They still are not going to show any indication of their actual offense

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe what happened to Cam Newton last night really illustrates the issue here. We either need to play the game in the manner that we practice so guys don't get clean shots at our QB or we need to not play our QB and risk injury

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We looked like a well oiled machine last year in preseason & where did it get us?? Worst Cardinal team I had seen in my 55+ years as a fan, that's where. In case you missed it, Murray was really 7-7 in the opener. The Cardinals obviously weren't ready for what the Raiders threw at them, but even that was a little douchy for a 2nd preseason game. I'm glad it happened. I guarantee that Murray will have answers the next time a team thinks that's the answer to stopping him.

I have concerns about the D, but not because of the preseason games. Anytime you lose both starting corners before the season even starts, you're in trouble.

They hardly looked like a well oiled machine last preseason, the defense looked good--particularly forcing turnovers, but the offense was nothing special. Anyone watching could see the potential for issues there, especially on offense. This season there are just as many concerns after 2 preseason games as ever, it doesn't appear there is significant improvement in player execution and there is a lack of talent and depth all over the field. I fully expect some of the rookies to improve as the year goes on but it's going to be a long season.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's PRE-season. Doesn't mean a thing towards our regular season.

They should do away with it (my opinion). It's a bunch of hooey.

Let the teams come in and practice three or four weeks, then play games.
:billthecat::pullhair:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you have rather that he took a big shot trying to minimize the loss on the play?

No, I just think it's funny that some try to embellish on what he did. He was 6/7 (not 7/7) for 44 yards and the lasting image from the game was him nose-diving on his final play for the night.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards success or failure is all predicated on the notion that they have a better mouse trap.

If they lay a giant turd against Detroit the lid is gonna fly off of this thing.
That will happen regardless of what the game looks like

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I just think it's funny that some try to embellish on what he did. He was 6/7 (not 7/7) for 44 yards and the lasting image from the game was him nose-diving on his final play for the night.

You are doing the polar opposite and trying to make it sound worse than it was. He woulda have been 7/7 if not for the rookie mistake running out of bounds. he had a great performance in that game and he had no option but to fall down on third down. he showed poise, good decision making, athleticim and accuracy. It was a great showing for a rookie on a 2 yard line and to act like it wasnt is just being a troll.

then he shat the bed completely in week 2 but again, just like with rosen, the fall down play you blame him for was all on the blocking and game 2 murray had no chance no matter how good he is.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The whole thing about we are going to add some wrinkles, basically means they are going to try some more added safe plays for variety but they are not going to show their actual offense. If they had the plan to guise their offense in the first two games, makes no sense to show anything now
Imo, they will add some wrinkles, they will just add a few things to the 6 or 7 plays they've ran in preseason so far. Maybe some motion or reverses, something like that? I will be shocked if they run anything that is being practiced for the real games. No way of knowing really if we haven't been to a practice & seen it ran lol.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well if he throws a 20 yard pass completion , and then we watch two consecutive holding calls are you going to hold it against him?
Penalties killed any chance we had at a drive against the Raiders, take away those & a couple passes weren't a little overthrown & we may have not had all the bad game for Murray discussion?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You are doing the polar opposite and trying to make it sound worse than it was. He woulda have been 7/7 if not for the rookie mistake running out of bounds. he had a great performance in that game and he had no option but to fall down on third down. he showed poise, good decision making, athleticim and accuracy. It was a great showing for a rookie on a 2 yard line and to act like it wasnt is just being a troll.

then he shat the bed completely in week 2 but again, just like with rosen, the fall down play you blame him for was all on the blocking and game 2 murray had no chance no matter how good he is.
He had to nose dive, it was a bad snap. Thought he showed a lot of poise being backed up to our own 2 yd line, first series of his Cardinal career. Had KJ not stepped out of bounds....................? May have led us to points on his first drive? I hope he leads us on an 80 yd td drive first series against Detroit.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Assuming this is a shot at me, so I’ll retort:

Yes, this is preseason and the results don’t matter, but you want to see a handful of examples that the team is competent, especially the first and second team guys. As it stands, we have a defense that looks as bad, if not worse, than the circus act on the field last season. We have a starting quarterback who has yet to cross midfield, even against second-team defenses; the same defenses his backup is doing well against.

I get that the everything’s vanilla, but give us something we can chew on besides the hype that’s been pushed since January
I agree with you on the defense, I wanna see something positive against the Vikings, like make a tackle in the backfield & stop giving up 6, 8 & 6 yd gains to start the game. The offense I'm not worried about, KK can call plays, this offense will move the ball when the games count. He is very creative, when the NFL DC's start catching up a little, he will throw new stuff at them, he's damn good at scheming plays against defenses. Not a doubt in my mind he will be successful at calling plays in the NFL. Scheming plays & adding stuff is why the man never sleeps & is at the office every day before the sun comes up.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You're right, 6-7 but KJ stepped out of bounds on what was a long first down reception to keep the drive alive. Only problem is he can't touch the ball first, he did, made the catch though, ran a nice route. Had he not stepped out, that drive would've continued & we may have scored points? Lot of poise to move us as far as he did, considering we started at our own 2 yd line. He had to dive on the ball, it was a bad snap, better than a turnover. This kid is talented, just sit back & watch him do his thing, he will have a few growing pains for sure, but I assure you he will wow us more often than not.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think people misrepresent preseason by saying it is meaningless. Yes, the final scores and record is meaningless because you are playing a variety of players, many of whom will not make the roster.

I do think it is naive to ignore how your starters, particularly the offense, play in preseason though. If they play great it does not mean they will play great in regular season. However if they play bad in most or all of preseason it does give me some level of concern. When I watch preseason and see an offense that consistently can't move the ball it's less likely for that offense to light it up regular season.

If we see some life out of our starting offense in game 3 and 4 I will feel better about our prospects for the season opener.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only thing I hope to see is better O line play....better protections...reading blitz and having guys READY and actually blocking
They were caught with their pants down last game
They were not ready for any blitzing
If the o line looks better I’m good
If not...cards are dead

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
KK can call plays, this offense will move the ball when the games count. Not a doubt in my mind he will be successful at calling plays in the NFL. Scheming plays & adding stuff is why the man never sleeps & is at the office every day before the sun comes up.

Hmmm... Joined 2 days after the KK hire, blind faith in ability, intimate knowledge of sleep and work schedule. Are you really KK, or maybe his mom? :D

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are doing the polar opposite and trying to make it sound worse than it was. He woulda have been 7/7 if not for the rookie mistake running out of bounds. he had a great performance in that game and he had no option but to fall down on third down. he showed poise, good decision making, athleticism and accuracy. It was a great showing for a rookie on a 2 yard line and to act like it wasnt is just being a troll.

I didn't say anything about Kyler's performance being bad against the Chargers. Hard to argue with 6/7 for 44 yards on very limited playing time. But there's no need to embellish it and say he was REALLY 7/7. No he was not. The WR stepped out and came back in and was first to touch the ball so it did not count. Counting it is basically like saying he didn't get sacked on the aforementioned play because the snap was premature. Uh, still counts regardless of the snafu on the snap. ;) :semantics:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about Kyler's performance being bad against the Chargers. Hard to argue with 6/7 for 44 yards on very limited playing time. But there's no need to embellish it and say he was REALLY 7/7. No he was not. The WR stepped out and came back in and was first to touch the ball so it did not count. Counting it is basically like saying he didn't get sacked on the aforementioned play because the snap was premature. Uh, still counts regardless of the snafu on the snap. ;) :semantics:

you're just being obtuse for the sake of having an argument. You know what people mean, yet you choose to nitpick it so you have something to argue.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Imo, they will add some wrinkles, they will just add a few things to the 6 or 7 plays they've ran in preseason so far. Maybe some motion or reverses, something like that? I will be shocked if they run anything that is being practiced for the real games. No way of knowing really if we haven't been to a practice & seen it ran lol.
Whether or not we give away trade secrets will be secondary to how well we execute and match up.

From a fan's standpoint - we'd naturally like to know how play on the field in Game #3 will translate to how the team will look during the regular season. Good luck with that. (Either it will reveal stuff or it won't and we won't know which until after those games are played).

letbob

Reaction score
Message to starters: "Offense -Move the football down the field. Defense-Minimize their run game"
Let's get some positives out of week 3. Please.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we can move the ball before the season ends I think it bodes much better for us that they can do it in the regular season than if they can't. I'm just looking for a flash of something.

Rosen flashed out there a bit last night and even though it may not have been with and against the same starters during Fitzpatrick's series if I were a dolphin fan it would give me some hope. I just want something good to talk about after the next game. I also think it wouldn't hurt to give KM more than 2 quarters unless he is getting ate up.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When you a rookie preseason reps count for something. A veteran star QB not so much. So like I said, if he's not getting ate up I think he could use as many reps as possible. If he's getting mauled there is no reason for him to be in because there will be little to gain from the experience. If he's not taking hits there is no reason not to be in as much as possible. Even under ideal conditions there is as good of chance a injury takes place in week 1 vs the preseason or doesn't take place at all. So if the off chance of injury is the biggest obstacle for KM and the offense then none of the key players should play a single rep in preseason.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Don’t matter if they don’t practice and execute running the ball - fundamentals- blocking, tackling, bread and butter run plays.

Play action must be realistic