Coaching will need to be better the following weeks

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When Harry and others were burying the team after the 0-3-1 start... I remained relatively optimistic. We won 3 in a row. Now all I can do is be objective.

We've benefitted from coaches being lesser than Kliff.

We should have put up 24 points in the first half against the Bengals. Didn't help that we called an awful pass to Fitz that ruined us having 3 shots in the endzone.
We benefitted from the Bengals horrendous decision to go for it on 4th down on the wrong side of the field.

We should have put up 24 in the first half against the Falcons. Had a chance, but Kliff got spooked by the tipped pass and we settled for the Fg. Kliff also wasted 30 seconds on a Pharoh Cooper QB draw.

We also benefitted by the Falcons dumb decision to not challenge the Sherfield catch on the opening drive saving them 3 points.

Poorly managed timeouts at the half of the Giants game. Could have had 1:20 seconds to try and score points before the weather gets worse. We took a knee.

Kliff got spooked again by the Chase drop and grounded the offense. Only a few passing attempts in the 2nd half. You could see Kyler being bottled up by the play calling.

Luckily for us the Giants are a poorly coached team. That 3rd down draw and 4th down throw were horrendous. Other decisions odd from the Giants as well.

And we obviously know about Vance's defense blowing it against the Bengals/Falcons.

Kliff's been dealt a tough hand.

Kirk's hurt, DJ's banged up. Keim's draft picks 2-4 (outside of Murphy) have given us nothing. 6th round pick Keesean Johnson seems to be getting less reps to Cooper.

However, we're in the teeth of our schedule.

Saints
49ers
Bucs (Expect Arians/Bowles best)
49ers
Rams

Its rough. Kliff is going to have to be better. I think in our 3 game win streak Kyler played great in 2 of them...below average in this one. Yet, I think play calling and the stalling of our offense had something to do with that. I get the rain arguments, but I actually saw the Giants attempt passes down the field.

Again I was one of the few who believed. However, this win looked like it was merely because the other team was poorly coached (or worse than ours).

We need to be better. I think we can.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Meh...clubbing baby seals is part of the game. We are winning games where there is not a huge discrepancy in talent. That is ok. We will probably lose some games against teams with better rosters due to errors and mistakes that we will use as learning opportunities. I would be more concerned if we had a more competitive roster.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just one person's opinion, but -

Kingsbury's and VJ's playcalling seems to be getting better (& more creative) game by game.
Still lukewarm on vj.. but I'm willing to be patient if we are winning.. :)

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Since I was mentioned in the initial post I figured I’d better respond. My first reaction was not only would the coaching have to improve but also the play would have to move forward. I was pessimistic when they were 0-3-1. I’m still pessimistic about the record. I predicted 4-12 and I’m not certain I chose the wrong victory total.

Still there have been good things. I already posted I’m confident Murray can play in the NFL. Can he win big? It’s certainly possible but not an absolute certainty. You expect rookie mistakes and he makes them. He still takes unnecessary sacks. He killed the clock near the end which could have been fatal. He ran somewhat effectively, but not like Lamar Jackson. Of course Murray’s a smaller player.

On the plus side he throws accurately, but still has to work on ball placement. That’s comparatively easy if you’re accurate. He’s smart about getting down. He’s elusive.

Also Chase Edmonds surprised me with how well he fits KK’s offense. He’s become a serious weapon.

Peterson made a couple of big plays, but he’s clearly not enough to fix the secondary. This is compounded by the way the team plays their zone. It’s awful. They seem to think the receivers are supposed to come to them. They are reluctant to move to a receiver who penetrates their zone. They’re simply not aggressive. Baker is one of the biggest offenders. If the rain hadn’t caused some drops they would have likely given up more points. He lets the play come to him. I will say the tackling was much better today. Peterson’s biggest contribution was that it emboldened VJ to call a more aggressive game. It covered many sins in coverage.

Jones was again an awesome pass rusher. His strip sack again resulted in points. He’s likely the best outside rusher in the league.

I thought the overall line play improved but the offensive sets reduce the O-line’s burden. The D-Line showed relentless pursuit.

I have to agree with Lou that those touting KK are still overstepping. Certainly there’s some nice play design. That said I’ve seen several good X’s & O’s coaches who were poor game managers. KK shutdown the offense too soon. He never tried to spread the field. I can’t tell if the receivers are mediocre or KK’s simply not challenging them. I expected more aggressiveness. I do concur the Giants lost this game more than the Cards won it.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Kingsbury's and VJ's playcalling seems to be getting better (& more creative) game by game.
Well, they show they are willing to make adjustments...sometimes, though, those adjustments backfire.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kingsbury’s wussiness is really starting to bug me.

he doesn’t try to kick the 56 yd field goal, he burns off 47 seconds without even trying to get in field goal range. When we have a lead he calls plays to mearly get in field goal range not to get the first down.

it’s really pissing me off, and it could have easily cost the team both of the last two games.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

he doesn’t try to kick the 56 yd field goal, he burns off 47 seconds without even trying to get in field goal range. When we have a lead he calls plays to mearly get in field goal range not to get the first down.

it’s really pissing me off, and it could have easily cost the team both of the last two games.
I personally think that was the right call on the 56 yarder.

As far as the McCoy level plays in the 2nd Half..... I'm with you.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

KK definitely isn’t perfect, but I don’t think a 56 yard FG in rainy weather would’ve been the wisest decision. I don’t fault him on that.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KK definitely isn’t perfect, but I don’t think a 56 yard FG in rainy weather would’ve been the wisest decision. I don’t fault him on that.

If you think he can make the 51 yarder, then he can make a 56 yarder. I know he has the leg strength.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Exactly what I came to say. The team is on an obvious upward trajectory game over game. That may not translate to wins due to lack of talent over the next few weeks but I feel so much more confident about the coaching of this team going forward than I did at any time last year.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the type of postings on this board. The dark siders have to be less dark. And the koolaid posters have to be less kool. We're approaching the season's half way point. Back to basics and everyone, "Do your job". :)

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the type of postings on this board. The dark siders have to be less dark. And the koolaid posters have to be less kool. We're approaching the season's half way point. Back to basics and everyone, "Do your job". :)
Is it wasn’t for the extremes, this board wouldn’t exist

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave