THE Newcastle United FC thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's true. I don't think I agree with it--not because of my team's game--but because it's easy to have a ball kicked directly off your arm with nothing you can do about it.

I completely agree with it. It takes all of the guesswork out of it. If it hits any part of your arm, it's a hand ball. You don't see the T'hams and the ManUs of the game get call after call.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I completely agree with it. It takes all of the guesswork out of it. If it hits any part of your arm, it's a hand ball. You don't see the T'hams and the ManUs of the game get call after call.

Mm, there is that. I'd only be good with that zero tolerance policy if it applied to ALL handballs in the area, and not just to goals. Take all the ambiguity out of it for the same reason.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see. A goal by a LB as good as you will ever see, a stonewall pen that wasn't called, some pretty bad defending by Newcastle. Pretty entertaining game. Even with the poor defending at times, if Newcastle play like that, there will be in the top half of the table.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Let's see. A goal by a LB as good as you will ever see, a stonewall pen that wasn't called, some pretty bad defending by Newcastle. Pretty entertaining game. Even with the poor defending at times, if Newcastle play like that, there will be in the top half of the table.

Yeah, that was a weird one. Strange thing is, in the first half, Newcastle beat themselves--Liverpool had nothing going until the Mags gave it to them. Krafth, Dubravka (and Lascelles--that was definitely a penalty), for shame! After that, it was all over but the crying.

I can't see anyone but Liverpool winning the league this year. Newcastle DESPERATELY need their injured players back. But I'm feeling kinda okay right now. The Brighton game will be the big test.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
fudge Leicester city and fudge the referees. Apparently going in studs-up, gouging a player's leg open, and damaging ligaments is perfectly fine and nothing more than a yellow card. But, dear me, if you take the BALL, well, that's a horror challenge and a straight red card.

freaking joke. I hope Leicester's players get injured one after the other, that none of the players that do it see a card, and that Leicester City never take another point. They are my new #1 hated team. I thought only the traditional top 6 sides were supposed to get preferential treatment.

Oh, and fudge Steve Bruce while we're at it. If he isn't fired and a proper manager brought in, that's Newcastle down.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
What an excellent sports weekend! The Cards win, the Steelers lose, and Newcastle catch Man U at the perfect time. And, since I won at the blackjack table, I put a silly bet on Newcastle to win. 20 bucks won me 90 at the sports book. Sweet!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What an excellent sports weekend! The Cards win, the Steelers lose, and Newcastle catch Man U at the perfect time. And, since I won at the blackjack table, I put a silly bet on Newcastle to win. 20 bucks won me 90 at the sports book. Sweet!

Haha, awesome. Hopefully they still suck after the break when Liverpool play them.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny. It seems like the fans are warming up to Bruce now after wanting to run him out of town before he ever got started.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Funny. It seems like the fans are warming up to Bruce now after wanting to run him out of town before he ever got started.

Not me. How is he getting even a modicum of success? Reverting to the exact same tactics Benitez used. Every time he tries to change it, it falls apart. Hayden once screamed at the sidelines "It's not effing working!" when Brucie tried to implement his own "tactics." By "tactics," I mean that he infamously once claimed he doesn't use them.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
HUGE win for Newcastle today. Started out slow and sloppy. Gave up a really bad set piece goal--credit to Bournemouth for the play design, but that can't be defended so poorly. Still, credit to the team for heart, grit, and determination. Great Yedlin goal, good scrappy 2nd goal in the 2nd half. The front 3 couldn't score if a debutante dropped her panties, hoisted her skirts, and bent over in front of each of them, but a win's a win.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Hopefully that ends the sickening British media **** fest over Brucie boy. Why's he have a higher points total than Benitez? Because he has players Benitez didn't, and he's using Benitez's system too, with only slight tweaks. And what does Brucie boy do against a crap team that've lost three games on the bounce? Park the bus. He freaking went to Villa and he freaking parked the bus. El shocko dismayo, they took a 2-0 lead! Wow, who'd have thunk it, when you don't even TRY to play against them.

freaking disgusting.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Oh, and with Lejeune and Schar, the latter of which is arguably the best Newcastle player, both healthy, he keeps them both on the bench. Sterling stuff, Brucie boy, sterling stuff.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Finally, no wonder Benitez left. Ashley told him...didn't ask him, but TOLD him he was buying Joelinton for 40+ mill. This shocked Benitez, who knew he was worth nowhere near that. And now we see why. Almost rather have Manu Riviere back!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Woof, talk about getting away with one. A real smash-and-grab point, this. The big thing I'll say about Brucie is this time he got the lads up to try, to work hard, to graft, to keep at it, and to ultimately get a totally undeserved point. But why was the point undeserved, if they worked so hard? Because Man City LOST this point; Newcastle did NOT win it. 3 or 4 one-on-one shots against the keeper, and only City's profligacy and Dubravka's stunning form kept it from being a route. How Paul "I'm solid and try hard but am terribly limited--a perfect backup" Dummett started over Fabian Schar and Florian Lejeune. Which is a CRIME. Heck, Clark should have sat out, but I'll give Brucie the nod for sticking with him over Lejeune, who is just back from long-term injury

But, hey, a point's a point, and I will absolutely take it here.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woof, talk about getting away with one. A real smash-and-grab point, this. The big thing I'll say about Brucie is this time he got the lads up to try, to work hard, to graft, to keep at it, and to ultimately get a totally undeserved point. But why was the point undeserved, if they worked so hard? Because Man City LOST this point; Newcastle did NOT win it. 3 or 4 one-on-one shots against the keeper, and only City's profligacy and Dubravka's stunning form kept it from being a route. How Paul "I'm solid and try hard but am terribly limited--a perfect backup" Dummett started over Fabian Schar and Florian Lejeune. Which is a CRIME. Heck, Clark should have sat out, but I'll give Brucie the nod for sticking with him over Lejeune, who is just back from long-term injury

But, hey, a point's a point, and I will absolutely take it here.

I'll take it too. :D

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
From what I understand, it was an ugly win, but a win's a win. I LOVE all the whinging about the 2nd goal. So, Shelvey and the ref followed the rules, the Blades didn't play to the whistle, and a good goal stood. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
A really bad outing that turned around, thankfully, with Bruce fixing his boneheaded errors. He had to sub Clark out for Schar, who should have been in from the start, and the last few games, when the defense couldn't move the ball out to t he midfield. Gee, maybe PLAYING OUR BEST BALL-PLAYING DEFENDER, AND POSSIBLY BEST PLAYER, FROM THE TOP MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA, YOU DUNCE!!! And hooking the awful Joelinton for Carroll paid off in spades. I'll take it, and the current form run, but it's smoke and mirrors, sadly.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Embarrassing not to have a shot on target, especially with Carroll (early) and Gayle (late) missing sitters, but this was a banana-skin game all the way anyway. You take St. Maximin, Almiron, and Shelvey out of the side through injury, and have to rely on payers like Atsu and Muto off the bench, and forget about it.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Another smash and grab win, which are sure in the heck better than draws or pathetic loses! Fair play to Bruce in the 1st half, having the team pushing forward with the wholly defensive Dummett in at wing back due to injuries and Hayden out of position on a wing. Brutal criticism of Bruce in the 2nd half being totally unable to change the tempo when the team had absolutely nothing. Palace dominated completely. If Manquillo doesn't play lights-out against Zaha (who would have thought Manquillo would come on like this?), and if Dubravka isn't on top of his game, we lose by several. Instead we don't concede, a cross goes in and somehow falls to Miggy for an absolutely cracking goal for him to break his duck and get Newcastle a win wholly against the grain of the game.

I mean, I'll take it, but Newcastle has to play better or these will turn into losses and the relegation zone will loom. Brighton got into trouble like this last season, and I'd like the team to build rather than regress.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose