ARI @ BAL – Heroes and Goats

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What is having Tom Clements on the staff for if he's not going to tell Coach Kingsbury that an NFL field goal is only worth 3 points? Many people said before the seasons they'd be happy with a slow start from a wins perspective as long as the games were close. Do you still feel that way?

You must be registered for see images attach

Corey Peters – Excellent work by the big fella clogging up the middle of the field and getting a sack. Peters isn't an underrated player for people who know how this team works; he's a cornerstone of a defense that is pretty good and one of the best free agent signings in Keim's tenure here.

Byron Murphy – The Cards chose to play a lot of zone defense, which required some inexperenced players to make some hard choices. Murphy has shown that he belongs on the NFL field and could be a very good number two cornerback very soon.

Christian Kirk – Excellent bounceback game for Kirk, catching 75% of his targets for 114 yards, including 4 first downs. Kirk can't be the best or second-best receiver on a good/playoff team; it's going to be hard to plan for him in the future.

You must be registered for see images attach

David Johnson – I didn't think that David Johnson played as poorly as his 7 carry for 14 yard stat line. There's an open question whether he can run in this style of offense. He's the fourth-highest-paid running back in the NFL right now.

Haason Reddick – The defining play for the Cards' 2017 first-rounder was the softest arm tackle that I've ever seen on Mark Ingram in the first half. Reddick makes up for his poor instincts with his plus athleticism, but the sum of those parts is still a below-average interior player.

A.Q. Shipley
– Maybe I'm imposing a narrative, but it sure looked like Shipley was yelling at Kyler at the end of a series yesterday, and Fitz had to come get involved. Shipley did not have his best homecoming (of sorts) game. He's the most veteran OL starter and a captain; he needs to do better?

Has the future of football arrived?

Not this week — maybe on the Ravens sideline. Remember those preseason debates about whether Murray would go over 700 yards rushing? He's on pace for less than 150 yards and averaging less than 3 YPC. Part of the problem is that teams are still loading up against the run and the passing game is incomplete without at least one more above-average receiver. But Murray has to be more creative (selfish?) with his legs.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A.Q. and Kyler were absolutely yelling at each other plain as day... good write up

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Shipley thing was weird it didn't seem like Kyler was the one not expecting the snaps but Shipley reacted as if he thought I snapped it correctly you just weren't expecting them.

They gotta fix that. Admittedly loud stadium it's not easy but that was bad

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to leave Fitz off the list.

Offensive line hasn’t been as bad as we feared...so far. Too often defenses are pinning their ears back because they don’t have to worry about the run. I think the mindset of offensive linemen is throw a punch once in a while instead of going backwards.

I replace Shipley with Kliff. Yes he is a rookie HC but he’s going to have to come to realize sometimes you need to impose your will and run the ball. A 2 yard run is better than incomplete pass. It also makes defenses respect your willingness to run.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
when a guy goes from waiver wire to starting in 4 days due to 1 injury -- that's on the GM, not the player

It's a problem. Until it's fixed it will continue to be a major problem.

I don't see any other options out there so someone on this team needs to step up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And then put him on an island for 60% of your plays.

Yeah that's one thing really obvious about our offense we are going to get blitzed often because we are in that empty backfield so often.

Seems like the screens are pretty telegraphed too we should be able to pop one with all the pressure we're seeing but not yet

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Yes, still happy that the team is competitive.

2 weeks and got to watch 2 NFL football games. Happy.

AQ Shipley should try moving the oerson he blocks instead of worrying about yelling at the QB.

Shipley is horrible, he made one of the worst looking. Blocks on a screen I have seen in a long time. Shades of Anthony Clement.

I think Kyler is still thinking a lot and is looking to pass regardless. Its like he doesn't even think to run. Which is fine with me. The kid is moving the sticks and completing passes. Here is to hoping the best is yet yo come, which is crazy to think since he is looking pretty darn good already. Just getting used to NFL speed and defenses.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yes to people who wonder I am the same guy who in the preseason said I don't want Murray running too much, I still don't, but I think he's as K9 said got to be ready to put the foot in the ground and run now and then teams are teeing off on our pass game. There were at least 2 drives yesterday where we punted and I thought if he took off and ran we'd have gotten a first down.

I am excited by much of what I've seen with him but I do think he needs to be willing to run, and then get down or get out of bounds to avoid the big hits. When he shows that I think it'll give our offense a big boost as teams will have to account for it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still happy with us being very competitive and in it for 4 quarters. I didnt watch the last few games last year. Having a chance to win every game is entertaining and a massive improvement. We were supposed to get blown out and came close to winning.

This next game though, I expect to win. The Panthers are not that good. If we lose to the panthers in a close nailbiter, maybe I can accept it. If they kick our ass, I will start questioning a lot of things.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. That is not good.

It happens, loud stadium veteran C, rookie QB the tendency is to assume it was KM's fault but I honestly think it was Shipley because it didn't seem like the rest of the OL was expecting the snaps either. Happened in the first game too so they have to get on the same page. But I suspect either he does something that confuses Shipley and he snaps it, or there's just a disconnect that needs to be fixed. There were a couple of others where it seemed Kyler clearly didn't think the snap was coming at the right time either early or late so there's something they have to sort out, I'm sure they will.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Why?

Its just a disagreement.

Or maybe Murray just told Shipley he should try blocking a little bit.

Eh. Maybe you're right. I guess I'd rather they work it out one way or another rather than not talk to each other.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why?

Its just a disagreement.

Or maybe Murray just told Shipley he should try blocking a little bit.

Murray supposedly does this....but he also is real hard on himself when he makes mistakes.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noticed the words between Shipley and Murray. Looked to me like Kyler was calling him out and AQ want happy about it. He seemed to walk off in a huff.

They need to get it sorted.

I thought Reddick was improved yesterday. Maybe not first round pick good but better than before.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Noticed the words between Shipley and Murray. Looked to me like Kyler was calling him out and AQ want happy about it. He seemed to walk off in a huff.

I thought Reddick was improved yesterday. Maybe not first round pick good but better than before.

Murray definitely initiated the words, and I'm fine with that. They then spoke again on the sideline, but everything seemed fine.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Good.

He should call out Shipley. AQ sucked yesterday.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Reddick may have improved but he doesn't live up to the job description for one of the ILB positions. I believe his spot requires a sideline to sideline playmaker/disrupter. I don't think he is giving us that.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reddick may have improved but he doesn't live up to the job description for one of the ILB positions. I believe his spot requires a sideline to sideline playmaker/disrupter. I don't think he is giving us that.
Maybe he needs more time. Agree he's not really a playmaker but is improving.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose