucs, and yesterday Chase Edmonds looked a lot like Warrick Dunn. The defense wasn't as smothering as the Sapp-Brooks-Barber combo, but it got the job done against a Giants offense that seemed to be lacking a top-shelf receiving target, for some reason. They should try and find one of those guys.

Right now, what we can say for sure is that we're good enough to hang with the worst teams in the league about 100% of the time. I'm a little surprised and disappointed that we can't really put one or two of these teams away.

Strip away the woulda-coulda-shouldas, and we've still had big losses to the good teams we played. The next step forward for this team is to stay within a score into the fourth quarter against teams like New Orleans and San Francisco.

We might end up stealing one or two of those, too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chase Edmonds - Between his rushing and receiving, Chase accounted for a staggering 61% of the Cards' total offensive production. It was a true indictment of the general manager that we didn't have another back to step in and help carry the load when the questionable David Johnson bowed out after three snaps.

Chandler Jones - This guy was an absolute animal out there. His game wasn't perfect, but he was one of the only consistent contributors to the defense, playing mainly over the right tackle. Jones already has 4 forced fumbles on the season to go with 8.5 sacks.

Justin Pugh - A fairly standout day for the offensive line, and Pugh was the one that I noticed the least. Fingers crossed that this guy stays healthy, because if we can make him the third- or fourth-best OL in the next two seasons, this could be a really good group.

You must be registered for see images attach

David Johnson - Absolute fantasy assassin this week. Three snaps! He should be stuffed in a garbage disposal. Keim will probably add 3 years and $45 million guaranteed to his contract this week.

Tremaine Brock - It increasingly seems like opponents are going to test the Cards' defense horizontally. Our defensive backs are just not good enough to follow receivers and tight ends for long, especially when they get inside leverage. Brock was caught out of position too often.

Johnathan Bullard - Bullard should not be playing 46% of our defensive snaps. He shouldn't be playing any defensive snaps.

Did the Future of Football Arrive?

What an ugly day for football around the NFL. An offense can't be the future of football if it can only be played in ideal conditions. Murray and Kingsbury keep doing just enough to overcome lulls in productivity and brain farts to pull out a win. After the soul-crushing misery of last season, it's pretty fun — even if it's just the Giants.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
K9, you are right on the inability of Cardinals to put away one of these teams. It is a reason to still be concerned about this team when they play the heavyweights.

I think DJ is more important to this offense, THIS year, than most here believe in and it showed in lack of passing game yesterday.

It was absolute stupidity to not have another RB active outside of Chase Edmonds.

Zane Gonzalez deserves kudos to get the field goals, extra points through on a windy, rainy day where special teams had issues.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Crazy that we could win on the road with our top offensive players being all linemen and our 2nd string RB.

I enjoyed having Peterson. I think Hicks is probably getting paid more than what he is really worth, but he is also our best ILB since Dansby (the good Dansby). A top 12 defense can absolutely have Chandler Jones, Jordan Hicks, and Patrick Peterson. Add in better DE, better depth at OLB, and better play at S, and we can be there.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm willing to give Edmonds a pass for his two drops given the weather... he reportedly has very solid hands as a pass-catcher. Let's hope we see better catching performances from him down the road.
He also was the dude who missed his assignment on the blocked punt.
Nonetheless, he looks like he can be a guy who can more than adequately share the load with DJ. What a luxury to have these two - WHEN HEALTHY of course, as our RB options!

It was great to see the Cards win a game without having to rely on Kyler...at all! Kyler was in total "game management" mode... in fact, he only attempted 4 passes in the second half! Wow!

Chandler Jones is simply awesome... our defense is essentially a 2-man team between he and PP21.
Suggs is shot. Peters is serviceable at best. Same for Hicks. But am I the only one who feels that, if Saquon was healthy, the result of this game would've been entirely different?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Instincts in our secondary lack significantly minus Peterson. But it's a young one and will hopefully improve with time.. we shall see. But I would love to get our hands on a ball hawking safety in the draft or free agency at some point. This defense needs a pre injury honey badger in the worst way. Imo

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not sure why a guy who didn't really play would be a goat. Screw fantasy players.
This. I do play fantasy, but whatever helps the Cardinals win trumps what it does to my fantasy team. They felt like having DJ active was what was best for the team today and thus I have no issue with the way it played out. Just like I am okay with all the running they did instead of passing even though I have KM as my starting QB.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
Good list except don’t understand why DJ makes the goat list for this specific game. Dude played like 2 snaps because he is injured. May as well include other high impact players who can’t play due to injury like Kirk and Alford if that’s the case.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. I do play fantasy, but whatever helps the Cardinals win trumps what it does to my fantasy team. They felt like having DJ active was what was best for the team today and thus I have no issue with the way it played out. Just like I am okay with all the running they did instead of passing even though I have KM as my starting QB.

his 6 points killed me but not much to complain about. Not like he could have been throwing the ball everywhere.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Goat: Haasan Reddick.........why would Joe Walker need to be in the game for a 1st round pick, ILBer, in his 4th year.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goat: Haasan Reddick.........why would Joe Walker need to be in the game for a 1st round pick, ILBer, in his 4th year.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Reddick tweaked his leg on a fumble recovery and I immediately thought this was our chance to see what his backup can do but he was back the next drive.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm willing to give Edmonds a pass for his two drops given the weather... he reportedly has very solid hands as a pass-catcher. Let's hope we see better catching performances from him down the road.
He also was the dude who missed his assignment on the blocked punt.
Nonetheless, he looks like he can be a guy who can more than adequately share the load with DJ. What a luxury to have these two - WHEN HEALTHY of course, as our RB options!

It was great to see the Cards win a game without having to rely on Kyler...at all! Kyler was in total "game management" mode... in fact, he only attempted 4 passes in the second half! Wow!

Chandler Jones is simply awesome... our defense is essentially a 2-man team between he and PP21.
Suggs is shot. Peters is serviceable at best. Same for Hicks. But am I the only one who feels that, if Saquon was healthy, the result of this game would've been entirely different?

Edmonds had a phenomenal game, but wow, the dude can't pass block at all. DJ isn't very good at it either, but Chase almost got Murray killed often. I'm beginning to think that may be why we didn't pass the ball much in the 2nd half. Maybe we're bringing in RB's just to protect Murray. The Saints would eat Edmonds alive on their way to K1.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Crazy that we could win on the road with our top offensive players being all linemen and our 2nd string RB.

I enjoyed having Peterson. I think Hicks is probably getting paid more than what he is really worth, but he is also our best ILB since Dansby (the good Dansby). A top 12 defense can absolutely have Chandler Jones, Jordan Hicks, and Patrick Peterson. Add in better DE, better depth at OLB, and better play at S, and we can be there.

Love your newfound optimism.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I like Pugh making the list. I saw him deliver some crunching run blocks yesterday. And, our offensive line as a whole is showing progress.

If we can start the same five again against NO, we'll have a ghost of a chance.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have put Jordan Hicks as a goat for his stupid Personal Foul late hit on Jones who was clearly sliding. I couldn't believe that Hicks did that.

:bang:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Love your newfound optimism.
lol...I have one concern that still hasn't been addressed. My confidence in Keim's ability to be an average GM is not high. His navigation of the salary cap is almost criminal. You could argue that it is his worst skill after drafting players in the first round.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
lol...I have one concern that still hasn't been addressed. My confidence in Keim's ability to be an average GM is not high. His navigation of the salary cap is almost criminal. You could argue that it is his worst skill after drafting players in the first round.
I'm happy to fly high at some point in the season, even if the overall outlook isn't the best.

I really don't know about Keim either.