Belated Agreement

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
A few people have suggested that the Cards trade Peterson. I have opposed that tactic, but after viewing where the Cards stand now personnel-wise, I have to agree it’s worth investigating. With him signed only through 2020, the Cards would have to extend him for him to make a competitive difference in a playoff context. From my point of view the Cards will likely not contend for the playoffs until 2021.

I think a contender will likely offer a first round pick & maybe a third. Even a late first rounder is likely a contributor by 2021. The third would be a gamble but could offer a reasonable situational player. Who knows how well Peterson will be playing by 2021. He’s a fine player but now may be the time to cash in on his value. The Cards just have too many needs to invest the amount it would take to extend Peterson. This is a chance to plug at least one of those holes.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I imagine by 2021 Peterson will be transitioning to free safety.

But I am with you on the trade. we need youth if we are gonna get a legit window to win and the young guys need to have at least a year or two of experience....plus, PP21 has asked to be traded,..it sits wrong with me when a guy pouts when the team is bad, when the going gets tough you expect your veteran leadership to pull the team together...but Peterson tried to just bail out.

I think the drafting can be better if sk continues to follow this analytics approach... which means a third rounder should net a solid contributor...a rotational guy, with the opportunity to be more should he play above expectations.
plus...we really need three first rounders this year...an OT, a WR and a DT...DT's usually take couple years to really develop so we need that guy soon...but in honesty a solid second round guy could meet our needs at DT.... but OT and #1 WR we really need first round talent for.

Losing a legit lockdown corner is a big deal though... however if we get another young guy similar to Murphy we should be set at corner for the foreseeable future.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Expecting the 25th (ish) pick in the NFL draft and a 80th (ish) pick in the draft to impact our roster in any significant sort of way is silly. Draft picks are lottery tickets. Some work out...many don't. I would take 2020 Peterson, 2021 franchise tag Peterson and a 3rd round compensatory pick over the previously stated compensation any day of the week.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think the teams that offered two firsts for Ramsey (supposedly the Chiefs and Eagles) would happily give the same compensation for Pat P. Even with their age difference.

Still though.... I probably wouldn't do it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the teams that offered two firsts for Ramsey (supposedly the Chiefs and Eagles) would happily give the same compensation for Pat P. Even with their age difference.

Still though.... I probably wouldn't do it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pre suspension, I'd agree with you. He is one more strike away from what, an entire year away?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I don't understand for the life of me why people would want to trade away our best player, and expect KEIM OF ALL PEOPLE to get it right.
Disgruntled. Drug User. Coming off suspension. Cards are not contending with PP back which will lead to him being the first thing I said above. The time to sell is now.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If the FO plays its cards right, it could keep PP21 until 2022 without any new contract. You wanna trade an elite CB for what could amount to one average starter?

ideally, we re-sign him, but you don’t trade PP21.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Expecting the 25th (ish) pick in the NFL draft and a 80th (ish) pick in the draft to impact our roster in any significant sort of way is silly. Draft picks are lottery tickets. Some work out...many don't. I would take 2020 Peterson, 2021 franchise tag Peterson and a 3rd round compensatory pick over the previously stated compensation any day of the week.

Yep. That’s like trading PP21 for DJ Humphries and Zach Allen.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep him and extend him. He's worth more to the Cards than draft picks and I don't think you'd get a first and a third more like a second.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't understand for the life of me why people would want to trade away our best player, and expect KEIM OF ALL PEOPLE to get it right.
I don’t understand for the life of me why people think that a dude whose play had significantly deteriorated, miraculously rebounded by changing his diet/diabetes, then was busted using PEDs, still think this guy is gonna be our best player as he approaches he’s 30 and can’t rely on PEDs.

I hope he’s still the top corner we think of, but I think we are fooling ourselves if we don’t think there’s a real possibility that sans PEDs he’s just pedestrian for the rest of his career.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The PEDs thing is a pretty big red flag for me, along with crossing the 30 year mark as well as a less than stellar attitude puts me in the sell while the value is still there. Besides he could pull a Bell and just sit out instead of playing under the franchise contract. He's made plenty of money to go a year without pay. This isn't much different than holding a stock too long hoping it will go up forever when there are signs it's going to drop, then taking a hit because you waited too long.

Yes, it's a gamble trading him and hoping to grab a player in the draft but no more than hoping PP can play at a high level without the PEDs. Using them is one thing but trying to mask it is another that makes me think sell while everyone is buying and the stock price is above it's value.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Aenas (Sp?) Williams was a VG CB for a long time, but I'm not sure how long he played. I believe he finished his career with the Rams.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What if I told you there will be no franchise or transition tags in the next CBA and he could walk after 2020?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I imagine by 2021 Peterson will be transitioning to free safety.

But I am with you on the trade. we need youth if we are gonna get a legit window to win and the young guys need to have at least a year or two of experience....plus, PP21 has asked to be traded,..it sits wrong with me when a guy pouts when the team is bad, when the going gets tough you expect your veteran leadership to pull the team together...but Peterson tried to just bail out.

I think the drafting can be better if sk continues to follow this analytics approach... which means a third rounder should net a solid contributor...a rotational guy, with the opportunity to be more should he play above expectations.
plus...we really need three first rounders this year...an OT, a WR and a DT...DT's usually take couple years to really develop so we need that guy soon...but in honesty a solid second round guy could meet our needs at DT.... but OT and #1 WR we really need first round talent for.

Losing a legit lockdown corner is a big deal though... however if we get another young guy similar to Murphy we should be set at corner for the foreseeable future.
There are times when it makes sense to swap talent/experience for talent/youth. This isn't one of them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The PEDs thing is a pretty big red flag for me, along with crossing the 30 year mark as well as a less than stellar attitude puts me in the sell while the value is still there. Besides he could pull a Bell and just sit out instead of playing under the franchise contract. He's made plenty of money to go a year without pay. This isn't much different than holding a stock too long hoping it will go up forever when there are signs it's going to drop, then taking a hit because you waited too long.

Yes, it's a gamble trading him and hoping to grab a player in the draft but no more than hoping PP can play at a high level without the PEDs. Using them is one thing but trying to mask it is another that makes me think sell while everyone is buying and the stock price is above it's value.
I don’t think it’s feasible for an aging corner to go the Bell route. That’s a younger man’s play.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am in the move Pat P in the safety role. Last year it seemed to me he got burned more than usual. I was wondering if he was playing off rep, so teams schemed to not throw his way? I still think he sees the plays, I am just not sure he hasn't lost that step a CB needs. Still, a guy that can read pass plays on the field is valuable. I would like him to try safety, but I would be afrais Pat P would be ego and money tied to the CB spot.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
PP at safety? thats a tough one -- he doesnt tackle well and that would be a problem there

i guess we are going to find out over the last 10 games how well post PED PP can cover

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
No chance in hell you extend him. In fact I’m not sure there’s a player on this team you can feel comfortable about extending right now.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Many are calling him an elite corner. Elite corners only resort to PEDs if they see their skills slipping. Keep in mind he also used a masking agent so this was no accidental usage. Also we’re talking 2 years from now. That’s quite a bit of tread to be thinking extension. He’d be 31. Some corners last that long, but most have started to decline. Then add in where he’d be 2 years into an extension. I just don’t like the gamble. It would save $12 mil in cap space next year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are we sure Peterson wants to play safety?

We KNOW he has wanted out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA