Quick Reactions - Week 1

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Without knowing the specifics.. I would think that with keims preference for those deals in the first place, it might not have been an option. If you wanted the guy and believed he could have got multiple years elsewhere sometimes you just have to pull the trigger.

The other option would’ve been to not sign Alford at all and be patient when FA began.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The other option would’ve been to not sign Alford at all and be patient when FA began.
isn't that kinda the point here? They wanted him, by giving him multiple years, so I'd be surprised if they didn't perform some due diligence before signing him. I would assume that they wanted the guy maybe a little more than anyone else that could pop up as a free agent. But that's jmo

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes to all. I've pretty much written off Reddick as a sunk cost, dude doesnt know how to play the position. Too many false steps and indecision negate his God-given speed. Murphy can flat out play. I'm sure he'll make some mistakes but to come out as a rookie and cover/tackle like that was inspiring. Sucked to see Metcalf play well for Seattle and know Isabella is buried on the depth chart.

Only other comment I'd make is o-line played better than I thought.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I know right? If Andy doesn’t contribute this year what a waste of a second round pick.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler was asked about that in his presser and he mentioned that it may have "stunted their growth" to play vanilla in preseason rather than their own offense. He said it made more sense to him to practice what they were going to do in the regular season in those preseason games...

I agree with Kyler. But, if that's the biggest mistake that KK makes, then it's a small one.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you guys feel that the league does not like the Air Raid, K1 & K2 in the NFL? We have seen some people call it pretty boy football. The officials were giving us crap on the hand-clap during pre-season. There were a few plays towards the end of the game, I felt the officials could flown the fly, but did not. In particular, a potential pass interface missed for Larry, and when Kyler was running out of bounds and the defender hits him out of bounds. I just get a bad vibe from the league in general. Is it just me?

The NFL will do everything they can to make sure that KK fails & fails miserably. Not sure that the Cardinals long term can overcome the bad calls & missed calls that will be coming at them. We already got a taste of it in game 1, when missing the K1 out of bounds hit pretty much cost us the win. I put a long thread together last week about this subject, but held off posting it for a few weeks. I'll post it soon enough. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so. It's not KK's X's & O's that will hurt us. It's the NFL protecting its brand & their refusal to not let the college game change the NFL's way of doing things.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah, i remember him as a very physical runner with a mean stiff-arm.

Now hes playing more with finesse and avoiding hits as much as possible.

The only mean stiff-arm I've seen with the Cardinals belonged to Beanie Wells. But, Beanie had other issues.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Without knowing the specifics.. I would think that with keims preference for those deals in the first place, it might not have been an option. If you wanted the guy and believed he could have got multiple years elsewhere sometimes you just have to pull the trigger.
Giving a bad deal to a bad player because that player wants more is not how winning organizations run.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
isn't that kinda the point here? They wanted him, by giving him multiple years, so I'd be surprised if they didn't perform some due diligence before signing him. I would assume that they wanted the guy maybe a little more than anyone else that could pop up as a free agent. But that's jmo
Which is an indicator of why we have so much dead cap space and have so many bad FA signings under Keim. Keim panics, wants to make a showy move, and gives flawed players bad contracts for the team.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Giving a bad deal to a bad player because that player wants more is not how winning organizations run.
So we know for certain that the organization thought he was lousy because he had one bad season, so they just had to settle?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But I feel that in 2016 he would have scored on the run to the corner of the endzone. As I stated I'm glad we have him and he will help us win games but he just doesn't seem as explosive to me. He use to juke more defenders and break more tackles and run faster and quicker. He is still very good but not quite at that 2016 level.
His ridiculous jump cuts are almost nonexistent, he breasted through defenders initially and that’s gone, and I don’t see breakaway speed anymore. That said, he’s still an effective weapon - particularly if moved around the field and allowed to catch the ball downfield.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
David Johnson is still really a physical specimen of a WR playing RB. Hes not all that powerful for a bigger back.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I feel that in 2016 he would have scored on the run to the corner of the endzone. As I stated I'm glad we have him and he will help us win games but he just doesn't seem as explosive to me. He use to juke more defenders and break more tackles and run faster and quicker. He is still very good but not quite at that 2016 level.

Totally agree it was like he took the wrong angle he should have been able to cut back towards the endzone he was running essentially to the pylon which allowed the defender to catch him and knock him out early. 2016 DJ scores on that, of course 16 DJ I don't think the defender even gets a chance to knock him out he can't catch him.

I thought he played well and he gave me nearly 50 points in my fantasy league but he should have had a TD on that play.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You said $3 million dead money if they move on?

That's not terrible.
On an island, you are correct. However, when you have a history of excessive dead cap dollars because of poor contracts it is just another glaring example of a bigger problem.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only reason we should be concerned about Isabella is that we used a second round pick on a guy we already have on this team named Damiere Byrd. Byrd is just as fast as Isabella coming out of college and he can run routes and catch with his hands... unless the spread offense at this level needs two guys with this speed to achieve it's objectives but Byrd can take the top off a defense too
What's wrong with being 2-deep in certain types of players.

Cut Isabella and it's a sure-fire bet that Byrd will be injured one day later

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only reason we should be concerned about Isabella is that we used a second round pick on a guy we already have on this team named Damiere Byrd. Byrd is just as fast as Isabella coming out of college and he can run routes and catch with his hands... unless the spread offense at this level needs two guys with this speed to achieve it's objectives but Byrd can take the top off a defense too
The problem with Byrd is that he has injury prone lately. Hasn’t stayed relatively healthy since 2016.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Everything is so cool when fans are discussing cutting a second round pick in year 1, yey, Keim!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Everything is so cool when fans are discussing cutting a second round pick in year 1, yey, Keim!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Who is talking about cutting him?

I think that Isabella is caught in a bit of a logjam between Fitz and Kirk. If one of those guys go down, he could see more playing time really quickly.

I also think he was really hurt by missing camp with the injury.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Johnson is still really a physical specimen of a WR playing RB. Hes not all that powerful for a bigger back.

this just wasn't the case his first two seasons in the league where he was able to shed tackles, run over people and make pretty great jump cuts with regularity.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On an island, you are correct. However, when you have a history of excessive dead cap dollars because of poor contracts it is just another glaring example of a bigger problem.

agreed. the 3 million dollars in dead cap money to start stacking up when there's so many FA busts to get rid of.

I mean, where are we right now? 30 million in dead cap? Should be looked at as 35 million considering no one in their right mind should have expected anything out of Gilbert.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Who is talking about cutting him?

I think that Isabella is caught in a bit of a logjam between Fitz and Kirk. If one of those guys go down, he could see more playing time really quickly.

I also think he was really hurt by missing camp with the injury.
Isabella seems like a guy whose learning curve is increased because his impressive speed is less impressive in the NFL vs in college. His lack of size is more accentuated in the NFL than college. That being said, can he overtake Damiere Byrd in that role by the end of the season? Sure, and that is probably all we should expect him to do.

What is interesting is some of the profile redundancies in our receiving corp.

Michael Crabtree 6'1, 215 (boundry WR)
KeeSean Johnson 6'1, 201 (boundry WR)
Trent Sherfield 6'1, 219 (boundry WR)

Damiere Byrd 5'9, 180
Andy Isabella 5'9, 188

Larry Fitzgerald 6'3, 218
Hakeem Butler 6'5, 227

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member