Miami may force a lottery

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tanking in football is foolish. In basketball, you only have 5 players on the court. In football, it is 22 and that does not take special teams into consideration. A QB can have great impact, but even that is a crap shoot. I cannot imagine a rules change. This issue should be self-correcting.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have not heard or read anything about a lottery but the Dolphins actions have the idea that it might prompt the idea.

Hey if the Dolphins started out 0-6 and started trading players , I get it. But that’s not what’s going on here. They are ripping the fans off. You wouldn’t charge someone $200 for a ticket to see the Stones and then replace them with a garage band. Keep in mind ownership had season ticket holders money already in hand before the tank job started.

Something in the water in Miami. They are doing exactly what the Marlins did except for the Marlins it made sense to shed salary and rebuild the farm system. But the WAY the Marlins did it was just as underhanded as the way the Dolphins are doing it.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The NFL should not consider a lottery for what seems the first time a team's tanking. No, you strip the ownership of a franchise for not giving the populace in that area the best product they can

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They aren’t even trying to hide the fact they are tanking. They are cheating their fans, sponsors, and most important their players. Players on that roster are risking their bodies and career for a team that has total disregard for the integrity of the sport.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the NFL competition committee considers a lottery for the 6 worst teams or so for draft slotting.

At least we can say we sucked but tried. :-(

The players are risking their bodies for a pay check. No player is guarenteed to be on a good team.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Players are being asked to give 110% of there efforts to an organization that using those efforts and risk of injury without backing them with a 100% effort to win.

If Rosen gets sacked this week and suffers a career ending injury some might look at it as feeding Rosen to the wolves when they traded Tunsil. Granted it could happen even if Tunsil was still their left tackle.

Every player on that team knows they have14 games left this year. Their efforts have been compromised and I’m going to guess you are going to see Miami’s injury list grow and grow and grow. And I don’t blame them one bit.

I know the players are professionals and are being paid to do a job. Most will continue to do so. I just don’t know how the owner can look at any of his players in the eye and ask for a 100 % effort.

We sucked last year but we didn’t tank. Players may have been frustrated but I believe they felt wrong decisions were made ( coaching) but not intentional.
You have the stats? Im thinking we were actually worse after 2 games than miami. Points wise no

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The players are risking their bodies for a pay check. No player is guarenteed to be on a good team.
and I believe every player left on that roster is happier than a hog in poop that they have a roster spot with a contract and paycheck.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bet is that the Dolphins are not through come draft day. I can see them trading that #1 for multi picks and waiting for Lawrence (or Rosen to blossom). No
tank for Tua (or Herbert).

Last edited:

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lottery is a silly idea in the NFL and the idea of tanking is silly. In the NBA you have 5 players who play most of the game. A superstar pick like LeBron can take a loser to a contender in short order. In the NBA a top tier superstar in college often translates to the same talent level at pro level more often than it does is in NFL.

Pats could give them Brady and they would still be bad. Tua or any other QB that comes out of the draft is not a lock to be a an NFL great and there is already talk of Hebert and Burrow maybe going ahead of him. The NFL draft is so unpredictable because teams have so many different needs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mt bet is that the Dolphins are not through come draft day. I can see them trading that #1 for multi picks and waiting for Lawrence (or Rosen to blossom). No
tank for Tua (or Herbert).

This may be the smartest plan for a team that needs lots of talent. I suspect the Cardinals did not get any overwhelming offers for the #1 pick in the 2019 draft.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I only feel bad for the season ticket holders
They’re paying $120 per ticket and people are sitting next to them who bought em online for $5
The season ticket holders are the ones who got hosed
It’s miserable
Sad thing is if the Cardinals lose today we are in the same boat

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Players don't tank….owners and coaching staffs make decisions that prevent players from winning. (calling a run defense in an obvious passing situation)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players don't tank….owners and coaching staffs make decisions that prevent players from winning. (calling a run defense in an obvious passing situation)

I doubt coaches tank. Their job is on the line too. Can you imagine Miami keeping Flores after this?

shipping off players and stuff is the way to tank and they are doing it in droves.

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I doubt coaches tank. Their job is on the line too. Can you imagine Miami keeping Flores after this?

shipping off players and stuff is the way to tank and they are doing it in droves.
Not when the owners tell them what to do

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't buy that competitors will purposely lose and put that on their resume to appease the owner that may fire them by years end anyway.
If a owner wants to tank, he would get a unproven HC that never called plays, than get rid of all his good players by trading or so and then he would watch them loose.

But basically that is more or less what Miami did.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose