What I Saw Preseason Game 3

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
When I talked about game timing issues from running real routes in preseason not just in practice, the first touchdown attempt to Kirk was the perfect example. That ball should have anticipated the cut point and been out sooner. Kirk was open. The announcers incorrectly said it was an overthrow; it wasn’t. It was just late.

Murray got a lesson in NFL speed when he tried to option left. The following play he got the pass batted down when he failed to put more arc on the ball or slide to a cleaner passing lane. He should correct that with experience.

A good blitz package and some poor receiving attempts concealed how poor the coverage was. Receivers were open all day.

I wouldn’t get concerned about the long TD run. It’s a teachable moment that illustrates why there’s a preseason. Cook is a great back but rarely healthy.

Worst 2 minute drive ever on Hundley’s first drive. Dump the clap. I still think the confusion between practice and game plays may be destroying offense.

Safety play was sloppy all day.

Don’t get running up the middle on 3rd & 2 during 2 minute drill. It was certain to waste the last timeout.

I don’t see how they use Edmonds to protect QB. I said before he’s going to get Murray hurt.

Horrible time management at the end of half. KK looked like a rookie.

Hundley looked shaky but again it may come down to practicing what they’re not using.

Defense was better but a tougher opponent would have buried them through the air. Some think the Vikes are major, but I don’t think the win the Central.

The O-line could lead league in penalties: no outside depth.

Overall you could see hope for the future but expect quite a bit of heartbreak during the journey.

This is sort of free flow thoughts. I didn’t tear the tape apart this time.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I actually saw enough to give me some hope for the regular season because it looked like an improvement for sure. Maybe they weren't pressuring as much, but it felt like the oline was holding up better. I didn't see anything amazing from KM, but also not enough bad stuff to be negative about it. Aside from a couple plays they D seemed serviceable.

I guess we have to wait for the Lions to know more..

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually saw enough to give me some hope for the regular season because it looked like an improvement for sure. Maybe they weren't pressuring as much, but it felt like the oline was holding up better. I didn't see anything amazing from KM, but also not enough bad stuff to be negative about it. Aside from a couple plays they D seemed serviceable.

Aside from Cook's TD and maybe one or two other plays, we didn't embarrass ourselves, and there was plenty of room to clean things up and improve our play.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The good:

K1 had some really nice throws -- the deep fade to Byrd was a dime. You see one of his positive attributes: the time he takes to plant, release and throw with velocity is so quick --

i saw at least three plays where if this were Rosen ( or most any QB for that matter) it would have been a sack. K1 turned those three into a 3 yard rush, and, two incompletions -- both where the WR could have come up with the ball. His ability to turn a 2nd and 16 into 2nd and 7 might be an overlooked aspect of this game -- the scrambles dont always have to be 25 yard runs.

I think Damiere Byrd made the team today. Very natural looking long fade catch, plus a nice punt return. Curious if Keim could pull off a trade of Pharoh Cooper to some team looking for a punt returner and last WR on their roster.

Zach Allen on D had a good game. Pass rush should be pretty good, curious about his run D.

the bad:

the run D feels like holding on by a thread. so much space, even on runs limited to 3 yards or less. Prior to last year, the run D was good -- and i fear Keim (and me) chalked up last year to poor scheme rather than talent.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to remember the game will continue to slow down for Kyler. We caught a glimpse of what this offense might look like. Three scoring drives of 8-12-12 plays was not bad. Again that is with a limited
game plan. It would have been
a lot better without 3 key holding penalties.

Oh and 2 bombs that just missed, no matter who was throwing the ball. THAT will give future defense a thing or two to think about.

Had we not allowed the long run I think we would be gushing about the defense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know we did not score any touchdowns, but I was pretty encouraged with the offense today.

Murray is going to be a stud. Keeshean is going to be a good WR for a long time. The oline looked OK - which is the best we can expect. I just wish David Johnson did not look like he was running in quicksand.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I saw plenty from KM, when the game slows down for him soon, he will start making those long passes look easy. He will figure out to slide or lean a little more a certain way to keep the ball from being batted down. That long reception to DJ on the wheel route while being blitzed, that play right there will make defenses skeptical of blitzing us a lot. KM made some great throws today. KJ will be a star. The OL (starters) played well enough today that I now have hope, seems like they started to gel a little bit today.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The good:

K1 had some really nice throws -- the deep fade to Byrd was a dime. You see one of his positive attributes: the time he takes to plant, release and throw with velocity is so quick --

i saw at least three plays where if this were Rosen ( or most any QB for that matter) it would have been a sack. K1 turned those three into a 3 yard rush, and, two incompletions -- both where the WR could have come up with the ball. His ability to turn a 2nd and 16 into 2nd and 7 might be an overlooked aspect of this game -- the scrambles dont always have to be 25 yard runs.

I think Damiere Byrd made the team today. Very natural looking long fade catch, plus a nice punt return. Curious if Keim could pull off a trade of Pharoh Cooper to some team looking for a punt returner and last WR on their roster.

Zach Allen on D had a good game. Pass rush should be pretty good, curious about his run D.

the bad:

the run D feels like holding on by a thread. so much space, even on runs limited to 3 yards or less. Prior to last year, the run D was good -- and i fear Keim (and me) chalked up last year to poor scheme rather than talent.
The Bad: Their bottom-ten roster guys smoked our bottom-ten guys.

In Flux: With the exception of Cook's TD run, our run-stoppers lunged less and filled the proper gaps more frequently.

The Good: Pass blockers gave K1 and Hundley more time to throw.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I saw plenty from KM, when the game slows down for him soon, he will start making those long passes look easy. He will figure out to slide or lean a little more a certain way to keep the ball from being batted down. That long reception to DJ on the wheel route while being blitzed, that play right there will make defenses skeptical of blitzing us a lot. KM made some great throws today. KJ will be a star. The OL (starters) played well enough today that I now have hope, seems like they started to gel a little bit today.

I thin KJ is going to be a good starting WR.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When I talked about game timing issues from running real routes in preseason not just in practice, the first touchdown attempt to Kirk was the perfect example. That ball should have anticipated the cut point and been out sooner. Kirk was open. The announcers incorrectly said it was an overthrow; it wasn’t. It was just late.

Murray got a lesson in NFL speed when he tried to option left. The following play he got the pass batted down when he failed to put more arc on the ball or slide to a cleaner passing lane. He should correct that with experience.

A good blitz package and some poor receiving attempts concealed how poor the coverage was. Receivers were open all day.

I wouldn’t get concerned about the long TD run. It’s a teachable moment that illustrates why there’s a preseason. Cook is a great back but rarely healthy.

Worst 2 minute drive ever on Hundley’s first drive. Dump the clap. I still think the confusion between practice and game plays may be destroying offense.

Safety play was sloppy all day.

Don’t get running up the middle on 3rd & 2 during 2 minute drill. It was certain to waste the last timeout.

I don’t see how they use Edmonds to protect QB. I said before he’s going to get Murray hurt.

Horrible time management at the end of half. KK looked like a rookie.

Hundley looked shaky but again it may come down to practicing what they’re not using.

Defense was better but a tougher opponent would have buried them through the air. Some think the Vikes are major, but I don’t think the win the Central.

The O-line could lead league in penalties: no outside depth.

Overall you could see hope for the future but expect quite a bit of heartbreak during the journey.

This is sort of free flow thoughts. I didn’t tear the tape apart this time.
Its pre....dont tear apart the tape. I think youre seeing way to many things to make any kind of judgement. I wouldnt mind seeing your post about the Detroit game though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose