Carmelo Anthony to the Suns?

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why or why not?

I am, at best, a casual Suns fan since Colangelo sold the team.

So I’m looking for your thoughts on Melo to the Suns on this hypothetical question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely not. I wouldn't want him near Booker, Ayton, or Oubre for starters. He's a selfish me-first scorer whose game doesn't fit in the modern NBA. He's not a good 3pt shooter and he's not good at driving to the basket either. He offers nothing but scoring and he's not an efficient scorer either, as mentioned with him being a poor 3pt shooter and not very good at driving to the hoop. He also doesn't play defense or do anything else on the floor other than score inefficiently.

At his age, he's too slow to be a SF and he's not willing to battle for rebounds as a PF so he doesn't have a position anymore either. He'd be best suited playing in the Big 3 league because he's unwilling to accept a bench role to help a team either because he's convinced himself he's still the Carmelo that the Knicks gave up a ton for in a trade about a decade back. The Knicks thought about bringing him back this offseason but once they struck out on other free agents they decided he wouldn't fit with their youth. They could have had him for nothing, basically, and didn't want to try again because of who he is and his reputation. Part of the reason they traded him is because he didn't mesh well with Porzingis. They know better than anyone that you don't want young players around him.

If he had something to offer than someone would have taken a shot on him by now but no one has and that's largely because of his attitude combined with his deteriorated and dated style of play. It's debatable if his style of play ever really helped his teams wins much of anything anyway. He couldn't make it work in Houston despite playing in D'Antoni's wide open offense and he held the Thunder back the year before he went to Houston, both improved once they got rid of him. Both were contenders and if he wasn't willing to alter his game to compete for a title then he wouldn't alter it to help develop the young core here. No thanks!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never wanted Carmelo Anthony when he was considered good. He is ball dominant which doesn't fit with the Suns team approach.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Is Greg Anthony an option? Because I would take him before Carmelo Anthony.

Also, Earl Anthony, Anthony Hopkins, Anthony Quinn, Anthony Perkins, Antonio Sabato, Jr., and almost anyone else with the name "Anthony"... or even "Carmelo," for that matter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you guys are too harsh on Carmelo. I find it interesting that all the former player comments I've come across paint him as a great player and a great teammate yet we call him a useless, ball-hogging cancer? Still, I think between his age and the fact the game has clearly moved away from him, he would not be a good choice for us. And even if he were, I doubt he'd have any interest in us.

It didn't work the last time we brought him in but if I were looking to add a really old veteran, I'd give Vince Carter a call.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you guys are too harsh on Carmelo. I find it interesting that all the former player comments I've come across paint him as a great player and a great teammate yet we call him a useless, ball-hogging cancer? Still, I think between his age and the fact the game has clearly moved away from him, he would not be a good choice for us. And even if he were, I doubt he'd have any interest in us.

It didn't work the last time we brought him in but if I were looking to add a really old veteran, I'd give Vince Carter a call.
I guess watching play, and watching every team he goes to suffer and then try to dump him like a carton of curdled milk, has jaded me.

OP
OP
Cardsmasochist

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Clickbait!!!

Even Nigerian princes aren't this sly!

:bang::madarms::ban:
:D
I knew that Melo has a reputation as being selfish but others say he is a future HOFer because he is a 10x All-Star, 3x Olympic gold medalist and NCAA champion.

That’s why I posted the question. To get your opinions since you follow the NBA a lot closer than I do.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess watching play, and watching every team he goes to suffer and then try to dump him like a carton of curdled milk, has jaded me.

I've always thought he was a selfish player and a team killer as a result (just not to the degree we're talking about here) but I end up questioning myself when I hear so many former players rave about him as a player and a teammate. I think they're wrong but there is room for doubt apparently. Regardless of whether he is or isn't a problem, he isn't our solution.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew that Melo has a reputation as being selfish but others say he is a future HOFer because he is a 10x All-Star, 3x Olympic gold medalist and NCAA champion.

That’s why I posted the question. To get your opinions since you follow the NBA a lot closer than I do.

Oh he'll definitely waltz into the HOF once eligible.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He will get into the hall of fame, but he's lucky he entered the league when he did. All he did was put up large totals on massive usage, if he played like that in the evolved NBA his limited skills would limit his touches.

He'd be viewed as a somewhat better version of TJ Warren.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He will get into the hall of fame, but he's lucky he entered the league when he did. All he did was put up large totals on massive usage, if he played like that in the evolved NBA his limited skills would limit his touches.

He'd be viewed as a somewhat better version of TJ Warren.

I somewhat agree as teams do look at analytics now...and it was easy to see that he killed any type of flow to the team.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Saying Carmelo's offense wouldn't fit in today's NBA is like saying Kobe Bryant's offense wouldn't fit in today's NBA. They're about the same efficiency wise. Carmelo was a bit better 3 point shooter. What separates them is Carmelo's work on the defensive end. That's why Kobe is considered a top 10 player with a psychopathic will to win, and Carmelo is considered what he is.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Saying Carmelo's offense wouldn't fit in today's NBA is like saying Kobe Bryant's offense wouldn't fit in today's NBA. They're about the same efficiency wise. Carmelo was a bit better 3 point shooter. What separates them is Carmelo's work on the defensive end. That's why Kobe is considered a top 10 player with a psychopathic will to win, and Carmelo is considered what he is.
Somewhat true, but I will say that Kobe was a much better passer and was better at getting to the FT line in his prime than Melo was.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Somewhat true, but I will say that Kobe was a much better passer and was better at getting to the FT line in his prime than Melo was.
Kobe was a crunch time assassin. But the most important thing is that Kobe produced wins for his team.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Carmelo is the all -time reigning empty stat "superstar."

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some player are just not winners. Plus he is 35 on a team with a young core which makes no sense.

That would be a no for me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Carmelo was more extreme with his terrible shot selection than Kobe and less efficient, he also was not a passer.

And yeah, I think Kobe, if he wanted to win, would have to play a somewhat different style if he was in the league now, but I also think Kobe, in his prime, had the skills and competitive drive to adapt if that were the case. Carmelo didn't.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose