Game #146-Arizona Diamondbacks (75-70) @ NY Mets (74-70). 09/11/19

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
C'mon, Robbie! Your 4.03 ERA vs Matz's 4.00. A wash. Your 12-7 record vs. his 9-8.

The difference maker will be RISP, which has not been in the D-backs hitters' favor.

After the first hour, I am going to be switching to the Mercury single elimination
post-season game.

Hey, D-backs, the ladies made it to the post-season this year, even without Diana
Taurasi, the WNBA's GOAT.

How about you? :shrug:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Locastro is, of course, HBP on the first pitch of the game.

The right side of the infield is wide open for Walker
but he, of course, grounds out to the crowded left
side to end the top of the 1st.

And Locastro is, of course, LOB.

So damn predictable. And stubborn!

Steve said the best way to get to Matz is jump on
him early. Nope! Hit it into the shift, Chris.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Robbie puts two runners on base and they steal 3B & 2B
uncontested. As the saying goes, our D-backs are a day
late and a dollar short

A groundout drives in the first run and the Mets lead 1-0.

Then Tim Locastro loses a blooper in LF and it's 2-0.

No LOB for the Mets. They know National League baseball.

And the ump calls a clear strike as a ball. You have to earn
calls.

Then, for (Mets) good measure, a 2-run HR. 4-0 in the 1st.
Three hits and a hit batter.

Then a solo HR. 5-0 Mets. And a double. That's it for
Robbie Ray. If his blister is still a problem, D-backs
management should have been on top of it.

The Mets are on their to dropping the D-backs another
notch in the Wild Card race, behind them.

It is not easy being a die-hard D-backs fan with leadership
that is so out of touch. :(

'Time to root on the Mercury.

Buh-bye!

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Way to go Ray!
You crapped the bed so bad they’re gonna have to burn the house down to get rid of the odor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow. Since about 5 games, the dbacks bats have gone really cold. It was fun seeing this team fight back to get back in the running for the wild card, but they just won't make it this year. Just not how they are playing now with the cold bats.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Wow. Since about 5 games, the dbacks bats have gone really cold. It was fun seeing this team fight back to get back in the running for the wild card, but they just won't make it this year. Just not how they are playing now with the cold bats.
That and our starter going 2/3 of an inning is a huge disaster.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
0-10 RISP 11 LOB.

I'll say it again. The team priority is not about winning. It is about individual stats.

Game attendance is not what makes the D-backs investors rich. It is the television
revenue which, I would think, is difficult to identify accurately.

And it is about the power of the Players Union.

It takes a confident and free-thinking ballplayer to hit the ball through the uncovered
side of the infield with runners in scoring position vs. . . .

Popup, strikeout, groundout into the shift, fly ball, strikeout, groundout into the shift,
popup, strikeout, groundout into the shift, fly ball, strikeout, groundout into the shift.
home run . . . etc.

And its not fun for die-hard fans.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

9 PLAYERS LEFT EITHER 2 OR 3

AZ Native

Reaction score
"Halfway through his pregame bullpen session, Diamondbacks lefty Robbie Ray’s worst-case scenario came to fruition on Wednesday night. The skin on his left middle finger had ripped off. The blister he thought had healed had suddenly resurfaced.

Minutes later, Ray took the mound. He was hoping for the best. He encountered the worst."

Here is the rest of the article:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...dbacks-shutout-new-york-mets-road/2296149001/

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Halfway through his pregame bullpen session, Diamondbacks lefty Robbie Ray’s worst-case scenario came to fruition on Wednesday night. The skin on his left middle finger had ripped off. The blister he thought had healed had suddenly resurfaced.

Minutes later, Ray took the mound. He was hoping for the best. He encountered the worst. Here is the rest of the article:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...dbacks-shutout-new-york-mets-road/2296149001/

He selfishly took the mound and may have been the catalyst to ending the season by only going 2/3 of an inning. Horrible.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
He selfishly took the mound and may have been the catalyst to ending the season by only going 2/3 of an inning. Horrible.

I don't know if I'd say "selfishly" because I don't know what his motivation was (he may have been looking to do what he could to help the team), but I will say "foolishly".

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
'Sorry, but I join AZ Native in saying "selfishly".

The skin "ripped off" his blister and he thought
he could help the team by hiding it?

No Major League pitcher is that naive. Even if he
convinced himself, hiding it from the coaching
staff is dishonorable.

Robbie Ray is now a flake in my book. Also the
manager should know his players before making
one his "ace", and the pressure that comes with it.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Ray is what he is - a 5-inning starter, who has great stuff and strikes out a lot of batters, but isn't as good a pitcher as he should be.

He throws way to may pitches because he doesn't have great command, and for as good as his stuff is, there are to many hard hit balls against him.

(this is just from eyeballing it - but I think the numbers back up my assumptions)

AZ Native

Reaction score
I don't know if I'd say "selfishly" because I don't know what his motivation was (he may have been looking to do what he could to help the team), but I will say "foolishly".
I agree. But he should have said "NO" because of what happened to his finger while he was warming up. But maybe he feels a need to be the "ACE" even though he is not one so he is partially to blame. In his last start Torey impressed me by looking him in the eye and telling him "you need to leave, I need you for a playoff run". This time Torey (who had to know about his finger) let him start even though he knew it was the wrong move. So I put a little bit of blame on Robbie and most of the blame on Torey for not doing what was best for the team. Torey cost us a fair chance at winning this game, a much needed victory. I give Torey a lot of credit, for which I believe he has earned, but he was wrong this time.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If he didn't go, just as many guys would have been on here calling him a wuss to sit out in the heat of a pennant race because of a little blister on his finger.

The Mets series flopped in every way, and unfortunately, it brings an end to realistic playoff contention for the team this year. I say, congratulations to the team. Virtually everyone picked them to be a disaster, and they were in the thick of the playoff race until the middle of September, even after losing Goldy, Pollack, Corbin, and Greinke. They way overachieved this year.

They've got all they need to be great, if they can get their pitching staff back to good from the ruin it's become. They've got hitting, fielding, running, a young up-and-coming roster. Hazen and Lovullo know what they're doing for sure.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he didn't go, just as many guys would have been on here calling him a ***** to sit out in the heat of a pennant race because of a little blister on his finger.

The Mets series flopped in every way, and unfortunately, it brings an end to realistic playoff contention for the team this year. I say, congratulations to the team. Virtually everyone picked them to be a disaster, and they were in the thick of the playoff race until the middle of September, even after losing Goldy, Pollack, Corbin, and Greinke. They way overachieved this year.

They've got all they need to be great, if they can get their pitching staff back to good from the ruin it's become. They've got hitting, fielding, running, a young up-and-coming roster. Hazen and Lovullo know what they're doing for sure.

I disagree about the reaction had he not gone...at least from my standpoint. It was far worse that he went when he absolutely knew he shouldn't. If TL knew that makes it even worse...much worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA