Trade candidates around the league

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Paul
Blake Griffin
Demar DeRozen

Other names will come up between now and training camp.

Blake is interesting. Just his salary would require a combo of Tyler, Baynes, Mikal, and Saric. I am not even trying to match value, just salaries.

If Detroit is rebuilding, the Suns could put together a combo to get it done. The question is whether they should go all-in with Blake. If so, he is their last piece. All cap flexibility would be gone.

Any other players on the block we should be considering?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There will probably be more candidates at the trade deadline.

I'm not thrilled with the Suns tying up their money for Griffin, Paul or Derozen. They are all older players that I don't think fit the Suns window of opportunity.

I do like Bradley Beal but he is only under contract for two seasons.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Gordon is not on market yet but he would cost more than Love. Olson mentioned Johnson's contract and multiple first round picks might interest ORL if they decide to move on from him on Burns and Gambo this afternoon. He also mentioned while Love would be a good fit but his contract and his inability to stay off injury list makes him a greater risk, which Griffin would be in the same boat.

Draymond would be interesting here but I doubt GS let's him leave now that Durant is gone.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Blake is 30. Is that too old?

The Suns are in a decent position to make a run at the right player. They have Tyler's contract at $19 million, plus young players (and more young players available on their roster by the trade deadline) and their own picks which will be perceived as valuable. Two future unprotected Suns pick would be more valuable than four unprotected Clippers picks, since the Suns picks would be projected to be in the lottery while the Clips picks would be in the 20s or later.

Also, the Suns are looked on as absolute bottom-dwellers around the league right now. If the season starts and the team is improved, even marginally, the value of those picks will go down. If they want to make a trade and the right player is available, I think it would be better to do it now rather than later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So first we wanted too many PGs. Then we wanted too many 3s. Now we want too many 4s?
Not really. We want a better starting 4. Our goal right now has to be to improve in the starting slots. The place most likely to accomplish this is at the pf position.

We have committed to Booker, Ayton, and Rubio. Oubre and Mikal look good at the three.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
A declining Griffin is better than any FA we’re going to sign over the next two years but he’s always banged up with tissue tweeks. He’s basically the PF version of KJ.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trading for another 4 after we just gave away the #6 pick to try out Saric for a year seems like a real McDonough kind of thing to do.
Nah. You are looking for significant improvement at the position--a star or near star player. Griffin is that. This is the time to jump on the opportunity for the right player if it arises. That is a Pat Riley/ Jerry West type of thing to do.

McD would sign another SG or Center.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nah. You are looking for significant improvement at the position--a star or near star player. Griffin is that. This is the time to jump on the opportunity for the right player if it arises. That is a Pat Riley/ Jerry West type of thing to do.

McD would sign another SG or Center.

And he would sign one who's talent is on par with what we already have.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
If the team doesn't improve this year they should trade for Blake, he's older but not that old and would help the sun's take a big jump up , hopefully they could do it without giving up this next drafts pick too so the can get one of the top PGs to go along with the core of Ayton Booker Griffin

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the team doesn't improve this year they should trade for Blake, he's older but not that old and would help the sun's take a big jump up , hopefully they could do it without giving up this next drafts pick too so the can get one of the top PGs to go along with the core of Ayton Booker Griffin
You can’t just trade for a player when you want to. If he is available now, and he is the player they want, they have to do the deal now.

I have a hunch they are waiting for Aaron Gordon, though.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
You can’t just trade for a player when you want to. If he is available now, and he is the player they want, they have to do the deal now.

I have a hunch they are waiting for Aaron Gordon, though.
I was thinking around the trade deadline which he'll probably be available, they definitely might prefer Gordon since he's younger I just don't know if he's the type of player you through a huge offer out there for

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gordon is not on market yet but he would cost more than Love. Olson mentioned Johnson's contract and multiple first round picks might interest ORL if they decide to move on from him on Burns and Gambo this afternoon. He also mentioned while Love would be a good fit but his contract and his inability to stay off injury list makes him a greater risk, which Griffin would be in the same boat.

Draymond would be interesting here but I doubt GS let's him leave now that Durant is gone.

None of these options excite me a lot as the final move the Suns make to be a contender. I guess it depends on the asking price on some of these players.

Beal would be a next level star. I like Aaron Gordon as well although he is not on the same level as Beal.

Love and Griffin might be opportunistic moves.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
None of these options excite me a lot as the final move the Suns make to be a contender. I guess it depends on the asking price on some of these players.

Beal would be a next level star. I like Aaron Gordon as well although he is not on the same level as Beal.

Beal is going to command a PG13 kind of haul in return unless you also take Wall.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Griffin is truly available, I think the Suns could put together one of the best offers to get him. Its just they have not really tried out the Saric/Ayton combo. Saric is younger and might be a better complement for Ayton. Griffin is a true star and at a position where upgrading might make sense. It takes more bball wisdom than I have to know which is best. One choice adds another star, the other choice might make your present stars more effective (although Griffin is a good passer).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beal is going to command a PG13 kind of haul in return unless you also take Wall.

This is why I put Beal as a player that could take the Suns to the next level.

I like some of the other players but I hesitate to mortgage the farm for them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Griffin is truly available, I think the Suns could put together one of the best offers to get him. Its just they have not really tried out the Saric/Ayton combo. Saric is younger and might be a better complement for Ayton. Griffin is a true star and at a position where upgrading might make sense. It takes more bball wisdom than I have to know which is best. One choice adds another star, the other choice might make your present stars more effective (although Griffin is a good passer).

Griffin has an atrocious contract and is NOT a star anymore. He puts up empty stats on a mediocre team, isn't a good defender, or rebounder and getting him and putting him next to Ayton would ensure we are stuck as a 40-50 win team for the duration of his deal.

No way Reilly or Jerry West would deal for him... in fact, West was WITH the Clippers after they signed Griffin to that contract and was then one of the loudest voices for getting rid of him to rebuild.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Beal would cost the world and I don't think he and Booker have complimenting talents.

Love is untouchable on that contract. The Cavs would have to pair it with a hefty load of assets just to be rid of it. He can't stay healthy and I question if if he will even be a quality starter in another year (he might not be one now).

Gordon makes sense but I have no clue what the cost would be. He is on a really friendly back loaded contract and, IMO, is a really underrated defender, I don't know why Orlando would move him unless they're blown away by an offer. If Orlando is dumping him in favor of gimmicky Bamba or the fools gold of Isaac... they're idiots.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Griffin has an atrocious contract and is NOT a star anymore. He puts up empty stats on a mediocre team, isn't a good defender, or rebounder and getting him and putting him next to Ayton would ensure we are stuck as a 40-50 win team for the duration of his deal.

No way Reilly or Jerry West would deal for him... in fact, West was WITH the Clippers after they signed Griffin to that contract and was then one of the loudest voices for getting rid of him to rebuild.

The contract and the injury history scare me but he's still a star player. He is a beast on offense and he is a solid defender, he has consistently rated as a plus defender throughout his career. He's a great post play maker too. If Griffin would waive that 3rd year team option (which would keep us a major player in the 2021 free agency market) I'd be all over getting him. But, pretty sure he wouldn't consider it, and a 3 year marriage to his banged up body is too long and expensive.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beal would cost the world and I don't think he and Booker have complimenting talents.

Love is untouchable on that contract. The Cavs would have to pair it with a hefty load of assets just to be rid of it. He can't stay healthy and I question if if he will even be a quality starter in another year (he might not be one now).

Gordon makes sense but I have no clue what the cost would be. He is on a really friendly back loaded contract and, IMO, is a really underrated defender, I don't know why Orlando would move him unless they're blown away by an offer. If Orlando is dumping him in favor of gimmicky Bamba or the fools gold of Isaac... they're idiots.

I like Booker better with a true point guard but I mentioned Beal because he is a star level player who might be available. Aaron Gordon might cost nearly as much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The contract and the injury history scare me but he's still a star player. He is a beast on offense and he is a solid defender, he has consistently rated as a plus defender throughout his career. He's a great post play maker too. If Griffin would waive that 3rd year team option (which would keep us a major player in the 2021 free agency market) I'd be all over getting him. But, pretty sure he wouldn't consider it, and a 3 year marriage to his banged up body is too long and expensive.
Ah. I was hoping your term was right and the concept wrong. You meant player option and you were right. Stink.

Still. I think I might do this. Position of need (for improvement), star player, two-way player. Not sure about Blake as a teammate. I am still intrigued by the Saric/Ayton combo though.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ah. I was hoping your term was right and the concept wrong. You meant player option and you were right. Stink.

Still. I think I might do this. Position of need (for improvement), star player, two-way player. Not sure about Blake as a teammate. I am still intrigued by the Saric/Ayton combo though.

Yep, you had the proper translation. I meant to type player option. Summer heat is effecting my brain.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He had one of his best statistical years ever, both offense and defense including advanced stats. I do not watch him closely enough to argue with you on this one, I am just not sure exactly where you are coming from on this. It is true that Jerry West dealt him. Do you know why? Quick rebuild with younger players is what I thought.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose