The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Bender has a better connection with foreign players on the Bucks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone believe that, if he were still here, he'd be doing that? I don't think so.

He had the misfortune to be on a mis-managed team that went from too many
starting Power Forwards to none. And too many starting Point Guards to none.

As has been posted numerously, sharing the Power Forward position between
two rookies instead of a vet and a rookie was a mistake. As we watched.

'Glad to hear that Bender is in a position where he can fill a role. And perhaps
do it consistently. He deserves that. At the least, we can say that he just
didn't fit here. And, alongside Ayton this season, I don't think he would either.

I really don't know how Bender would have done on this Suns team but I think it was time for a change of scenery, especially for him.

It's a new team with many new faces and a new head coach. I suspect Bender would have fit this Suns team better than past Suns teams but I suspect James Jones and Monty Williams wanted to start fresh. The Bucks will give him this same opportunity.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen him with the Bucks but based on the stats it appears he's finally decided to look for his shot. I'm not sure what clicked for him, maybe it was being on the verge of having to go back to Europe as a bust but he had talent, the problem was between his ears and between his legs. He got in his head too much and he lacked testicular fortitude.

Hearing that he's doing well in Milwaukee does make me wonder how he would have looked last year if we had managed to get Coach Budenholzer to come here instead. Of course we don't know what kept that from happening but he's coaching the top team in the East now that happens to have one of the top players in the league who has won an MVP well before entering his prime. Giannis is only 24 years old right now, which is crazy to think about. Hopefully he's able to maintain his health because he'll be one of the all time greats if he continues improving.

I haven't seen Bender play either but his stats look solid. He might be a real find for the Bucks and as you mention, Budenholzer will provide good coaching.

It would be great to have a do-over with Bender with Monty as the Suns head coach.

Bender is one of those players I wouldn't mind having back to fill the 15th slot on the roster.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Bender is one of those players I wouldn't mind having back to fill the 15th slot on the roster.

If a player fails with a team, isn't it better for the player and the team to get him a
fresh start somewhere else, vs. burying him at the end of the bench, which would
be a constant reminder of his failure?

If I were the player, I'd want a fresh start. Or, as they say, in every trade, there is
a team that didn't want him . . . and a team that does want him.

The only exception being when you have to give up good players in a trade to get
a superstar.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Draymond Green has called out the Suns and blamed them for failing Marquese Chriss. He complains that the franchise is never blamed for a young kid failing, it always falls on the players shoulders.

Here's a link...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/10...uese-chriss-no-one-ever-blames-the-situation/

I can see his point but Chriss was a bonehead all on his own. I find it interesting that he didn't blame Houston or Cleveland, both had Chriss last year. I know the Suns haven't been this bright and shining example of developing young players but I find it hard to throw all of the blame on them when guys like Booker and Warren did just fine here and Chriss flamed out on other teams also.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Draymond Green has called out the Suns and blamed them for failing Marquese Chriss. He complains that the franchise is never blamed for a young kid failing, it always falls on the players shoulders.

Here's a link...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/10...uese-chriss-no-one-ever-blames-the-situation/

I can see his point but Chriss was a bonehead all on his own. I find it interesting that he didn't blame Houston or Cleveland, both had Chriss last year. I know the Suns haven't been this bright and shining example of developing young players but I find it hard to throw all of the blame on them when guys like Booker and Warren did just fine here and Chriss flamed out on other teams also.

lol, yeah, the Suns NEVER get any flak for their failures.

Fearless prediction, Chriss is going to suck in Golden State too.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only other issue I had was how they overrated Ben Simmons, putting him at #5. He can't make a jumper and until he can, he's not a top 5 PG. Maybe if Philly used his size a bit better to really take advantage of the opposing team's lack of size then I could understand rating him so high but it seems they haven't done that much, which isn't his fault but it could have something to do with his lack of shooting.

Jason Kidd couldn't hit the broad side of a barn his first three years in the league. he was still one of the best PGs in the game. Simmons makes that entire offense go. He's definitely a top 5 PG, IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Woulda Coulda Shoulda ever applies.

The Suns could have drafted Luol Deng but traded the pick which saved money.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Luol Deng has retired from basketball after 15 NBA seasons and signed a contract to retire as a Chicago Bull. The two-time All-Star spent his first nine-plus seasons in Chicago and then played for Miami, Lakers and Minnesota.

11:16 AM - 17 Oct 2019

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Here's a link...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is reported Zion will miss weeks to start the season.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

A severe injury has been ruled out for Zion Williamson’s right knee, but he is expected to miss period of weeks to start regular season, league sources tell ESPN. Pels are clearly treating injury with an abundance of caution but there’s no shortage of confidence on full recovery.

8:37 AM - 18 Oct 2019

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is reported Zion will miss weeks to start the season.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

A severe injury has been ruled out for Zion Williamson’s right knee, but he is expected to miss period of weeks to start regular season, league sources tell ESPN. Pels are clearly treating injury with an abundance of caution but there’s no shortage of confidence on full recovery.

8:37 AM - 18 Oct 2019

No surprises there. A lot of people speculated this happening. I'd wouldn't be surprised if this was a non-contact injury.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: The Golden State Warriors are waiving forward Alfonzo McKinnie, clearing way for Marquese Chriss to make regular-season roster. McKinnie will be one of the top available players on market.

9:21 AM - 18 Oct 2019
Wow. Never saw that coming. McKinnie has been slated as their starting SF to start the season. Disregard my post on the other thread, but this is very surprising.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Never saw that coming. McKinnie has been slated as their starting SF to start the season. Disregard my post on the other thread, but this is very surprising.

If the Suns had room... which they don't... they are third on waiver wire claims.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They like Robinson Jr and as I mentioned in the offseason they are planning on playing Klay at the 3 when he comes back at least initially because they think he won't have to guard as many quick guards(like Lillard) until he's closer to 100% recovered.

There's been talk for about a week now in the Bay area that it might happen, they needed the money to keep Chriss and McKinnie made the most sense.

Article in the Athletic says age was also a big part, he's 5 years younger than McKinnie(22 to 27) and the Warriors valued that as they're reloading right now.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
No surprises there. A lot of people speculated this happening. I'd wouldn't be surprised if this was a non-contact injury.
Yup, as we've posted, that's a lot of weight to put on those knees and ankles.

'Didn't expect it to happen so soon but, I guess, even preparing for an NBA
season is a lot different than preparing for a college season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They like Robinson Jr and as I mentioned in the offseason they are planning on playing Klay at the 3 when he comes back at least initially because they think he won't have to guard as many quick guards(like Lillard) until he's closer to 100% recovered.

There's been talk for about a week now in the Bay area that it might happen, they needed the money to keep Chriss and McKinnie made the most sense.

Article in the Athletic says age was also a big part, he's 5 years younger than McKinnie(22 to 27) and the Warriors valued that as they're reloading right now.
Welp, their funeral.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp, their funeral.

Yeah we'll see he's been really good in the preseason but obviously has a track record that's not good.

There's a certain in the right culture he'll do better thinking too but honestly it's too early to know what sort of culture the Warriors have. Curry, Klay and Draymond are basically it, guys like Iggy, Bogut and Livingston were big lockerroom leader guys and they're all gone. Draymond's a leader on the court but I'm not sure it's someone you want mentoring a kid like Chriss !

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah we'll see he's been really good in the preseason but obviously has a track record that's not good.

There's a certain in the right culture he'll do better thinking too but honestly it's too early to know what sort of culture the Warriors have. Curry, Klay and Draymond are basically it, guys like Iggy, Bogut and Livingston were big lockerroom leader guys and they're all gone. Draymond's a leader on the court but I'm not sure it's someone you want mentoring a kid like Chriss !

I don't think Draymond would be an issue as a mentor if Iggy and Livingston were still there. That way they can play the elder stateman type of role to see to it that Green is doing things right.

I'm still surprised they decided to move on from Iggy. I believe that was a factor in Livingston retiring. He decided to call it a career kind of late. You would think he would have done so sooner so they could have found a better replacement for him but I have a feeling we don't know the whole story behind that departure.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Draymond would be an issue as a mentor if Iggy and Livingston were still there. That way they can play the elder stateman type of role to see to it that Green is doing things right.

I'm still surprised they decided to move on from Iggy. I believe that was a factor in Livingston retiring. He decided to call it a career kind of late. You would think he would have done so sooner so they could have found a better replacement for him but I have a feeling we don't know the whole story behind that departure.

Iggy was a tough one it was rumored for awhile but I think he really wanted to stay and they really wanted to keep him, just didn't have the money. My understanding with Livingston is it took him awhile to accept he was done. It was pretty apparent he was done but I think he wanted one more go. Even Iggy with his back it was just too hard. The Lakers or Clips would be perfect for him because they won't need him that much in the regular season so they can save him for the playoffs. With the Warriors they were going to need him to play more in the regular season.

Iggy became one of my all time favorite Warrior players, there were times he drove me nuts passing up layups to kick the ball out etc, but he was the consummate team guy. Defended, passed the ball, came off the bench etc great guy.

on the current roster there are really 3 guys who've been through it. I know Draymond has taken Chriss under his wing and I know Curry likes him too but it's a different roster now it's not clear yet if the culture will be anywhere near as good as it was in the past. Let's face it winning cures lots of things. Even then last year they had a toxic situation for months because of the beef with Dray and Durant.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose