Mercury to play 2020 Season @ Veterans Memorial Coliseum

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read this today and I dig it. I haven't been to a Mercury game in a couple of seasons, the last time I went was when Taurasi took the season off to play in Russia. It was still a good outing and the tickets were free, so the price was definitely right. I was about 5-6 rows back and had never been that close to an event at AWA before. I could imagine how much a Suns ticket would cost in the same area.

The Phoenix Mercury were searching for more than a place to play in 2020 and perhaps 2021 while Talking Stick Resort Arena undergoes renovations.

They wanted a home, somewhere that their loyal fan base could embrace and where a playoff-contending team could continue to benefit from one of the WNBA’s best home-court advantages.

"We’re trying for the best possible experience for our players and for our fans," Mercury Chief Operating Officer Vince Kozar said. "To have one location, one home" preferably in Phoenix instead of another Valley city, for practices and games over four-plus months.

"It was vital to find a solution to keep basketball in the city of Phoenix," team Vice President Ann Meyers Drysdale said.

That solution, as it turns out, was three miles away at Veterans Memorial Coliseum, home of the Phoenix Suns from 1968-92 before their move to the downtown Phoenix arena, which is set to receive a $230-million facelift.

The Suns still will play at Talking Stick Resort Arena during the renovation, but major work next summer will require the move by the Mercury, who announced their plans Wednesday.

Source AZ Central

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's awesome - will have to go to some games for the nostalgia effect

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Man, I am sad they will have games there! Nostalgia will be gone fater you attend a game there! Ugh!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Man, I am sad they will have games there! Nostalgia will be gone fater you attend a game there! Ugh!
Huh? Even without the typo, I don't get it.

During the renovation, the Mercury will have to play somewhere. Why not at the Coliseum?

Back in the day, when I discovered that the best entrance and exit to parking was directly
off 19th Ave., rather than all the way up to Encanto, I was in and out in minutes.

Stopping at the Original Hamburger Works at Thomas & 15th Ave. became a tradition.

Their burgers were not special, but the chuck-wagon salad and condiment bar was cool!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Huh? Even without the typo, I don't get it.

During the renovation, the Mercury will have to play somewhere. Why not at the Coliseum?

Back in the day, when I discovered that the best entrance and exit to parking was directly
off 19th Ave., rather than all the way up to Encanto, I was in and out in minutes.

Stopping at the Original Hamburger Works at Thomas & 15th Ave. became a tradition.

Their burgers were not special, but the chuck-wagon salad and condiment bar was cool!

Best entrance was off of Palm Lane.