Having The First Choice On The Waiver Wire

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Who? This is the nonsense that Wolfley sells starting a week from now, and it's almost never true. Even under Arians, some camp body would be picked up for a hot minute on someone's practice squad and never be heard from again.

I mean I would have to research it K9, since of course I don't remember anyone specifically.

But I'm pretty sure that during that three-year span where we won 34 games (2013 - 2015), we would cut guys, and like you said, they would at least get brought in by other teams for a work out.

I was just looking nostalgically back at those years when we weren't quite so desperate to bring in guys who weren't going to make another team's 53.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Was watching Cards Cover 2 the other day and I believe I heard either MJ or CG say that in recent years the team holding the first choice on the WW, that come the final cutdown to "53", picked from 4-7 guys who were cut by other teams. Wondering how many we'll select. This is an excellent opportunity to improve our roster.
Both our lines need it badly at this point. We need a space eating NT to tie up blockers for sure. Hopefully we can get guys that are cut because of money & or age, not because of injuries. We'll have to take the best of what we can get, if it's as little as performances from yrs past?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can’t.
I just cant get excited about the waiver wire.

It’s like we are picking others people garbage. :(

Sorry for being a Debbie downer.
I don't like it either, but at this point we need bodies/depth on both lines. I'm hoping for veteran money/age casualties with no long injury history.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, this is a 9-win team that just needs the worst 55th-60th best players on a handful of teams to really complete the picture.

Players with 5+ years in the NFL aren't exposed to the waiver wire; they become immediate free agents.
I love the optimism on 9 wins. I've said 8 for a while now, with a break or two maybe more?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When Keim is your GM...Other peoples trash, is for sure...Your treasure!
SK said the other day that they are working the phones constantly. Let's hope that he gets us a few surprise players to generate a little more hope with depth? Fat lady ain't singing yet, there's still time. Not the ideal way to build a team but we added some key pieces in the draft & you can't build a team in just one yr. Cuts after training camp are all we have left to complete this team for the coming season. I wanna compete this yr, can't stomach another season like last yr so here's for hoping SK can get something done?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Simple, this team is going to have to make some trades or at least one for the OL to protect our rookie QB. It's not about winning now but winning in the future when I think we finally have gotten our franchise QB with a exclamation point. Trade a second for Trent Williams or whatever. I have no problem trading picks for a cohesive NFL quality line since this scouting department has proven they cannot judge OL draft picks

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Re. Trent Williams. Don't know if it's true, but he was compared to former MN Pro Bowl tackle, Gary Zimmerman, who was traded to Denver for a first, second and sixth. And that Washington is asking for the same.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Re. Trent Williams. Don't know if it's true, but he was compared to former MN Pro Bowl tackle, Gary Zimmerman, who was traded to Denver for a first, second and sixth. And that Washington is asking for the same.

William's is getting older AND has had injury concerns. No way I throw 1st or even second rounders in a deal for him.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who? This is the nonsense that Wolfley sells starting a week from now, and it's almost never true. Even under Arians, some camp body would be picked up for a hot minute on someone's practice squad and never be heard from again.

The only guy who I can remember being claimed off of waivers was Logan Thomas to Miami and then he was signed to their practice squad a week later.

Guys like Cole Toner and Evan Boehm got picked up to peoples practice squads after they cleared waivers, but like you said quickly faded to no where.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I mean I would have to research it K9, since of course I don't remember anyone specifically.

But I'm pretty sure that during that three-year span where we won 34 games (2013 - 2015), we would cut guys, and like you said, they would at least get brought in by other teams for a work out.

I was just looking nostalgically back at those years when we weren't quite so desperate to bring in guys who weren't going to make another team's 53.

Your memory isn't bad. Based on sportstrac, 2013 10 guys we released were signed by other teams, 6 in 2014 and 3 in 2015. Guys we waived that were signed by other teams, 9 in 2013, 7 in 2014, and 6 in 2015. Most guys didn't do much, a few like Teddy Williams, Robert Nelson, Ricky Lumpkin and Logan Thomas bounced around the league for the next few years. There were a couple that worked out. I'd take a Dan Carpenter or Senio Kelemete right now.

Senio Kelemete released 8/30/13, signed to NO’s PS, played in at least 10 games a year from 2014 on, starting G for HOU last year and this year so far

Dan Carpenter K released 8/30/13, played all 16 games for Buffalo 2013-2016

Jemell Fleming waved 8/30/13, played 9 games for JAX 2013 and 8 and 16 games for KC 2014-2015

Reggie Walker LB released 8/30/13, signed by SD played in 16 and 11 games for them 2013 and 2014

Adam Snyder released 4/28/13, signed by SF and played all 16 games in 2013 and played for NYG in 2014

Jasper Brinkley released 2/28/2014 played in 15 games for NYG in 2014

Ted Ginn released 2/28/2015 4yr starter in CAR now in NO

Lorenzo Alexander 8/30/15 signed by Oakland played all 16 games in 2015 and then became a 3yr starter in BUF 2016-2018

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The only guy who I can remember being claimed off of waivers was Logan Thomas to Miami and then he was signed to their practice squad a week later.

Guys like Cole Toner and Evan Boehm got picked up to peoples practice squads after they cleared waivers, but like you said quickly faded to no where.

I remember Boehm being quite serviceable for Indy last year when he started at center for a stretch.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Your memory isn't bad. Based on sportstrac, 2013 10 guys we released were signed by other teams, 6 in 2014 and 3 in 2015. Guys we waived that were signed by other teams, 9 in 2013, 7 in 2014, and 6 in 2015. Most guys didn't do much, a few like Teddy Williams, Robert Nelson, Ricky Lumpkin and Logan Thomas bounced around the league for the next few years. There were a couple that worked out. I'd take a Dan Carpenter or Senio Kelemete right now.

Senio Kelemete released 8/30/13, signed to NO’s PS, played in at least 10 games a year from 2014 on, starting G for HOU last year and this year so far

Jemell Fleming waved 8/30/13, played 9 games for JAX 2013 and 8 and 16 games for KC 2014-2015

Reggie Walker LB released 8/30/13, signed by SD played in 16 and 11 games for them 2013 and 2014

Adam Snyder released 4/28/13, signed by SF and played all 16 games in 2013 and played for NYG in 2014

Lorenzo Alexander 8/30/15 signed by Oakland played all 16 games in 2015 and then became a 3yr starter in BUF 2016-2018

Of those guys:
Kelemete was signed to our practice squad then poached by New Orleans and three were transactions that started at the beginning of the league year. Not really compelling evidence of anything. Reggie Walker was released before Bruce Arians' first season as head coach. :shrug:

Lorenzo Alexander is a weird case. Not sure why he ended up being cut; he seemed to be a good spot starter and special teamer, then had a miraculous season at age 31 in Buffalo.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Wow, tremendous work sir. Thank you.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How could the cards even do a trade for trent williams - isn't his salary like 15 million. Cards only have like 6 million in cap room.

Who are they trading for him - Fitzgerald?

I don't see a deal that works cap wise for the talent the cards would have to give up.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How could the cards even do a trade for trent williams - isn't his salary like 15 million. Cards only have like 6 million in cap room.

Who are they trading for him - Fitzgerald?

I don't see a deal that works cap wise for the talent the cards would have to give up.

If traded, the Cards would have to account for his $10.85M salary once the season starts. The Cards have a little over $6M in cap room, but they could
  • Convert half of that salary into signing bonus and spread the hit into 2020
  • Get some money back by converting a portion of Patrick Peterson's $11 million base salary into bonus and push that into 2020
  • Extend Patrick Peterson by adding 2-3 years onto the end of his current contract (ending in 2020), which would have the same effect
  • Convert a portion of Chandler Jones' $16 million salary into bonus and push it into next year

The Cards will have almost $35 million coming off the cap next year in dead money. They have nearly $70 million in cap space for 2020. There are always ways to find money to get a deal done.

But in reality, I don't think the Cards are going to be that good this year, and perhaps Murray can protect himself with his feet. Would you give up a first-round pick or a second-round pick that could be in the top 45 selections for him right now?

He's an excellent option for teams like Houston, where he could make the difference between making the playoffs and winning the super bowl.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If traded, the Cards would have to account for his $10.85M salary once the season starts. The Cards have a little over $6M in cap room, but they could
  • Convert half of that salary into signing bonus and spread the hit into 2020
  • Get some money back by converting a portion of Patrick Peterson's $11 million base salary into bonus and push that into 2020
  • Extend Patrick Peterson by adding 2-3 years onto the end of his current contract (ending in 2020), which would have the same effect
  • Convert a portion of Chandler Jones' $16 million salary into bonus and push it into next year

The Cards will have almost $35 million coming off the cap next year in dead money. They have nearly $70 million in cap space for 2020. There are always ways to find money to get a deal done.

But in reality, I don't think the Cards are going to be that good this year, and perhaps Murray can protect himself with his feet. Would you give up a first-round pick or a second-round pick that could be in the top 45 selections for him right now?

He's an excellent option for teams like Houston, where he could make the difference between making the playoffs and winning the super bowl.

Well, if he can be useful beyond this year I would give up a third rounder for him. Not a first or second though.

I just know what we have at tackle is not going to stay healthy for even half the season, and the jokers we have backing them up are complete turnstiles.