Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gets a big fat old... MEH.

There's some really good scenes and solid performances, but overall, it's my least favorite film of his. And he went to the well one too many times to try and surprise and shock. I won't say how, but suffice to say, i wasn't surprised when something big happened.

If his next (and supposedly last) is actually Star Trek, which he's mused about, that will be a damn shame.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I actually really enjoyed it. It’s definitely a character piece and I was way into the characters.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Release date: July 26, 2019
Studio: Columbia Pictures (Sony)
Director: Quentin Tarantino
MPAA Rating: N/A
Screenwriter: Quentin Tarantino
Genre: Drama, Biography

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kurt Russell, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Timothy Olyphant, Damian Lewis, Dakota Fanning, Clifton Collins Jr., Emile Hirsch, Luke Perry, Keith Jefferson, Nicholas Hammond, Al Pacino, Scoot McNairy, Mike Moh, Lena Dunham, Austin Butler, Maya Hawke, Lorenza Izzo, Rafal Zawierucha, Danny Strong, Sydney Sweeney, Damon Herriman

Plot Summary: Set in Los Angeles in the summer of 1969, Tarantino’s upcoming movie focuses on a male TV actor named Rick Dalton (DiCaprio) who’s had one hit western series and is looking for a way to get into the film business. His sidekick Cliff Booth (Pitt) who’s also his stunt double, is looking for the same thing. The horrific murder of Sharon Tate (Rick’s neighbor in the film) and four of her friends by Charles Manson’s cult of followers serves as a backdrop to the main story.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Gets a big fat old... MEH.

There's some really good scenes and solid performances, but overall, it's my least favorite film of his. And he went to the well one too many times to try and surprise and shock. I won't say how, but suffice to say, i wasn't surprised when something big happened.

If his next (and supposedly last) is actually Star Trek, which he's mused about, that will be a damn shame.

I thought this film was amazing. The details were so nearly perfect I felt like I was in 1969. Brad Pitt should have been in Tarantino's films all along. He killed every scene he was in.

You knew something was coming, so the ending wasn't surprising, but they still knocked it out of the park.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought this was a great movie. Maybe a tad overlong, but still a good effort--Tarantino has definitely improved as a director--the sequence with Cliff at Spahn's Movie Ranch was definitely Hitchcockian in its suspense.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I thought this was a great movie. Maybe a tad overlong, but still a good effort--Tarantino has definitely improved as a director--the sequence with Cliff at Spahn's Movie Ranch was definitely Hitchcockian in its suspense.

That is a perfect analogy. Scenes like that are why I love movies so much. Bruce Dern was great casting for that role. Not only did the scene have the right amount of suspense, but it had the perfect conclusion by Cliff. What a great character.

I could have watched another hour of this film easy.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought it was a really good movie. My biggest problem was the start. Started soooooo slow. After that? The movie was pretty damn good. I just wish they had done a better job of pacing at the start.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I loved Bruce Lee getting worked over by Pitt’s character. It was a great and classic twist by Tarantino.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I loved Bruce Lee getting worked over by Pitt’s character. It was a great and classic twist by Tarantino.

On the flip side, I refuse to watch it because of that. Well, I would refuse if I had the time to watch it. He's had a hate-on for Lee for too long, or at the very least passively and actively has disrespected him for many moons. I hate that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
On the flip side, I refuse to watch it because of that. Well, I would refuse if I had the time to watch it. He's had a hate-on for Lee for too long, or at the very least passively and actively has disrespected him for many moons. I hate that.

I didn’t know it was a running thing with him. I just figured it was a shock value thing since the two most talked about scenes from the movie went against what actually happened; Bruce Lee and the ending.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Interesting. I was wondering why that scene was in the movie. Seemed a bit out of place.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

He has? He paid homage to him by dressing Uma Thurman in a yellow jumpsuit in Kill Bill in honor of Bruce Lee from Game of Death. I recall him in an interview at that time stating Bruce Lee was a heavy influence.

Two things that scene I took as a tie to make that character look good. I didn’t care for the depiction as a plot device only because I thought an actual similar incident that really took place was funny in its own right. I have no clue if he was basing that scene on that incident or not.

My brother who worked in martial art stunts and choreography told me the story 25 years or so ago of another martial artist (Judo) who did have an incident with him on that set. They played a trick on Bruce using another martial artist. The guy surprised Bruce and picked him up but never threw him against a car. They actually became friends and trained together.

I am assuming Tarantino didn’t stick more to the actual incident because it had less entertainment value. IMO It was funny in its own right and it wouldn’t have pissed off Lee’s family I don’t think.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't remember the guys name above in my story. My other brother reminded me. His name is Gene LeBell. He is the guy that had the actual incident with Bruce on set. My brother just watched the movie this past weekend and he agrees that QT lifted his scene from the actual event even if he doesn't admit it.

Oh...and Lee's daughter is right. Q needs to shut up. He is digging himself deeper.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seen it and it’s alright. I would rank Pulp Fiction, Resevior Dogs and Django all above this.

I thought the first half super slow the second half awesome. The Spahn Ranch scene was intense. I was getting really bored until this scene.

I loved the dog but I’m pretty sure they didn’t have Bullies back then that’s a pretty new breed.

I’ve heard the Gene Lebelle story before. He’s a legend in judo the best ever pretty much

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I read that they changed the scene because Brad Pitt didn't want to disrespect Bruce Lee and made it end in a draw rather than besting him as in the original script.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I finally saw this. I loved it.

As soon as the jingle for 93 KHJ came on the mood was set for me. Los Angeles in the late ‘60s in six notes. (Though I preferred KRLA which was at 1110 on your radio dial.)

I loved seeing the feeling of L.A. back then. Tarantino nailed it right down to the bus benches with George Putnam’s smug smiley face on them. (He’s the guy that inspired WKRP’s Ted Baxter.).

The movie is a love letter to L.A. See it with a native and watch their face light up.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching this....

The feel of the era and the music were excellent, but the rest of the movie was an overlong slog through.... I'm not sure what. The Bruce Lee fight was stupid. The imagined Manson family slaughter at the end, a riff on the stupid ending with Hitler in Inglorious Basterds, seemed to be included as if Q forgot to include enough of his trademark over the top violence, blood and gore. LSD soaked cigarette? And for 50 cents? Uhhhhhhh no and no. And keeping a readily available, fully functional flamethrower in your pool house?

Sorry..... with the exception of Pulp Fiction, I just don't get Holywood's love affair with Q. This one was a very well made throw away, IMHO.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching this....

The feel of the era and the music were excellent, but the rest of the movie was an overlong slog through.... I'm not sure what. The Bruce Lee fight was stupid. The imagined Manson family slaughter at the end, a riff on the stupid ending with Hitler in Inglorious Basterds, seemed to be included as if Q forgot to include enough of his trademark over the top violence, blood and gore. LSD soaked cigarette? And for 50 cents? Uhhhhhhh no and no. And keeping a readily available, fully functional flamethrower in your pool house?

Sorry..... with the exception of Pulp Fiction, I just don't get Holywood's love affair with Q. This one was a very well made throw away, IMHO.
The absurdity was kinda the whole point.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave