Did the Raiders game plan for the Cards?

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sorry if this topic had already been addressed in a former thread, but did John Gruden actually game plan against the Cardinals instead of keeping things purely “vanilla”?

I’m just curious what everyone’s observation was. Despite the putrid performance by the Cardinals, I still can’t help but feel that Kliff is keeping things under wraps offensively...

Last edited:

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Sorry if this topic had already been addressed in a former thread, but did John Gruden actually game plan against the Cardinals instead of keeping things purely “vanilla”?

I’m just curious what everyone’s observation was. Despite the putrid performance by the Cardinals, I still can’t help but feel that the Kliff is keeping things under wraps offensively...
good question. I think he did and it makes sense. They have to play KC 2 times every year so they can use all the practice they can get against a similar player and system.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
good question. I think he did and it makes sense. They have to play KC 2 times every year so they can use all the practice they can get against a similar player and system.

Certainly, we’re not equating Kyler Murray to Patrick Mahomes and Kliff Kingsbury to Andy Reid, are we?

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I’m just curious what everyone’s observation was. Despite the putrid performance by the Cardinals, I still can’t help but feel that Kliff is keeping things under wraps offensively...

Way to be observant JosiahLee , When Gruden called the second time out in the first quarter , I said to myself , Damn it looks like Gruden is game planing to win this game . Then why would they try to hide things from a Div, Op they played 2 times last season ? Did the blitzing on every down on defense catch the Cards off guard , Yep ! Me , I think we are going to be really good right out of the gate . I will be glad to discuss how we divy up the Crow after the Detroit Game ! If we fail I will be glad to Eat My Part , I have never felt this confident going into a season . Even with the injuries , and the PED's, I believe we are going to have a winning season . RISE UP RED SEA !

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gunther is old school & definitely game planned for K1. Once K1 left the game, they ran a much more vanilla style D. Exactly why we ended up scoring 26 points. Gruden didn't care if they won, but they no doubt were practicing early on for Mahomes/Chiefs. K1 was MIFFED that the Cardinals didn't care to react to the Raider's approach. I loved seeing how pissed he was that he had to play with both hands tied behind his back. I only wish that we had the Raiders on our schedule this year. Even though it was preseason, K1 didn't take kindly to the exuberance of the Raiders D. The next time we play the Raiders in a real game, expect K1 to go off on them.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cards game planned as well. Every team, even in the preseason, game plans so they can work on certain things. As K9 mentioned in another thread, this is how they decide what plays they will run...by game planning.

So poor little Kyler got blitzed in the preseason by a team that wanted to actually use the game reps add an opportunity to, oh I don't know, improve themselves.

Regardless of all of this, Cardinals players were getting their asses kicked all over the field during that game and people are concerned if the Raiders were "game planning".

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Cards game planned as well. Every team, even in the preseason, game plans so they can work on certain things. As K9 mentioned in another thread, this is how they decide what plays they will run...by game planning.

So poor little Kyler got blitzed in the preseason by a team that wanted to actually use the game reps add an opportunity to, oh I don't know, improve themselves.

Regardless of all of this, Cardinals players were getting their asses kicked all over the field during that game and people are concerned if the Raiders were "game planning".
Is anyone even making a big deal out of this? You are acting like a bunch of people are angry that Oakland would have the audacity to blitz so much. All I have seen is people making the observation that Oakland sure seemed to blitz a lot more than you would normally see in a preseason game and thus it appeared to catch the Cards with their pants down.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't believe that Gruden was trying or not trying to win the game. It seemed to me that he was more concerned to see how his (Paul Gunther's) blitz packages would work against a mostly passing offense. We're not KC, but for Gruden, you have to start somewhere.
Two available strategies:

1. Hide your intentions.

2. Show your intentions to give future opponents something to worry about.

Either approach is valid.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the Raiders game planned for the Cardinals and Murray to make a statement.

Those blitz calls were there for a reason.

I wish the Cardinals played the Raiders again this season.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gunther is an underachieving douchebag who has never had his defense ready to win a playoff game and moreover is “old school” and wanted to prove his worth. Gruden is on record complaint about snap claps dating back to his days at ESPN. They absolutely gameplanned and the “pretty boy football” is 110% Gruden. Lamarcus Joyner isn’t smart enough to come up with that.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gruden wanted to make a statement against K1, hand clapping, and pretty boy ball. He is an egomaniac and the tone for his team was set the entire week before game day. “This style of football doesn’t belong in the NFL” was the bulletin board message.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
yes they did, but it means nothing as the Cards had a vanilla offense and had nothing special for the O line for blitz calls....they will now
the game was horrible for the Cards and way over rated on both sides.
Yes Gruden came in to kill KM....for what reason I'm not sure, but he had a motive...that was clear

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
yes they did, but it means nothing as the Cards had a vanilla offense and had nothing special for the O line for blitz calls....they will now
the game was horrible for the Cards and way over rated on both sides.
Yes Gruden came in to kill KM....for what reason I'm not sure, but he had a motive...that was clear
He did cards a favor, for Murray doesn’t know how to handle the blitz because teams in NCAA never did.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
NFL teams have more blitz options than you can imagine. Depending on what stunts you call blitzes 20 or more would be common. There are 3 basic types of zone blitzes, there’s man blitzes and numerous line stunts. There are typically labeled by which position blitzes (safety blitz), targeted area (A gap for example from the Raider game) or some cute name with no football reference (blonde blitz). Of course the formation 3-4 or 4-3 typically controls the choices available. In the Raiders game they just used a few blitzes from their packages. I sure this was the game plan though it was not nearly as complex as a regular seasons’ would have been.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Certainly, we’re not equating Kyler Murray to Patrick Mahomes and Kliff Kingsbury to Andy Reid, are we?
I didn’t say they were as good as them, I said the scheme and style of plays are similar.... you do realize KK coached Mahomes....right? Not that far a leap to assume he wants his defense ready for that.

Last edited: