Scarlett Johansson says she should be allowed to play 'any person, or any tree, or any animal'

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scarlett Johansson says she should be allowed to play 'any person, or any tree, or any animal'

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/14/entertainment/scarlett-johansson-interview-trnd/index.html

Scarlett Johansson reignited debate about Hollywood actors playing characters of other races, genders and sexual orientations after saying she should be allowed to play "any person, or any tree, or any animal."

The comments came in an interview with As If magazine, where the actress addressed previous criticism she's faced for accepting offers to play minority characters. In the interview, Johansson said she doesn't think political correctness should determine what roles she can play.

"You know, as an actor I should be allowed to play any person, or any tree, or any animal because that is my job and the requirements of my job," Johansson told the magazine.

"I feel like it's a trend in my business and it needs to happen for various social reasons, yet there are times it does get uncomfortable when it affects the art because I feel art should be free of restrictions," she added.

Johansson's comments sparked widespread criticism on social media about privilege and appropriation.

"Yes, ScarJo, you should be able to play a tree. Because there aren't countless sentient trees desiring to act yet struggling to get cast in roles. But there ARE ton of LGBTQIA l/non binary actors who have vocalized that they would love to represent those characters," screenwriter Stephanie Mickus said in a tweet.

Johansson clarified her comments in a statement to CNN on Sunday, saying they were taken out of context.

"I personally feel that, in an ideal world, any actor should be able to play anybody and Art, in all forms, should be immune to political correctness. That is the point I was making, albeit didn't come across that way," she said.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What a strange person. Did she want to be Groot instead of Black Widow?

I can see it now, Bambi live action remake starring Scarlett Johannsen as Thumper.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's being reported/discussed by nearly every media outlet in the world so I'm pretty sure it's worthy of a thread on here.

:shrug:
Really? Here's what's on the front page of CNN right now:

Man soars over Bastille Day crowds on flyboard
20 of the best deals from Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale
Kim Kardsashian West shares special photo
Most Americans want less nicotine in...

Just because it's reported nationally, doesn't mean it's thread-worthy. Oh, and CNN isn't reporting about Scarlet Johanssen, so you're "nearly every media outlet in the world" is exaggeration.

I also don't see what the problem is. Her explanation sounded perfectly fine to me. Topic closed.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just because it's reported nationally, doesn't mean it's thread-worthy. Oh, and CNN isn't reporting about Scarlet Johanssen, so you're "nearly every media outlet in the world" is exaggeration.

I also don't see what the problem is. Her explanation sounded perfectly fine to me. Topic closed.
Well, this is more interesting than a kardashian sharing a photo :shrug:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To quote Andy Dufresne, "How can you be so obtuse?"

Where did the first post in this thread originate?

You must be registered for see images attach

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
To quote Andy Dufresne, "How can you be so obtuse?"

Where did the first post in this thread originate?

It wasn't there when I went there. And it's not in it's Entertainment page. But by all means, let's keep going with your petty personal attack Brian.

I still think this is a non-story. And definitely not thread-worthy.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering the little mermaid thread is 5 pages of people saying that a black girl should be allowed to play Ariel, it seems like this is a relevant topic in the movie industry right now.

Looks like she clarified it further yesterday as reported by CNN too:

Johansson clarified her comments in a statement to CNN on Sunday, saying they were taken out of context.
"I personally feel that, in an ideal world, any actor should be able to play anybody and Art, in all forms, should be immune to political correctness. That is the point I was making, albeit didn't come across that way," she said.
"I recognize that in reality, there is a wide spread discrepancy amongst my industry that favors Caucasian, cis gendered actors and that not every actor has been given the same opportunities that I have been privileged to," she added. "I continue to support, and always have, diversity in every industry and will continue to fight for projects where everyone is included."
Johansson, who in 2018 was the highest paid actress in the world, has faced criticism in recent years for accepting certain roles, most notably one depicting a transgender man. Johansson initially defended her choice by pointing to men who have played transgender women. Johansson later pulled out of the movie, saying she was "grateful that the conversation regarding inclusivity in Hollywood continues."
In 2015, Johansson also came under fire for accepting the lead role of an Asian woman in the movie "Ghost in the Shell." Fans accused the movie of "whitewashing," and criticized Johansson for accepting the part.

lol @ the whitewashing criticism part.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/14/entertainment/scarlett-johansson-interview-trnd/index.html

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't there when I went there. And it's not in it's Entertainment page. But by all means, let's keep going with your petty personal attack Brian.

"If you don't like the thread you do not have to participate in the thread."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Huh, I didn’t know we calling people out for creating threads on topics of interest to them. You don’t care for it, move along. Why bash the thread? What harm is there in its existence?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, I didn’t know we calling people out for creating threads on topics of interest to them. You don’t care for it, move along. Why bash the thread? What harm is there in its existence?

especially since this has been a story in a lot of hollywood circles and pretty much was covered in every single hollywood news outlet from deadline, to the hollywood reporter to variety to tracking board.

seems like an odd topic to get up in arms about considering the attention she's gotten for once pulling out of a role because of the stuff she was talking about and then her making it a story again bringing the topic back up.

This next question isn't one to attack, so PLEASE don't take it as such, but I'm curious to know based on the vociferous opposition to the topic... is Scarlett a Scientologist? Not saying there's anything right or wrong with her being one, but @Chaplin sometimes it seems when people involved in Scientology are talked about, it seems to rankle your feathers. Again, the question is NOT to attack Scientology or you... just trying to figure out your motivation why you have such an issue with this thread whereas most others (others who usually don't agree with each other on almost anything) see it being a normal topic of discussion.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
especially since this has been a story in a lot of hollywood circles and pretty much was covered in every single hollywood news outlet from deadline, to the hollywood reporter to variety to tracking board.

seems like an odd topic to get up in arms about considering the attention she's gotten for once pulling out of a role because of the stuff she was talking about and then her making it a story again bringing the topic back up.

This next question isn't one to attack, so PLEASE don't take it as such, but I'm curious to know based on the vociferous opposition to the topic... is Scarlett a Scientologist? Not saying there's anything right or wrong with her being one, but @Chaplin sometimes it seems when people involved in Scientology are talked about, it seems to rankle your feathers. Again, the question is NOT to attack Scientology or you... just trying to figure out your motivation why you have such an issue with this thread whereas most others (others who usually don't agree with each other on almost anything) see it being a normal topic of discussion.
JFC, seriously?

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
is Scarlett a Scientologist?

Apparently not. Neat story though......

Did Tom Cruise try to recruit Scarlett Johansson to Scientology?

The “Lost in Translation” star was expected to co-star with Cruise in “Mission: Impossible III” but was dropped because of “scheduling conflicts.” But it seems that there may have been other conflicts as well. Cruise invited Johansson to a Scientology center where he showed her literature about joining his controversial church, according to a report. “After two hours of proselytizing,” according to RadarMagazine.com, “Cruise opened a door to reveal a second room full of upper-level Scientologists who had been waiting to dine with the pair, at which point the cool-headed ingénue politely excused herself.”

The Scoop called Johansson’s mother/manager for comment and she declined, referring us to Johansson’s publicist, who didn’t return calls or emails. Cruise’s rep didn’t respond to requests for comment, but Rick Ross of CultNews.com told the Scoop: “Is this Tom Cruise’s version of a first date? It’s becoming increasingly difficult to make distinctions between his personal, professional and religious life. Tom Cruise and Scientology seem intent on recruiting a hot young star. Apparently, Scarlett Johansson flunked her test, but Katie Holmes passed.”

https://www.today.com/popculture/scarlett-johansson-escapes-cruises-clutches-2D80556384

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose