Jams seem to be going seedless

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite things in life is jam on my toast, English muffin or bagel.

I mostly like the berry type jams such as blackberry, boysenberry, raspberry and strawberry but they seem to be going seedless.

I tasted seedless strawberry jam today and it was yuck.

I'm fine with manufacturers offering seedless jam for those who want it but the direction seems to be headed towards seedless. To me, jam doesn't taste the same or have the same consistency without the seeds. Why must everything be processed to oblivion.

I was just wondering how others feel about it or perhaps I'm one of the few who like chunks of fruit in my jam.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm partial to orange marmalade on an English muffin or cream cheese on a bagel.... seeds from jam get caught in my bridge work and drive me crazy... blackberry jelly is not bad and doesn't have the seeds. btw, this reply belongs in Boring Post thread.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm partial to orange marmalade on an English muffin or cream cheese on a bagel.... seeds from jam get caught in my bridge work and drive me crazy... blackberry jelly is not bad and doesn't have the seeds. btw, this reply belongs in Boring Post thread.

I was debating whether my topic belonged in the boring posts thread before I put it up. :wink2:

There are legitimate reasons why some do not like seeds in their jam.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they dont want you to grow more jam in your yard.

Of course you are joking but I bet the manufacturers are using the seeds for something... maybe some kind of feed.

Taking the seeds out of strawberry jam seems like a bit of a reach.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Taking the seeds out of strawberry jam seems like a bit of a reach.

What brand(s) are you using? If it's highly processed perhaps they are not really using much strawberry in the product which could explain a lack of seeds. Flavorists working their magic.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What brand(s) are you using? If it's highly processed perhaps they are not really using much strawberry in the product which could explain a lack of seeds. Flavorists working their magic.

It's the seedless variety of strawberry jam, or any jam, that I don't like. I have tried a lot of different brands where fruit is the first ingredient and the result is the same.

It probably dates back to my youth where I grew up picking wild blackberries and raspberries. I used to bring them home and my mom would make a cobbler out of it. Needless to say it was delicious. So I got used to the seeds early.

Now when manufacturers start taking the seeds out of their product I notice.

I guess I got spoiled. :D

Reaction score
Good. I hate having the seeds so I stick to jelly. I also hate juice with pulp. You shouldn't be swallowing chunks while drinking. I think this comes from when I was a child & drank milk by mistake that had soured & had chunks in it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good. I hate having the seeds so I stick to jelly. I also hate juice with pulp. You shouldn't be swallowing chunks while drinking. I think this comes from when I was a child & drank milk by mistake that had soured & had chunks in it.

That is a downer to drink clabbered milk. I've done that by accident as well.

Naturally I like orange juice with the most pulp. I guess I have an ongoing feud with processed foods. I like breads that have grain parts in it as well.

Reaction score
That is a downer to drink clabbered milk. I've done that by accident as well.

Naturally I like orange juice with the most pulp. I guess I have an ongoing feud with processed foods. I like breads that have grain parts in it as well.

I like breads like that as well.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this one doesnt have seeds either

You must be registered for see images attach

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If you like something:

1. It will go away

2. Some gigantic moron of a CEO/Manager saw something that was good, working and successul, and "fix" it because its easier to screw up something that works than fix issues.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like something:

1. It will go away

2. Some gigantic moron of a CEO/Manager saw something that was good, working and successul, and "fix" it because its easier to screw up something that works than fix issues.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Also, sometimes removing a seed = a million dollars a year in extra profit. Analogy of course, but still.

One day I went to taco bell and asked for fire sauce, they asked me how many I wanted. By doing that instead of just giving me a handful at all locations, they may be savings million per year in expenses.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like something:

1. It will go away

Genie made a screw drive garage door opener. Quiet, reliable and affordable. I sold hundreds of them. You already know where this is going,....yup they quit making them.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I am now addicted to this stuff: (guava and passionfruit have LOTS of seeds)

What's the diff between preserves, jelly, or jam? :shrug:

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score

When I was a kid it was jam. My grandma made it and put it in Mason jars...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand jelly is made with fruit juice and is clear. Jam is the crushed fruit.

Sweeteners and some other stuff are usually added with both.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave