Some quick notes from Red/White Practice

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
  • Smaller crowd than last year with Wilks?
  • Marcus Gilbert leads the O into the field
  • Murray extremely swaggy. Only Card not wearing uniform pants in warmups
  • Very high tempo practice except for the OL. Have concerns about conditioning for that group.
  • QBs spent 5 minutes practicing RPOs
  • Murray will fumble. Holds the ball like a loaf of bread.
  • OL is extremely bad and the reason we’ll be bad this year.
  • Cards haven’t had a worse #2 QB in a long time than Hundley.

My thoughts on the way back to the car once the scrubs came is were that the offensive line is so bad we’re going to wonder what Murray might really be capable of. It could likely cost Steve Keim his job, because this pedestrian group of interior rushers got though constantly during 11 on 11. With a couple injuries on the OL, Kyler could be looking back to his baseball career more fondly.

Isabella was out and I didn’t see Kirk playing with the ones, but this offense didn’t look or feel all that fast. Defense looks about league average, with the secondary a strength.This was probably a 6 win team last year with a drag of awful coaching; its probably still another year away from being competitive.

It was shocking how bad that OL looked.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
  • Very high tempo practice except for the OL. Have concerns about conditioning for that group.
My thoughts on the way back to the car once the scrubs came is were that the offensive line is so bad we’re going to wonder what Murray might really be capable of. It could likely cost Steve Keim his job, because this pedestrian group of interior rushers got though constantly during 11 on 11. With a couple injuries on the OL, Kyler could be looking back to his baseball career more fondly.

Isabella was out and I didn’t see Kirk playing with the ones, but this offense didn’t look or feel all that fast. Defense looks about league average, with the secondary a strength.This was probably a 6 win team last year with a drag of awful coaching; its probably still another year away from being competitive.

Thanks for the recap. Have to keep in mind though that these guys on the oline need time to gel and defense usually ahead of offense this early.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lol what an awful recap. Holy hell.

Hey! The same thing that people said about my recap last season.

David Johnson was working with Kyler on the RPO drill. He barely played in the scrimmage section, but he did have a mental error on a screen play that Murray was in his ear about afterward.

Murray does have exceptional acceleration. When he decides to put his foot in the ground and go, he’s off. He’s just going to have to adjust to that moment faster at this level and with this offensive line, because there were no windows on the outside.

Chad and Brandon Williams were both not wearing pads. I hadn’t heard that’s Chad was injured, but I think Brandon might still be on PUP?

Out-of-staters who think that K1 and K2 are setting the valley on fire are mistaken. Most quiet crowd I’ve seen in many years.

K1’s short TD to White was really nifty, though.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is epically poorly written. It's fine to say the OL will be trash, but back it up with some thoughts. This reads like a diary entry.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Zane Gonzalez is missing field goals in practice.

Fitz and Andy Lee are a year older.

OL if not terrible is certainly the achilles heal.

DL does not even have enough bodies. One or two injuries on that DL, fans will be missing Wilks in run defense. Rodney Gunter is going to play starter?

Let's not talk about LBs again.

P2 suspended first six games.

Looking at videos in one of the threads this evening 28 looks faster than 31.

If Murray can pull this team to six wins, it will be a terrific achievement.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

DL does not even have enough bodies. One or two injuries on that DL, fans will be missing Wilks in run defense. Rodney Gunter is going to play starter?

How would be missing Wilks for anything... especially run defense with that clown Holcomb

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

Kicker should not be an issue with a team that will (hopefully) be fighting for wins. If Zane Gonzalez is missing kicks in practice, get rid of him. Special teams needs to be a strong spot for this young team. Can’t be missing field goals

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shoot even Humphries said the entire o line was out of gas
No stamina and bad players
Murray will be running for his life

I see the entire next year draft going O line and D line

Betting on the Cards is foolish at this point

At least the OP gave an honest review....the really sad part is the O line was getting destroyed by Gunter and the scuba we got....not Aaron Donald...
There’s a reason every outlet has the Cards 32nd
Drink up all the Kool Aid we can because reality is gonna come fast

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shoot even Humphries said the entire o line was out of gas
No stamina and bad players
Murray will be running for his life

I see the entire next year draft going O line and D line

Betting on the Cards is foolish at this point

At least the OP gave an honest review....the really sad part is the O line was getting destroyed by Gunter and the scuba we got....not Aaron Donald...
There’s a reason every outlet has the Cards 32nd
Drink up all the Kool Aid we can because reality is gonna come fast
Camp Cup Cake

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

I thought the crowd size was larger than last year. Also, I liked that it was an entire scrimmage as opposed to last year where wilks ******* was having them do drills the whole practice except for maybe the last 20 minutes.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If there is no improvement on the O-line then Keim needs to be fired. It's not like it was a secret that last year's squad was put together with Scotch tape and Krazy Glue. And Keim didn't spend a draft pick on an offensive lineman until the 6th round and it isn't like the o-line hasn't been a problem since 2012 either.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thoughts from a "Glass is half full" poster. I read that the OL lined up in wider spacing than usual, with the guess that it would not be the case when going up against Aaron Donald.

We were (and will be in the PS) pretty vanilla. Hence, no four WR sets.

Hundley was signed because he was more of a fit for the KK offense. We'll see how he does in the PS, even if we don't see the KK offense.

Of course it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to worry about the backup QB, as our season depends upon KM. If he goes down, the season's over.

The crowd looked pretty good, especially considering that most experts have us tagged to finish near the bottom of the NFL. I'm sure nine out of ten were there to see KM. And I don't think that they were disappointed.

Reading between the lines of K9's post were the lack of criticism of KM. I was expecting at least one of the haters to throw in a "he's too short to play QB" barb.

I'll end by saying that the OL will probably keep us from being VG this year, but if KM is as good as advertised, I think we're on our way to righting the ship. And next offseason, hopefully we'll fix the OL.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You jumped for joy didn’t you?
No. Despite what you think, I have no interest in watching 16 games of bad football, but I'll be there to watch come rain or shine.

I just don't need in-depth analysis of footwork, strength, or scheme to be told that a team whose key offseason acquisitions were Sweezy and Gilbert looked bad up front.

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
If there is no improvement on the O-line then Keim needs to be fired. It's not like it was a secret that last year's squad was put together with Scotch tape and Krazy Glue. And Keim didn't spend a draft pick on an offensive lineman until the 6th round and it isn't like the o-line hasn't been a problem since 2012 either.

Thank you! I have been scream about this for years. The o-line has needed (big) help for as long as I can remember and Keim continues to ignore it. Maddening!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Last year I dubbed the OL the Eggshell Line. This year is not substantially different in that regard. However they may be more skillful. That said, I don’t think they will play aggressively until the real games start. Right now my guess is they’re focused on making it there in one piece.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the concerning:

the wide line splits dont seem to match with personnel. As an example, Sweezy is a brawler, not a good feet guy. Humphries is a far better run blocker than pass protector. i just feels like the Cards are giving D coordinators an easy way to get the guy they want matched one v one with the offensive lineman of their choosing.

not a fan of the running nothing of note, even in a scrimmage or preseason, or, not giving Murray extended action. I guess thats the entire NFL these days, but still......

the encouraging:

Murray is not just getting "he looks good" reports -- he is getting "wow" reactions from independent journalists covering the team. Somers and Bordow as an example. Its early, but sure beats the alternative

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave