Peter King FMIA: reason for optimism?

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gruden would try and embarrass us and in turn hype his team. Who allows his players to criticize and make fun of another team after a preseason game?!! Dude let's his 2 best players go and has alot to prove. Getting hype early. typical Gruden

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's very clear that we're not showing tempo, we're not showing off RPOs and Murray's running ability and we're not showing off the deep passing concepts in the preseason. I actually think that when these things come out, we're more likely to look more explosive on offense early in the year and then regress toward the mean somewhat.
Agree. Once the DC's get a hold of some tape they will be able to scheme against us.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gruden would try and embarrass us and in turn hype his team. Who allows his players to criticize and make fun of another team after a preseason game?!! Dude let's his 2 best players go and has alot to prove. Getting hype early. typical Gruden

Gruden does Gruden. Arians does Arians. Coach X does Coach X.

So it is another coach's fault now? come on Cards_Campos.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gruden does Gruden. Arians does Arians. Coach X does Coach X.

So it is another coach's fault now? come on Cards_Campos.

No Im just saying that we are not running our offense. Gruden and the DC set up Blitz after Blitz ...knowing we were not going to exploit it. There is a reason why Texas Tech was the 2nd least blitzed team in college.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean everyone will have seen only PART of the offense. Most coaches only show a small portion of their play book in the first game and add to it with each additional game.

For example with the Lions KK will most likely select plays that he thinks will work best against them. He will then get with K1 and pare it down even more. Then for the Ravens the game plan will look completely different. It will take 5 or 6 games before teams start to get a decent book on the Cardinals new offense.

This offense isn't some new invention. Running it's tempo isn't giving away the whole playbook.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Pretty much what Ive been saying about them not showing their game plan in preseason. Not a big surprise here. Cant wait for Sept 8.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So basically we are still trying to sort out football fundamentals before we can worry about executing the playbook? That's how I read that.

The KK interview does not inspire confidence as much as it sounds like someone telling you not worry, the check is in the mail.

It still didn't explain why it is so secretive and what is to gain by it.

I'm not saying Game 1 cannot be an offense on fire. My gripe is it seems like smoke is being blown up arses.

"Mechanics" are different from "fundamentals." The clap count is an example of a mechanic that was fine in Week 1 and needs to be worked out over the next couple weeks. Kyler's never had the coach in his ear, and they're working that out. Those are mechanics that are important to get done right now, because the bodies on the field don't matter much.

Maybe it doesn't work. The biggest problem, IMO, is that the WRs aren't going to be experienced enough to make the plays when it counts. But it's important to remember that these guys are running hundreds of reps during the week and we see a couple dozen during a game before Kanfield comes on the field.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OT but Jimmy G just went 1 for 6 with 0 yards, 3 batted passes at line plus 1 int in 10 plays. ESPN gamecast showing QBR of 0? Is that even possible? Mullens going 20 for 20 & 4 TDs now lmao

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think its legit. Preseason means nothing. The Rams dont even play 85% of their starters at all!! Most teams play starters 10% of the game. We have seen many times 4-0 preseason teams suck and 0-4 preseason teams win the Division. Also has anyone really paid attention to all the experts about David Johnson. He is ranked in top 5-7 fantasy players in all of football. All of them think that.
Also Murray made a great point. Texas Tech didnt have the athletes Oklahoma or Texas did....and they were still scoring 43 points. I'm not judging this team..Murray or KK until week 4. But Peter King has seen practice and he said it isnt anything like what was run in the Oakland game. So you guys who dont buy it....they saw it.
The only thing we fans have to go with is what we see.

If K2, indeed, is playing his offense close to the vest, we can "hope" he will confound opposing defenses, but we really won't "know" unless/until we see it.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Basically the team is showing nothing offensively. What we see in the preseason is no indicator of the offense that will roll out week 1 (noted the abundance of multiple TE sets as an example).

I hope to Christ not, Murray has yet to cross the 50.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I liked this article. For those who really advocated for Murray in the draft, a patient approach is probably the best approach. I say that because accurate, hard working, and smart normally work in the NFL long-term. He is accurate. He is smart. Whether he can stay healthy and work on his craft enough to overcome his lack of experience, size, and this roster is the question.

It's always somewhere in the middle isn't it? He's not as terrible as the Rosen truthers and isn't as great as the Kyler truthers.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Oh I hope I'm surprised just not counting on it.

So what's the plan then in preseason? Not use our "real" protections so KM can get harassed and not have a chance for downfield plays to develop so we don't expose it for the Lions? Have trouble lining up on purpose to trick the Lions into thinking we aren't capable of using tempo? What about the other 15 opponents?

If someone can explain the reason why you wouldn't show your "real" offense (not saying entire playbook) in preseason but you would in Game 1 maybe I can wrap my head around it. It's not like KK doesn't have college tape on him. It's not like one game without tape is going to make or break the season.

A realistic approach and that's totally fair after what we all were subjected to last year. I'm in a wait and see as well.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not saying the offense won't work...i am not saying it will work...however

The league had seen up tempo offenses

The league has seen RPO

The league has seen crossing patterns, bubble screens, jet sweeps.

DCs on the Cards schedule have seen Texas Tech tape by now and probably have spoken to Tech opponents DCs for ideas.

Playing it close to the vest is fine but the info is mostly out there already. This isn't some innovative offense that will turn the league on it's ear. Kyler is the wildcard.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good piece by Peter King. Gives me optimism for the regular season. I understand that Kliff is keeping his offense under wraps but what about the defense it's looked pretty putrid. Hopefully they are going to be more physical against the Lions.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
one thing i found interesting / hopeful:

the play he describes: Isabella on a jet sweep, all the motion to the left, quick pass to DJ on the right. We havent seen anything like that in a game

the closest thing we have seen to that in a game in the game 1 RPO where he threw in the flat to Larry Fitz

its been pretty straight up other than that

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
one thing i found interesting / hopeful:

the play he describes: Isabella on a jet sweep, all the motion to the left, quick pass to DJ on the right. We havent seen anything like that in a game

the closest thing we have seen to that in a game in the game 1 RPO where he threw in the flat to Larry Fitz

its been pretty straight up other than that

I don't think that play happens in a real NFL game. You have four offensive players in the middle of the field? Maybe someone squirts outside, but I think it's more likely that a defender rolls over Justin Pugh and blows the whole thing up.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Last night Terrell Davis said (paraphrase) KK is making it look he has some brand new revolutionary Offense that no one has seen and said it was silly to be making it so top secret since after a few games DCs will know it anyway
Again I'm paraphrasing I can't find the exact quote

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not a doubt in my mind they will score points. Imo, they will average between 24-28 this season.

28pts would put us at the 4th highest scoring offense in 2018. Since we were dead last in 2018 I see only room for improvement but I think going from last to top 5 in a single season is very optimistic. I would be happy with a 24pt avg as that would mean we have an above avg offense. I doubt our O is going outpace the D though. Last year we gave up 26 PPG. Unless the improves quite a bit I don't see how the O can make up for it to produce a winning season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose