15 thoughts - Lions game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Fitzgerald is simply the perfect human being, and he is also pretty good at football. Congratulations on the record for most games in a Cards uniform!

2 – Through three quarters Kyler Murray was very inaccurate. Judging by the fourth it was probably nerves, but it did make me nervous since I am one of those who does not believe accuracy can be improved much.

3 – They say that cornerbacks are wide receivers that cannot catch. Case in point: Tramaine Brock.

4 – I don’t want this to sound arrogant (which signals that it will sound arrogant), but this is my “column”, so I am just going to say it: it is at least ten years, if not more, since there has been a starting offensive lineman for the Cards that I did not know anything about beforehand. I did not know anything about Justin Murray beforehand. I thought he did well, by the way.

5 – Welcome to the season, Chandler Jones! Oh, and I know his celebration “dance” is unique, but it is certainly not very pretty. Knock on wood if you’re with me.

6 – How about Chris Jones coming up big in a big moment?

7 – You and I could run on this defense.

8 – Like we saw in preseason Murray sure spreads the ball around a lot.

9 – I was surprised how often Byron Murphy lined up on the outside. I thought for sure that he would primarily be a slot corner.

10 – Trent Sherfield and Ezekiel Turner are special team gunner monsters.

11 – There is literally not a single person on this planet that I would less want to be enemies with than Terrell Suggs. He looks like he still has it, and he is just so violent and mean.

12 – Kyler Murray had better pocket presence than I saw him have at Oklahoma. Now, at Oklahoma he rarely needed to because his offensive line was so dominant, but that obviously also means that it was a question mark, at least to me.

13 – Such good halftime adjustments by Vance Joseph. I am not used to see that from a Cards coordinator. Weird experience. #WhereAmI #WhoAmI #WhatAmIDoingHere

14 – I am not sure why Darrell Bevell get so much criticism for calling that critical timeout late in the fourth quarter. Of course it is very easy to do now that we know what could have happened, but how was he supposed to know that the play would go for a first down? A turnover would be catastrophic, so if he truly thought they were about to screw up the play?

15 – I could see Christian Kirk having a big season.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good post. Agreed on #15. Kirk didnt have a good game but from what I saw, he will absolutely be a focal point between the passing game and the jet sweeps.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1 – Fitzgerald is simply the perfect human being, and he is also pretty good at football. Congratulations on the record for most games in a Cards uniform!

2 – Through three quarters Kyler Murray was very inaccurate. Judging by the fourth it was probably nerves, but it did make me nervous since I am one of those who does not believe accuracy can be improved much.

3 – They say that cornerbacks are wide receivers that cannot catch. Case in point: Tramaine Brock.

4 – I don’t want this to sound arrogant (which signals that it will sound arrogant), but this is my “column”, so I am just going to say it: it is at least ten years, if not more, since there has been a starting offensive lineman for the Cards that I did not know anything about beforehand. I did not know anything about Justin Murray beforehand. I thought he did well, by the way.

5 – Welcome to the season, Chandler Jones! Oh, and I know his celebration “dance” is unique, but it is certainly not very pretty. Knock on wood if you’re with me.

9 – I was surprised how often Byron Murphy lined up on the outside. I thought for sure that he would primarily be a slot corner.

11 – There is literally not a single person on this planet that I would less want to be enemies with than Terrell Suggs. He looks like he still has it, and he is just so violent and mean.

12 – Kyler Murray had better pocket presence than I saw him have at Oklahoma. Now, at Oklahoma he rarely needed to because his offensive line was so dominant, but that obviously also means that it was a question mark, at least to me.

13 – Such good halftime adjustments by Vance Joseph. I am not used to see that from a Cards coordinator. Weird experience. #WhereAmI #WhoAmI #WhatAmIDoingHere

14 – I am not sure why Darrell Bevell get so much criticism for calling that critical timeout late in the fourth quarter. Of course it is very easy to do now that we know what could have happened, but how was he supposed to know that the play would go for a first down? A turnover would be catastrophic, so if he truly thought they were about to screw up the play?

About that DB timeout, obviously it was called because something didn't look right. When Stafford got to the sideline after the play was stopped on 3rd down, he put his hat on & said "trust me" I read his lips, he was pissed.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Not the first time Brock missed a perfectly thrown ball to him for an INT. Dropped one against the Cards. :)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
About that DB timeout, obviously it was called because something didn't look right. When Stafford got to the sideline after the play was stopped on 3rd down, he put his hat on & said "trust me" I read his lips, he was pissed.

Watching it, it looked like we had an overload blitz on the blind side (at least). Maybe he was afraid Stafford wouldn't see it and a turnover could ensue.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They claim the play clock was down to 1 second and they were afraid Stafford didn’t see it. Thus they called the time out to avoid the penalty.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kirk was targeted 12 times, caught only 4. Either he doesn’t have enough separation, not fast enough or poor hands.

Others have said it in this thread, Jasper, but the statline is deceiving in this case. Many of the targets he did not catch were very inaccurate passes that he had no chance at. I thought he did well, and showed that he can be a playmaker.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kirk was targeted 12 times, caught only 4. Either he doesn’t have enough separation, not fast enough or poor hands.

He was the target of at least 3 or 4 overthrows, probably two of which a big, physical receiver could have snagged.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Adding 1

16. If Patrick Peterson and Alford played. We win that game and probably fairly easy. In fact We probably win an extra 3 games with them.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He was the target of at least 3 or 4 overthrows, probably two of which a big, physical receiver could have snagged.
DK Metcalf maybe? Sorry... had to... not happy we chose Isabella over him, but hopefully my mind is changed down the road.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Adding 1

16. If Patrick Peterson and Alford played. We win that game and probably fairly easy. In fact We probably win an extra 3 games with them.

You mean because they have caught the ball that Brock dropped, or something else? Because I remember on the first touchdown by the Lions there were some communication-screw up between two or three defenders, and on the drop by Brock I immediately thought that Peterson would have gotten it.

Iron Lion

Reaction score
Turning point was when the Lions accepted a holding penalty. Would've been 4th and short. Disrespectful, lol. Murray immediately started balling on the next play and never let up.

gg

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the first time Brock missed a perfectly thrown ball to him for an INT. Dropped one against the Cards. :)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jeebus! i don't know what's worse there... the drop or the throw. There was literally NO ONE from our team even close there.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
jeebus! i don't know what's worse there... the drop or the throw. There was literally NO ONE from our team even close there.
LMAO that is significantly worse than vs. Detroit and that was pretty bad. And, yes the throw looked like a punt.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Watching it, it looked like we had an overload blitz on the blind side (at least). Maybe he was afraid Stafford wouldn't see it and a turnover could ensue.
Yup. They actually had the the perfect call against the defense facing them. That was proven at snap. It was an awful case of Bevell second guessing himself. We got lucky there.