Belated Agreement

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would be more comfortable trading him for a known quantity instead of draft picks, but it takes a lot of stars to align to make that happen so I doubt it will.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Are we sure Peterson wants to play safety?

We KNOW he has wanted out.

I don’t think guys like Aeneas and Woodson wanted to play safety, but for career preservation, the switch was almost necessary.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t think guys like Aeneas and Woodson wanted to play safety, but for career preservation, the switch was almost necessary.
They were both willing and very good tacklers.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It’s very fun to be having this conversation again three years after Calais Campbell kept dominating after he left for the Jaguars.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s very fun to be having this conversation again three years after Calais Campbell kept dominating after he left for the Jaguars.
Easier to still perform at a high level in the trenches than it is at CB.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Assertion without evidence.
Julius Peppers, Michael Strahan, DeMarcus Ware, & Vince are just some small examples that still performed at a high level even in their mid 30s.

I can’t recall too many CBs that have doing the same.

It’s going to be quite lame to see Peterson leave for a 3rd round comp pick when we could’ve gotten a 3rd AND a 1st + more possibly.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Julius Peppers, Michael Strahan, DeMarcus Ware, & Vince are just some small examples that still performed at a high level even in their mid 30s.

It’s going to be quite lame to see Peterson leave for a 3rd round comp pick when we could’ve gotten a 3rd AND a 1st + more possibly.
Darrell Green is the only one I can think of... ???

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Ty Law had 10 interceptions in his Age 31 season with the Jets — and played 4 more years.
Richard Sherman is still playing well into his Age 31 year.
Darrell Green played into his 40s.
Charles Woodson started 16 games age 39(!)
Darren Sharper was an All Pro at age 34
Champ Bailey made the Pro Bowl at age 33
Ed Reed played to age 35

Hopefully we could use that draft pick to replace Patrick Peterson that — at best — would be as good as him. After a few seasons. That's how teams get better.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ty Law had 10 interceptions in his Age 31 season with the Jets — and played 4 more years.
Ed Reed played to age 35

Hopefully we could use that draft pick to replace Patrick Peterson that — at best — would be as good as him. After a few seasons. That's how teams get better.
Half of these dudes you named are not even CBs.

I’ll give you some more:

Bruce Smith
Jason Taylor
Cameron Wake(guy was an All-Pro at 34!!)
Terrell Suggs(in his last couple of years in Baltimore)

Even former Cardinal, Lorenzo Alexander, has been playing a lot better & notched up an All-Pro not too long ago.

It took Peterson 5 years to finally be an elite CB. Hopefully it wouldn’t take as long with that 1st rounder.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Half of these dudes you named are not even CBs.

I’ll give you some more:

Bruce Smith
Jason Taylor
Cameron Wake(guy was an All-Pro at 34!!)
Terrell Suggs(in his last couple of years in Baltimore)

Even former Cardinal, Lorenzo Alexander, has been playing a lot better & notched up an All-Pro not too long ago.

It took Peterson 5 years to finally be an elite CB. Hopefully it wouldn’t take as long with that 1st rounder.

Ohhhhh.... I get it. You're a hater. Never mind.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Yeaaa, were not trading a once in several decade HOF corner kn the prime of his career. Sorry folks.

Have you guys seen our pass d this season...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ohhhhh.... I get it. You're a hater. Never mind.
Not in the slightest.

Good backpedal.

I acknowledged Peterson as the best CB from 2015-2017. He was still good in 2018

I thought Mitch’s takes on Peterson were ludicrous. I still think they’re ridiculous.

To say he was a elite CB in his 1st 4 years is just ludicrous to the highest degree. Nothing hating about that at all.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I have no questions about his ability now or even next year. You can always pick contrarian examples of players who were effective at an advanced age. Nonetheless the odds are against. This is a fantasy site (I don’t play) but it pulls together some useful research.

https://socalledfantasyexperts.com/aging-curve-nfl-defensive-players-dl-lb-db/

I’m simply saying by the time the Cards get good, PP will likely be in decline. What I do play is the odds.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We have more than half a season to find out a few things:
1. How our defensive backfield is with PP.
2. Is the team improving with KM as our QBOTF.
3. What position group(s) needs to improve the most.

As we go through the offseason, we'll find out if it makes sense to trade PP. IMO, right now it makes little sense.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I’m simply saying by the time the Cards get good

a point of disagreement: it feels like in the NFL now you can go from terrible to good in two offseasons --

especially true if you get the QB position right

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Pretty different given there wasn’t the question of deteriorating skills given the fact that Calais hadn’t sucked for a season, rebounded, and was then discovered to have been using PEDs. There’s a very legit question whether the PP we get back is the deteriorated PP or not.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ed Reed played to age 35

Laws additional years were substandard.
Sherman is a shell of his peak.
Woodson, sharper and reed were all safeties by that juncture or were never cbs to begin with.
Bailey and green are legit

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We have more than half a season to find out a few things:
1. How our defensive backfield is with PP.
2. Is the team improving with KM as our QBOTF.
3. What position group(s) needs to improve the most.

As we go through the offseason, we'll find out if it makes sense to trade PP. IMO, right now it makes little sense.
Waiting until this offseason plummets his trade value.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

If you get a 3rd for his as a compensatory pick and the best you can get for him is a 1st and a 3rd...you only really got a 1st. If you can only get a 1st, you traded two years of production and a 3rd to move up into the 1st round.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The more and more that I think about this, the more I disagree with the idea of trading Peterson.

1-We have money to spend. 2 years of expensive Peterson (1 year franchise) and a 3rd round compensatory pick fits with the timeline of where we need to start planning for Murray's FA contract.

2-Trading Peterson gives us less talent the next two years when Murray will be expected to take a huge step forward. A backend 1st and third are not going to produce more than Patrick Peterson does over the next two years.

3-Both of these scenarios account for Peterson leaving, if his play declines and he stays in a different role for a cheaper cost, that only benefits us.