P2 wants to be a cardinal for life.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
“So it was just a lot of whirlwind going on last year,” Peterson said. “And I was just frustrated. I love Arizona. I definitely want to be there. Just that time of the year, last year, like I said, it was just very, very tough to deal with. But as being one of the leaders, I definitely felt it shouldn’t have gone that way. But people upstairs can trade players and try to shop players around whenever they need to. So I didn’t see what was wrong with me asking for a trade at the time. So it kind of works both ways.
https://sports.yahoo.com/patrick-peterson-wants-cardinal-life-163557043.html

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep him as long as he checks his attitude but again I think that improves because Wilks is gone. The real test will be if we struggle again this year to reach .500. Next year's draft and FA don't feature a CB better than PP21 so would make no sense to deal his without an upgrade on the roster. CB & OL (notably LT & RT) will be big needs next offseason as I don't think Humphries or Gilbert are back after this year. So just keep Peterson as long as he does not become a distraction.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
On a team lacking elite talent at the moment (that includes young guys who might be progressing but not there yet) you extend this guy. He's not a diva problem and he has been top five at his position for years... and please do not cite the moronic testament according to Mitch, the fiction writer of pseudo psychological fairy tales

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
On a team lacking elite talent at the moment (that includes young guys who might be progressing but not there yet) you extend this guy. He's not a diva problem and he has been top five at his position for years... and please do not cite the moronic testament according to Mitch, the fiction writer of pseudo psychological fairy tales
Agreed. Gotta keep him. Only 4-5 true stars on this team, and that is fading fast.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep him as long as he checks his attitude but again I think that improves because Wilks is gone. The real test will be if we struggle again this year to reach .500. Next year's draft and FA don't feature a CB better than PP21 so would make no sense to deal his without an upgrade on the roster. CB & OL (notably LT & RT) will be big needs next offseason as I don't think Humphries or Gilbert are back after this year. So just keep Peterson as long as he does not become a distraction.
It’s time to sell “high” on PP after last year and the suspension. His value is a bit diminished with PEDs, but let him play a couple games and if he performs well shop him. I like PP, but...

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I listened to that entire interview. Only a small portion of it dealt with his trade request from last year. Defensively, he threw the previous staff under the bus, saying they were playing a 4-3 with 3-4 talent. Gushed about Vance Joseph & said "the defense is back". They also asked about KM & Peterson said he was "special" & drafting him was an absolute must. He didn't go into details, & never mentioned Rosen by name, but said our QB last year wasn't able to run the system that our OC wanted. They asked him if KM being short would matter. PP21 said he had yet to see a pass get batted down in the OTA's. You could tell that Patrick was excited about KM.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I listened to that entire interview. Only a small portion of it dealt with his trade request from last year. Defensively, he threw the previous staff under the bus, saying they were playing a 4-3 with 3-4 talent. Gushed about Vance Joseph & said "the defense is back". They also asked about KM & Peterson said he was "special" & drafting him was an absolute must. He didn't go into details, & never mentioned Rosen by name, but said our QB last year wasn't able to run the system that our OC wanted. They asked him if KM being short would matter. PP21 said he had yet to see a pass get batted down in the OTA's. You could tell that Patrick was excited about KM.
Love hearing this. What happened to all the guys that used to comment on day to day happenings at camp like Ed B?

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Hmmm I like him a lot but don’t trust him a lot - just the way the ball spins on my field.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The problem....is that Patrick Peterson probably wants $17 million per year. He has a year left on his contract, and then the team can franchise tag him. So basically the Cardinals have him for three more years and then its probably time to let him walk.

Hes not going to be worth $17 million 2 seasons from now.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Cool. Let’s extend him. If not, put him through the franchise tag ringer. Either way, we have 4 years of control over him

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cool. Let’s extend him. If not, put him through the franchise tag ringer. Either way, we have 4 years of control over him

Remember how pissy and whiny he has been the past year or so? Imagine the franchise tag shuffle. He will be insufferable.

You're not wrong though although if a trade offer comes along that is too good to pass up I am pulling the trigger. He is on the downside of his career, only a matter of time before it starts to show itself.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Remember how pissy and whiny he has been the past year or so? Imagine the franchise tag shuffle. He will be insufferable.

You're not wrong though although if a trade offer comes along that is too good to pass up I am pulling the trigger. He is on the downside of his career, only a matter of time before it starts to show itself.

I don’t care how emotional he is. He’s an elite corner who’s in his prime (not downside). I’m also not a fan of trading known talent for potential; even if it’s for a first rounder and something else.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
Even if we improved enough to make the playoffs, Peterson would go play for a team like the Dolphins if they gave him $1 more. Dude has proven to be a "me first" guy

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

What's too good of an offer to pass up? I don't see ARZ getting offered more than one mid to late 1st round pick for him, not that I'm saying because that's all he's worth but other than the Mack trade, teams aren't giving up multiple 1st rounders for players these days. Only way teams are paying premiums are to move up in the draft, ironically for potential over established players.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mgt had better be hard-assed.

Talk is cheap. PP will still have to prove it on the field. If the Cards feel he can still bring it, they should by all means keep him. But if they're not sure, they should be open to trading him for equal or higher value.

Having followed pro football for 70 some odd years, it's been my experience that, once a dude goes public with anything less than being 100% team-oriented, he never gets his full mojo back.

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's too good of an offer to pass up? I don't see ARZ getting offered more than one mid to late 1st round pick for him, not that I'm saying because that's all he's worth but other than the Mack trade, teams aren't giving up multiple 1st rounders for players these days. Only way teams are paying premiums are to move up in the draft, ironically for potential over established players.

We would know it when we see it. There are teams who could pay a premium for PPed given people around this board are saying how great he is (personally I believe he is a great player and I don't use the term great often)

I am not saying they should be shopping him.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some of you may recall the day A. Williams took off...and the immediate drop off at the CB position.
Teams simply picked a WR or the weak corner and they marched down the field at will....ala Justin Bethal.
For the past years PP has locked down the other teams #1 WR game in and game out...and to see some people (not smart) thinking the Cards can walk away from PP and replace him like they're replacing Logan Thomas shows the ignorance of some.
PP is an amazing CB...and the second the Cardinals say his's available 31 other teams will be on the phone.
Anyone and I mean anyone on this board knocking PP's ability and what he's done at the CB position and his next 4 year potential is clueless about football.
If the Cards can get a discount by extending him now for 2-3 years....you do it.
Re: PP upset and wanting to be traded....how in the world could you blame him? He is/was an all pro All NFL 1st team CB on the worst team in the NFL year after year....he wants to play in playoff games....be in competitive games and the Cardinals simply were not even competitive no matter what he did.
Shoot last year Wilks had PP locked in on one side having to take down RB's play after play...AND HE GOT DOWN AND DIRTY....he tackled hard and his jerseys were jacked up at half time....and he never stopped.....go rewatch the Rams game in LA....he played every play like it was playoff football even when the Cards were down by 2,000 points....he fought to get a INT in the 4th...even after being on the field for 85% of the game due to the offense being unable to get 1 first down in the game.
Dude has been incredible
Anyone talking junk about PP isn't football smart...simply an over emotional fan who doesn't know X's and O's.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Correction, he has yet to shown he is on his downside yet, you are simply using a generic measuring stick for approaching thirty. Some guys do not start digressing till their mid thirties. Granted that is a few but then again there are only a few which are talented like Peterson :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave