THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Newcastle FINALLY replace Rafa...with Steve Bruce. Steve Bruce! With less than a month left to go in the transfer window/until the season, and without signing a single player yet, AFTER having sold the top scorer. Championship, here we come!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Newcastle FINALLY replace Rafa...with Steve Bruce. Steve Bruce! With less than a month left to go in the transfer window/until the season, and without signing a single player yet, AFTER having sold the top scorer. Championship, here we come!
Yeah so I assume that they were inclined to believe Perez was leaving anyway? That was a good signing for Leicester.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
If I thought Newcastle would go down last season despite Rafa, they're DEFINITELY going down this season under the absolute muppet Bruce. My only hope is that he doesn't get time and gets fired before he does too much damage. Not only did he somehow make Norwich look like Liverpool, his team didn't even TRY. At least when Rafa's teams lost, they were organized defensively, it wasn't by tons of goals, and they WORKED HARD.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Yeah, things aren't looking good.

ESPN did a best case/worst case for way each EPL team.. with the ownership situation, Newcastle's worst case was a Sunderland like freefall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I thought Newcastle would go down last season despite Rafa, they're DEFINITELY going down this season under the absolute muppet Bruce. My only hope is that he doesn't get time and gets fired before he does too much damage. Not only did he somehow make Norwich look like Liverpool, his team didn't even TRY. At least when Rafa's teams lost, they were organized defensively, it wasn't by tons of goals, and they WORKED HARD.

I'm not so sure. They ran into a Norwich team that I have seen twice now, and IMO will be a top half of the table team and Pukki will be among the lead leaders in goals.

I think they will be in a battle for a lot of the year, but have enough talent to stay up. Not sure if Bruce is the man to do it though.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This post didn't age well Stout. [emoji2]

yeah congrats Stout. big win for Newcastle. in the other thread he said spurs could score 5 or 6 goals. I mentioned spurs troubles. spurs don't score goals before halftime, particular at home for some reason. they often just play to their opponent. and their early season MVP (VAR) was a no show today. they finally paid the price for leaving it late. they need to do better in the first 20 mins of home games. that's your chance to put people away.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

yeah congrats Stout. big win for Newcastle. in the other thread he said spurs could score 5 or 6 goals. I mentioned spurs troubles. spurs don't score goals before halftime, particular at home for some reason. they often just play to their opponent. and their early season MVP (VAR) was a no show today. they finally paid the price for leaving it late. they need to do better in the first 20 mins of home games. that's your chance to put people away.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score

And I'm so happy it didn't. Thanks, gmabel, Lorenzo! I'm thrilled to be wrong! I'm also thrilled it was Tottenham the Mags took down. Couldn't happen to a douchier team. Kane's dirty as hell and always gets gifted penalties. Not this time, sucker! And talk about a lack of sportsmanship. I can maybe see not kicking the ball out for injury at the very end of a game when a guy goes down well behind the play, but when the KEEPER has the ball and there's plenty of time in the game, that's just crappy sportsmanship. And then they did it again! Yeah, suck it, Spurs!

Have to hand it to Bruce for this one. As poor as he was setting the team up for Norwich, he did a Benitez at Spurs. And, make no mistake, that's exactly what he did. The same frustrating (even to me) defensive tactics and the same exact formation. Which is a good thing. Nothing wrong with copying a master's tactics!

Bruce still comes in for one scathing criticism, however. St. Maximin had a hammy problem, Bruce said they didn't want to rush him back for fear of making it worse...and then he rushed him back. Had to be subbed off early with a hammy problem. Idiot.

Still, huge win! Needed it, too, considering the tough matches ahead.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a pen for Kane. That wasn't dirty, it was a clear foul. Not sure how you can say it wasn't a foul?

I'm glad Newcastle won, but that should have been a pen.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
That was a pen for Kane. That wasn't dirty, it was a clear foul. Not sure how you can say it wasn't a foul?

I'm glad Newcastle won, but that should have been a pen.

Well, former head of officiating Gallagher nailed it on the head--why is Kane not trying to keep the ball, but rather bundling over top of Lascelles? You know, running into the fallen player rather than the player running into him? Because he's Harry Kane, who knows he can buy a penalty. EFF Harry "I'm going to red card injure your players and not even get a yellow" effing Kane (past incident). VAR is here, son, and you don't get cheap-o penalties any longer.

Sorry for the strong response, but Spurs and Kane get sooo much handed to them, so it's nice to see it not happen for once. And it's so nice to see that Newcastle didn't get ref-screwed for once.

The lack of sportsmanship comments came from not putting the ball out, though, not from the penalty shout.

The incident I quoted happened two years ago when Kane scissors kicked Lejune from behind and put him out for 3 months in an incident that would have given Shelvey a 5-match ban. Golden boy Kane? Just a foul, not even a yellow.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, former head of officiating Gallagher nailed it on the head--why is Kane not trying to keep the ball, but rather bundling over top of Lascelles? You know, running into the fallen player rather than the player running into him? Because he's Harry Kane, who knows he can buy a penalty. EFF Harry "I'm going to red card injure your players and not even get a yellow" effing Kane (past incident). VAR is here, son, and you don't get cheap-o penalties any longer.

Sorry for the strong response, but Spurs and Kane get sooo much handed to them, so it's nice to see it not happen for once. And it's so nice to see that Newcastle didn't get ref-screwed for once.

The lack of sportsmanship comments came from not putting the ball out, though, not from the penalty shout.

The incident I quoted happened two years ago when Kane scissors kicked Lejune from behind and put him out for 3 months in an incident that would have given Shelvey a 5-match ban. Golden boy Kane? Just a foul, not even a yellow.

Why do you have to keep the ball when you are tackled from behind? (albeit from a slip) If that happened anywhere else on the pitch it is a foul, ergo pen. People go down in the middle of the pitch, stop going after the ball etc and the whistle is blown. We see it practically every game.

I don't mind the strong response. I am just looking at it as a neutral. I was happy to see T'ham lose.

I don't think that VAR should have overturned it either; it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake by the ref. I just think the referee got it wrong.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Why do you have to keep the ball when you are tackled from behind? (albeit from a slip) If that happened anywhere else on the pitch it is a foul, ergo pen. People go down in the middle of the pitch, stop going after the ball etc and the whistle is blown. We see it practically every game.

I don't mind the strong response. I am just looking at it as a neutral. I was happy to see T'ham lose.

I don't think that VAR should have overturned it either; it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake by the ref. I just think the referee got it wrong.

It's possible. It's a borderline one, no doubt about it. What I mean is, when a player chooses to go down rather than maintain possession, it's going to hurt their chances of getting the penalty. Plus, the former head of officiating was good with the call. Either way, Kane is whining, Spurs lost, and Newcastle got the win, so I'm happy.

And a correction: Kane did get a yellow for the horror tackle on Lejeuene. But, man, that was a straight red, nasty foul:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's definitely yellow plus.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Well, that fracking figures. VAR in the Premiership, so Newcastle can't get screwed by the refs any longer? Great! They'll just screw the Mags over in the league cup! Choudhary (sp?) should have seen red, clearly, and Newcastle, who leveled anyway at even strength, would have beaten 10-man Leicester. Ugh. If they're not screwed one way, they're screwed another. Because, after taking out our player and not losing theirs, it went to penalties, and those are never kind to the Mags.

But, hey, Bruce is prioritizing the cups lol

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Point today vs Watford. Two weeks until the big Stout/gmabel showdown when Brighton travels up north.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Eh, should have been 3, but I guess I'll take the point. About to get crushed by Liverfool in the next game.

It's 3 weeks away, gmabel830--next week is the international break ;)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
definitely was a penalty in my eyes because the defender took him down regardless. and I don't think VAR would or should have changed anything because the ref has to make and take ownership of a 50/50 call like that. when you watch it on reply it was tactical the way lascalles fell into kane. just my opinion. I think kane, son, and deli all have a reputation for diving(as do other star players in the Prem). and I think there have actually been situations where they have gone down too easy and it costs them when they get a real penalty. certainly I've seen penalties given for less...

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Eh, should have been 3, but I guess I'll take the point. About to get crushed by Liverfool in the next game.

It's 3 weeks away, gmabel830--next week is the international break ;)

Stupid international breaks!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
definitely was a penalty in my eyes because the defender took him down regardless. and I don't think VAR would or should have changed anything because the ref has to make and take ownership of a 50/50 call like that. when you watch it on reply it was tactical the way lascalles fell into kane. just my opinion. I think kane, son, and deli all have a reputation for diving(as do other star players in the Prem). and I think there have actually been situations where they have gone down too easy and it costs them when they get a real penalty. certainly I've seen penalties given for less...

Not tactical at all. It turns out that's the moment Lascelles's calf went.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not tactical at all. It turns out that's the moment Lascelles's calf went.

You win some, you win some. You definitely were lucky to get a point there. The ball clearly came off of his hand, which should have been a disallowed goal. Not sure how VAR didn't see it.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
You win some, you win some. You definitely were lucky to get a point there. The ball clearly came off of his hand, which should have been a disallowed goal. Not sure how VAR didn't see it.

I howl bloody murder if they call that after not awarding a clear penalty earlier in the game. Kicking someone in the box is okay, then that's okay. I think they said VAR only checked it for offside, though (the one you're mentioning). Kind of a wash, IMO.

I will say, VAR has gone Newcastle's way so far. I'm so used to them getting screwed, but no. Not thus far.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I howl bloody murder if they call that after not awarding a clear penalty earlier in the game. Kicking someone in the box is okay, then that's okay. I think they said VAR only checked it for offside, though (the one you're mentioning). Kind of a wash, IMO.

I will say, VAR has gone Newcastle's way so far. I'm so used to them getting screwed, but no. Not thus far.

Except that according to the new rule, making contact with your arm, accidental or not is an automatic no goal. It is cut and dry. The rest are subjective.

Although I do agree with you, that should have been a pen too.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Except that according to the new rule, making contact with your arm, accidental or not is an automatic no goal. It is cut and dry. The rest are subjective.

Although I do agree with you, that should have been a pen too.

Yeah, that's true. I don't think I agree with it--not because of my team's game--but because it's easy to have a ball kicked directly off your arm with nothing you can do about it.