US

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Trailer is awesome...bonus points for being filmed in my hometown.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw the trailer before Glass, also. Looking forward to this one.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
more social commentary?

Nothing to do with race this one is about class in America.

Jordan Peele is doing some pretty interesting stuff. Never saw this coming from him but good for him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Jordan Peele is doing some pretty interesting stuff. Never saw this coming from him but good for him.
I have also had some interesting discussions with educated black men who feel that black americans worst enemy is themselves.... this film looks like it may touch on that.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Us

Release date: March 22, 2019
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Jordan Peele
MPAA Rating: N/A
Screenwriter: Jordan Peele
Genre: Thriller

Starring: Lupita Nyong’o, Elisabeth Moss, Winston Duke, Tim Heidecker, Shahadi Wright Joseph, Evan Alex, Madison Curry, Cali Sheldon, Noelle Sheldon, Duke Nicholson

Plot Summary: A mother (Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o from Black Panther, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and 12 Years a Slave) and a father (Winston Duke from Black Panther) take their kids to their beach house expecting to unplug and unwind with friends (including Emmy winner Elizabeth Moss from TV series The Handmaid’s Tale). But as night descends, their serenity turns to tension and chaos when some shocking visitors arrive uninvited.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it last night with my kids. Hey, it is very well made, and it is entertaining. When it comes to a movie, that's the bottom line for me. From what I read in this forum, I would guess 80% of you, maybe 90% will like it a lot.

That said, you cannot apply logic to the plot without going "WTH?" in just two minutes, tops. The premise is absurd, of course.

The "social commentary" angle is also way overblown IMO. IDK how people got such deep stuff out of it. In fact, had the movie had a white director, and a white family playing the leading roles, this "social commentary" stuff would not even be talked about, IMHO. Although, the premise would be exactly the same. "Oh, the ugly is in US! Not others!" yeah, no crap Sherlock.

That said, I LIKED it. I would tell others to SEE it. I am open to other opinions.

OP
OP
LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
It was decent...not amazing. 7/10. Good to see my old stomping grounds though...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Nothing to do with race? *snicker* okay. It does also have to do with class in America.

This was a brilliant film, not just a brilliant horror movie. My film buff/horror officionado buddy was right with me in agreeing that Peele has knocked it out of the park with his first two movies, putting him right there with Carpenter, Craven, Romero and the rest. These two movies are just...wow.

5 stars out of 5 for me.

Those little details, like seeing the MC only through reflection while she's telling her husband about the childhood trauma, the husband pushing up his glasses and his doppleganger mirroring it, the twins immediately distinguished by the cartwheels/non-cartwheels, show me that Peele's a masterful student of film, and can seemlessly translate it into his own written/directorial work.

And how about that one dark rabbit in a sea of white ones?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It entertained... Wasn’t scary at all.

The twist at the end was pretty cool.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it last night with my kids. Hey, it is very well made, and it is entertaining. When it comes to a movie, that's the bottom line for me. From what I read in this forum, I would guess 80% of you, maybe 90% will like it a lot.

That said, you cannot apply logic to the plot without going "WTH?" in just two minutes, tops. The premise is absurd, of course.

The "social commentary" angle is also way overblown IMO. IDK how people got such deep stuff out of it. In fact, had the movie had a white director, and a white family playing the leading roles, this "social commentary" stuff would not even be talked about, IMHO. Although, the premise would be exactly the same. "Oh, the ugly is in US! Not others!" yeah, no crap Sherlock.

That said, I LIKED it. I would tell others to SEE it. I am open to other opinions.

i agree with most of the above, but I'm not sure where I stand on if I could say I liked it. A really mixed bag. Ambitious... and thought provoking after. Maybe it's one of those that will grow on me over time. Just didn't floor me like I hoped it would.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This really was not one of Jordan Peele’s best works. I think he tried to over complicate his plot and that led to quite a bit of boredom throughout the movie.

At one point, I was basically checking on my phone to see how long the movie is to see if it’s at least nearing the end.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, boring? Not scary? Surprised to be hearing this. Brilliant, IMO.
This is the kind of crap I can't stand. "I loved this movie and if you didn't, you're stupid." Not everybody has to like the same things. You liked it, bully for you. Others didn't and bully for them too. But to snicker and laugh at people who dare have a differing opinion of yours is both elitist and immature. I've seen you post many times about movies you didn't like that a vast amount of people did but I don't say anything because you're entitled to your opinion just like anyone else. Also, to put Peele up there with Craven, Carpenter, and Romero is a little premature. Right now, because of his complete body of work, I put him with Shyamalan before he went off the rails. It's way too early to lump Peele in with the masters.

That said, I enjoyed it but I'm not gaga over it. Get Out was much better IMO. But I was correct. This was creepy as hell.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

What part of that says anyone who disagrees with it is stupid? What part of that is "snickering and laughing?" Could it be the simple "IMO" at the end? No, wait, that means IN MY OPINION, so it is directly opposite to what you're claiming. Not sure where this is coming from, NJ. I literally posted an opposing OPINION. I did none of what you said. Chill out, crawl back into bed, and get out on the RIGHT side this time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What part of that says anyone who disagrees with it is stupid? What part of that is "snickering and laughing?" Could it be the simple "IMO" at the end? No, wait, that means IN MY OPINION, so it is directly opposite to what you're claiming. Not sure where this is coming from, NJ. I literally posted an opposing OPINION. I did none of what you said. Chill out, crawl back into bed, and get out on the RIGHT side this time.

literally nothing you said was insulting at all and I'm pretty sure I was the one who surprised you when I called it boring.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose